cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

New USer - unable to access work VPN using TALKTALK router

A_J_G
First Timer
Private Message
Message 9 of 9

I took delivery of a new TALKTALK 300mb service last week and have been unable to connect to my work VPN since.

The issue is reporting as : the VPN connection between your computer and the VPN server could not be completed.  . . . . . . internet device not configured to all GRE . . 

My work have investigated for 4 days and everything points to the talktalk router, especially after seeing several posts on her for same issue.

please advise ASAP. thank you

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 1 of 9

Hi @A_J_G,

The choice is yours, you are perfectly entitled to use your own 'non TalkTalk' router. I just replied to this topic to advise you that it is highly likely that the Sagemcom you have would also work fine if the firmware was changed to a different version. But you are free to use either router. If you got the Sagemcom firmware updated (and if that did indeed resolve the issue), then at least you would then know that you have two working routers, so you would have a backup in case one of them ever failed.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 9
0 Likes

Message 3 of 9

"should"  ?

but I have it "actually working" now 😞

0 Likes

Message 4 of 9

Hi A_J_G

VPN should work ok on your TalkTalk router once we make a change to the firmware version.

Thanks

Message 5 of 9

Hi, 

I am relatively new to this community and confused.

The day I had my new talktalk service installed i spent 4 hours on chatnow with a technician because the VPN was not working, to no avail. (It had worked perfectly for the previous 3 years using EE router)

I then spent 5 days with my office tech support and my manager trying to work out why we could not connect to VPN - which we eventually identified as a GRE issue.

last night I escalated via billing that I was going to cancel my service

they transferred me to the talktalk tech online using chat now.

She did not mention anything about upgrading the firmware (even though I asked her, as I had read many posts on here).

She said, she would need to send me a new router.

I said I already had a spare (because i knew about the GRE issue), which was significantly higher spec than the standard TALKTALK units.

She suggested me to swap to this new unit.

It worked first time without any intervention or changing any settings, fixed the VPN issue, I was happy.

So . . . . . why would I want to re-install a router that does not work, and may only [quote]"probably" work if the firmware is upgraded ?

And . . why are people "liking" a post that offers a [quote]"probably made to work" solution when I already have a working solution ? (Do we get extra credit on our talktalk bill if we like a certain amount of posts?)

For me, the post was closed when I posted the updated status saying it was fixed and included how it was fixed.

Summary : if your VPN to work does not connect, either INSIST on a firmware upgrade, or buy yourself a talktalk compatible router that is GRE enabled. It is only a 5 minute fix - not 5 days.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 9

Hi A_J_G

If you would like us to look at the firmware on the Sagemcom, connect it up and give us a shout.  You can of course continue to use your own router if you prefer.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 7 of 9

Hi @A_J_G,

The Sagemcom can probably be made to work, the latest firmware has introduced some VPN issues, but the support team here can apply a different version of firmware that will probably fix it.

For one of the TalkTalk Support Team on this community to be able to look into this you will need to update your community profile to include your name, landline telephone number that your TalkTalk service is provided on (or account number if you don't have a phone) & an alternative contact number. This will allow them to identify you, and they will then be able to help.

Don't post any personal details in this thread, just add them to your community profile (only you and the TalkTalk Support Team on this community can see your profile details).

Then they will hopefully be able to respond to this post tomorrow. (Obviously you would need to go back to using the Sagemcom for them to be able to push the different firmware to it).

A_J_G
First Timer
Private Message
Message 8 of 9

update. Using CHAT NOW via the billing system, I was transferred to a technician (Mary). she agreed the new router delivered less than 1 week ago was not GRE compliant (therefore no good to connect to a VPN). Luckily I had a spare router (TP-LINK AX1800) which I swapped for the TALKTALK sagemcom. (straight swap - no extra config required). It connected to my office VPN immediately.

note : when you swap out the routers - you lose connection with the technician - but she was still there when the link rebooted.

Thanks Mary.

0 Likes