cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Poor speed after recent cable damage

Biggles500
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 4 of 4

Near the end of April the cable supplying phone and landline was damaged, by contractors working for Openreach. The phone line was down for approximately 5 days. A very limited broad band was available during this time. After the damaged cable was repaired my download speed has dropped from 5.5Mbps to approximately 3.5Mbps. Upload speed dropped from about 0.8Mbps to less than 0.2Mbps.

I understand about the contention ratio. It has now been 13 days since repair. The Openreach engineer, at the time, stated that the line might be need to be reset at the exchange if the speeds didn't return to their pre breakdown levels.

As it is almost impossible to speak to a human these days, I'm turning to the community for assistance!

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3

Message 1 of 4

Hi,

Thanks for confirming this. This was DLM that made the changes, sometimes it can take a little while to increase the speed as DLM will monitor to ensure that the connection is stable first before making any changes. It's possible that the speed may increase further over the next few days. Fingers crossed FTTC or FTTP will be available soon 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

Biggles500
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 2 of 4

Hi,

Tested both wired and wireless. Earlier this morning it was as I indicated in my original post. However I've just carried out a further wired speed test and miraculously the download has increased to just over 5Mbps! Upload has increased slightly and the ping has reduced from 40ms to 27ms.

Was it just a coincidence, or did someone intercede. Either way I'm a little happier now. Thanks.

Incidentally at the moment the Openreach contractors are digging up the pavement outside my house. I believe this is part of the faster fibre broadband being rolled out across the country. Hopefully this will mean I get fibre soon! 🙏

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 3 of 4

Hello,

I can see that DLM has been optimising/increasing the speed over the last 48hrs. Are you running the speed tests wired or wireless please?

Thanks