cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Low speed

AnybodyHome
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 21 of 21

Hi,

I upgraded my package to FIbre 65 last week but I'm getting download speeds less than 30mbps.  The last speed test reached only 18.1mbps.  Fibre 65 is rated as having an  average speed of 67mbps.  What's going on?

Cheers,

20 REPLIES 20

Message 1 of 21

Hello,

Thanks for confirming 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 21

Hi Michelle,

Yes the crackling has gone, the previous router must have been on it's last legs.  

Cheers,

0 Likes

Message 3 of 21

Morning,

Thanks for the update. Has the crackling also disappeared with the new router? If the speeds are currently within the predicted speed range for the line then there is not much more we can do/advise to increase the speeds any further.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 21

Hi Michelle,

Managed to find a router and tried it over the weekend.  The measured speed has gone up to just over 30 mbps, which is an improvement to what we were seeing before.  Its still a long way off the Fibre 65 rates, can you suggest how to get it up to the advertised speed.

Cheers,

0 Likes

Message 5 of 21

Hello,

No problem, please let us know how you get on.

Thanks 🙂

0 Likes

Message 6 of 21

Hi Michelle,

I might have one in the loft, let me go and have a dig before you send another.

Cheers,

0 Likes

Message 7 of 21

Hello,

Thanks for confirming that the crackling isn't there when the router is removed. Do you have an alternative router that you can test with? If not then please let us know and we can send a replacement router for testing purposes. We would also send a router returns bag so that one of the routers can be returned.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 8 of 21

Hi Chris,

We do have a security system, but I don't believe it's connected to the phone.  

Cheers,

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 9 of 21

Just a random thought, do you have a home security / alarm system that might be connected to your phone line, as they can sometimes 'phone home' at unusual times of the night.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 21

Hi Chris,

The crackling isn't  there when the router is disconnected.  I don't know if it helps but I've had calls to 033 numbers appearing on the itemised phone bill at strange times like the middle of the night or when I know we haven't used the phone.  I did query it before with support but was told that it was just the "system" syncing.

Cheers,

0 Likes

Message 11 of 21

OK thanks, noise on the line can affect your broadband speed. If the crackling continues we can arrange engineer visit to investigate. Do you know if the crackling is still there with the router disconnected?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 12 of 21

Hi Chris,

The telephone is working but we have been experiencing some crackling.  It's been happening on and off for the past month.  Doesn't happen on every call just random.

Cheers,

0 Likes

Message 13 of 21

Thanks, are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service, any noise on the line?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 14 of 21

Hi Chris,

Just the one (BT) phone socket. One telephone and one router connected to socket.  The only things connecting to the router are the kids computers for doing homework, in the evenings.  We don't do any streaming, so no music, films or other.

Cheers,

0 Likes

Message 15 of 21

Thanks for answering the security questions, your predicted range is 31.8Mbps-35.3Mbps with a guaranteed minimum of 28.6Mbps. Line test is passing and current sync speed is 37.9Mbps. 

How many telephone sockets do you have? Do you have anything connected to your telephone socket(s) in addition to your router and one telephone?

Chris

Message 16 of 21

Hi AnybodyHome,

I've sent you a PM to confirm some details so that we can look into this further

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

AnybodyHome
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 21

Great, thank you!

Support Team could you please confirm what speeds I should be achieving.

Cheers, 

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 18 of 21

The figure of 67mbps is the average speed across all customers who have the product, some people who live close to the street cabinet will get 80mbps, but the further you live away from the street cabinet, the slower the speed you will get.

Assuming you have been successfully upgraded to Fibre 65 (i.e. in 'My Account' it shows you are on Fibre 65), then if your estimated speeds are only 29-35 then being on Fibre 65 is actually pointless, as Fibre 35 can provide speeds of up to 40mbps.

However if Fibre 35 and Fibre 65 were being offered at the same price, then there is no harm in you being on Fibre 65, but the '67mbps average' does not mean that is the average speed that you will get as an individual.

Having said all of that, the support team here should be able to pick this up tomorrow and just check that the speeds that you are getting really are the best that your line can achieve.

Skynet_TX_0-1652214234497.png

AnybodyHome
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 19 of 21

Hi Skynet_TX, 

My estimated speed is showing as 29-35mbps.

I ran a TT speed test and it came up with: Speed to router = 37mbps, Speed to device = 32mbps

The guaranteed speed is given as 29mbps

The speed test figures are higher than anything I've gotten using a speed test tool on Google, but it seems a lot less than the advertised figure of 67mbps.

Cheers,

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 20 of 21

Hi @AnybodyHome,

The 'average speed' is just a marketing number, the actual speed you will get is totally dependent on the length of the phone line between your home and the street cabinet.

What speed were you quoted when you signed up to Fibre 65 ?

Were you on Fibre 35 before ?, if so what speed did you get on that ?

If you go to the Service Centre what does it show for your ‘Estimated Speed’ and your ‘Measured Speed’