cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

No valid IP configuration - ethernet

wpminnows
First Timer
Private Message
Message 5 of 5

Since this morning, I’ve been unable to connect using ethernet - the adapter shows ‘unidentified network’ and if I troubleshoot it tells me ‘Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration.’

ipconfig /all shows I have a 169.*.*.* IP address - I’ve tried the following:

- Restart the PC/router

- Change the ethernet cables

- ipconfig /release & ipconfig /renew (errors saying it can’t contact the DHCP server)

- Set a static IP

- Factory reset the router

- Talktalk webchat (waste of 6 hours 😀👍)

- Manually remove/readd the device on the router admin page

- Reinstall the network card driver

- Restart the DNS service

None of which helped. All the posts I’ve seen here with the same issue had it resolved by getting a replacement router, is that the only fix? (Currently on a HG635)

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4

Message 1 of 5

Morning,

Ok thanks for the update 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 5

Hi Michelle,

Thanks - I left the router off overnight, and now my PC seems to be connecting successfully. I’ll update here if anything changes.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 3 of 5

Hello,

I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault. Is the router currently switched off? Does this happen on more than one wired device?

Thanks

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 4 of 5

Hi @wpminnows,

You seem to have done a decent amount of troubleshooting, the staff here will be back tomorrow and will be able to help. If they do think that this might be a router issue then they will be able to arrange a replacement for you.

Do you have more than one device that you can try to connect via ethernet, if so do all devices have the same problem ?

0 Likes