cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Limited Upstream/Downstream speed

b74413
Participant
Private Message
Message 44 of 44

Hello,

We are on the fibre 65 package. We’ve had many issues with our internet speed and at most we get 43mb/s.

In the talk talk Wifi hub our values are:

Downstream:

Actual rate (Kbps): 45345

Maximum rate (Kbps) : 43793

Noise margin (dB): 3.10

Attenuation (dB): 18.10

Power (dBm): 13.00

Upstream:

Actual rate (Kbps): 2090

Maximum rate (Kbps) : 2090

Noise margin (dB): 7.20

Attenuation (dB): 0.00

Power (dBm): 4.70

37BE9497-1E94-4AF8-B1A1-201F300DDBEF.jpeg

The speed tests showed this:

5CA87523-946C-41B1-B75A-AE628C971608.jpeg

8C12E15C-B23F-4859-9915-BE9551910C11.jpeg

This was following the recommended steps online and resetting the router. We don’t turn off the router otherwise.

Our downstream rate has never been above 45000kbps but it’s above the minimum guaranteed speed so talk talk won’t do anything about it.
Our upstream rate is usually 20000kbps but it’s been 2090kbps for the last two weeks, which was when I came back from holiday so I’m not sure how long it’s been like that for.

If anyone knows how to resolve this issue I would be very grateful.

Kind regards

Please I just want to fix my internet I’m begging
0 Likes
43 REPLIES 43

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 21 of 44

OK, I am wondering how you have managed to get it to fly at all! It cannot be the DSL cable that came with your router as that is incapable of being connected directly to the test socket. Do you still have an old router box as I mentioned earlier so we can see if we could rummage around in there for anything useful? Otherwise I think it would be best to get that replacement router on its way and we can guide you as to how to wire it up correctly. 

0 Likes

Message 22 of 44

Ok I have just found this on the internet. Am I supposed to do this: Image from iOS (1).jpg

Source:

https://telecomgreen.co.uk/home-phone-repair/bt-openreach-new-nte5c-master-socket-guided-tour/amp/

0 Likes

Message 23 of 44

It connects directly to the router. I'm not sure what standard of cable it is, it's blank all along the wire.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 24 of 44

OK, can we just clarify what type of cable that is going through the wall and does it connect directly to the router, or via some kind of adapter?

Message 25 of 44

Yes I have tried the microfilter guide. The microfilter we have is this one and when we use it, the router just flashes slow orange for ages and we don't have internet. 

Screenshot 2022-03-09 at 13.05.15.png

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 26 of 44

Ah, I'm with you, so you mean the filtered faceplate doesn't work? In which case you need to replace that. Or use a plug-in microfilter at the test socket and then connect the router cable from that. If you have any old router boxes lying around you may find one knocking about in there. Either way, your lack of a filter would seem to be the problem. 

0 Likes

Message 27 of 44

Hi,

Can I just confirm, have you tried the below?

Your guide to microfilters

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 28 of 44

Oh no that's not the microfilter. It's just a single wire to the router. The micro filter we have is an attachment that goes on top of the socket and that doesn't work - we get no internet at all. 

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 29 of 44

That is the test socket, yes. The question is: what have you got plugged in there? If that is the microfilter and the splitter end is on the other side of that hole then it could well be the filter which is faulty. 

0 Likes

Message 30 of 44

Will that fix the upstream issue? My concern is the values shown in the xDSL - is that router related or wiring related? 

0 Likes

Message 31 of 44

Is that the test socket in the image? The filter goest directly on to it because it's an attachment that goes on top. The wire is the wire that connects to the router.

0 Likes

Message 32 of 44

Hello,

Have you ever tested with a different router? If not then we can send a replacement router which would include a new microfilter for testing purposes. We would also send a router returns bag so that one of the routers can be returned.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 33 of 44

That is the wire connecting to the router. The micro filter doesn't work for some reason : ( I tried it and we just didn't get any internet. I think it might be broken. 

0 Likes

Message 34 of 44

Hi b74413

Would it be possible to connect the router and filter directly at the test socket? (just for testing purposes)

What is the wire that is currently connected?

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 35 of 44

Just a further thought: what is at the other end of that wire going through the wall, exactly? Another pic would be great. 

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 36 of 44

Yes, with somewhat unconventional wiring coming out of it! If you can disconnect that current wire and then connect your router via a microfilter directly into there for testing purposes that will help. I guess that this may not be straightforward, but it only needs to be temporary. 

Message 37 of 44

I have an Open reach 5C master socket. Is this the test socket?  

image.jpg

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 38 of 44

Try the test socket, it will rule out any internal wiring. 

0 Likes

Message 39 of 44

No it is not connected to my test socket. I want to fix my upload speed please. 

0 Likes

Message 40 of 44

Hi b74413,

Thanks for answering the security questions. Line test is passing and your sync speed is 43.6Mbps. Your guaranteed minimum speed is 46Mbps. Is your router currently connected to your test socket?

Chris

0 Likes