cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Port forwarding not working

Jaidaken
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 10 of 10

I’m trying to open a port with port forwarding. Port 22 for ssh works perfectly fine, i can check the port and it is open. Any port in a higher range will not open. The settings are identical, the ip address is correct, but it will not open.

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 10

Your rule is for UDP, so TCP will not work. It is the responsibility of the application to open any port TCP or UDP, not the router. Even if you changed the rule in the router to TCP, the application will only open the port as UDP, not TCP, so again it will not work. Any UDP port will fail on a port checking site, as I said because they are only compatible with TCP.

I have checked these two ports and they work fine as per my PF rules. Not knowing what sort of device & application that you are trying to forward these ports to, if a PC or similar, you must also allow them via an inbound rule through the PC's firewall - not the router's firewall, leave that alone.

Then there is the way that you are testing the ports that might also be an issue. You cannot test them from a locally connected device, out to the internet & back in again through the router to your device. The router will block this loopback traffic as it sees it as a security risk.

The easiest way to test is via a smartphone that is disconnected from the router's WiFi & use its mobile data.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Jaidaken
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 2 of 10

So I tried opening them as TCP to see if that works, but still no luck, they remain closed.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 10

OK, thanks for all of that information. The trouble when forwarding UDP ports is that they are not compatible with the online port checking sites, as they only work with TCP ports.

I do have another way of testing UDP ports and I have just tried forwarding UDP ports 51820 & 3306 and they worked the first time. These are the rules that I used:-

UDP 51820 3306.png

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Jaidaken
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 4 of 10

401653E1-360A-46F8-8537-6FDDD8704181.jpeg

  here you can see, 22 works without issue. The others will not.

0 Likes

Jaidaken
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 5 of 10

 Not sure why they didn’t upload, here they are.4D2C3D82-E38D-4E51-8DD1-2F5B62F25CD7.png

DAE991A0-02A6-49F8-8838-23E7E351B226.jpeg

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 10

There does not seem to be any files attached? I also need to know which router you are using, as I asked in my original post.

Keith

0 Likes

Jaidaken
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 7 of 10

The files attached have the ports shown. 22 works fine, the others do not.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 10

Hi @Jaidaken 

@Michelle-TalkTalk has asked me to help you. Which make/model of TalkTalk router are you using? Please can you send me a screenshot of a rule that does not work, so as I can check it for you?

Keith

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 9 of 10

Morning,

@KeithFrench - Would you be able to offer any assistance please?

Thanks 🙂