cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

New router IP address

Arandora
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message
Message 13 of 13
Recently a new IP Address has appeared on a network monitor I use in addition to my router address of 192.168.1.1 This is 192.168.1.114 which according to Google "is a private IP address and directly related to your Wi-Fi network. It is the chain of numbers you use to access the router admin page. However, as briefly mentioned, your router also has another public IP address."
Can ayone elaborate on this?

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12

Message 1 of 13

Nice detective work. And good news that the device is one under your control.

We do appreciate your time in letting us know. Thank you.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Arandora
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message
Message 2 of 13

Taking Gondola's explanation into account, by a process of elimination I have discovered this IP address is in fact for my Iphone, a change from the previous one. 

Arandora
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message
Message 3 of 13

Gondola has replied with several explanations to my query. 

Arandora
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message
Message 4 of 13

I think I understand. Thanks for explanations. 🙂

Message 5 of 13

The IP address will have been allocated by the router. So at some point there will have been a network connection. That connection may expire when the lease for that IP address expires if the device does not remain connected.

If IP addresses are allocated dynamically and not reserved for specific devices then, over time, the allocated IP addresses can change.

Arandora
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message
Message 6 of 13

The IP address appeared on my Wi-Fi network but has never been shown as being connected to it. All my physical devices are accounted for and I monitor the network using this https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_network_watcher.html

Message 7 of 13

Hi Arandora,

I can see that Gondola has offered you some help with this, please let us know how you get on

Chris

Message 8 of 13

Yes, it's not a registered MAC address which means it's most likely a randomised MAC address often used for mobile devices that decline to be tracked from one access point to another.

I assume the device is connected to your router by Wi-Fi and not an Ethernet connection.

You can always block the MAC address to see if any of your devices get disconnected. And then see if a new device appears.

Arandora
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message
Message 9 of 13

Yes it is 52-CB-9E-41-B4-3f which I searched for on Google but didn't recognise any of the results. 

0 Likes

Message 10 of 13

Have you captured the MAC address of the device that's been assigned the IP address 192.168.1.114 as there's a possibility of identifying the manufacturer from the first part of the MAC address. Not always possible though.

0 Likes

Arandora
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message
Message 11 of 13

I replied to this earlier or though I had ,,,,,,,,,

.................... I have not added any new devices to my network which first appeared on my network on 30/8/22. 

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 13

Hi Arandora 

IP addresses in the range 192.168.1.10 to 192.168.1.254 are for devices connected to your router.

0 Likes