cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

“Privacy Warning” appearing on Wi-Fi connection

keysoft18
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 12 of 12

When I connect to the internet via talktalk Wi-Fi I get the message “Privacy Warning”. This appears under the Wi-Fi network name. Does anyone know what’s going off. Message appeared a few days ago. 

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 12

Hi @keysoft18 

My doc on configuring the router that @Skynet_TX linked to in post #4 will solve this problem.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 12

I have an old desktop running windows 10, I can’t see any warning messages there. So only can confirm the apple iphone 12

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 12

Yes this would be the case, I also think it might be affecting some PCs running Windows 10 or 11 V21H2, as that now supports WPA3.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 4 of 12

Hello,

Does it only happen on Apple devices? Do you have any other devices that you could test?

Thanks

0 Likes

keysoft18
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 5 of 12

Again I must thank you for your research on my behalf. 

I’ve read the article which you gave me the link for. 

I’m already it appears on “Private Address”. Whether this is the cause or not, I don’t know. 

eitherway there must be thousands of us out there who use talktalk on their iPhone Wi-Fi. I guess other people will start noticing this error message. 

it would be interesting to get other views as you suggest. 

kind regards 

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 6 of 12

Ah, just found this article :

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT211227

Maybe check the section on how to 'turn private address on' ?

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 7 of 12

I've tagged @KeithFrench in this post, so maybe wait and see if he has anything to say on this one.

If it is due to those changes Apple have made then it is really just them being extra cautious and warning you that your router supports less secure ways of connecting to it. However many routers are quite deliberately set up in that way to ensure they have the best compatibility (i.e. so that older devices that don't support the more modern security standards can still connect to them).

0 Likes

keysoft18
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 8 of 12

Many thanks for your reply. My sister who has the older iPhone 11, also has a message under her Wi-Fi name which this time is “Weak Security”. 

Very odd, that’s two different messages. She has EE network whilst mine is talktalk giving Privacy Warning. 

Is the fault with Apple do you think, or does something needs tweaking with the router settings ?

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 9 of 12

I wonder if this may be related to the changes Apple have made, discussed here : https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre/WEAK-SECURITY-APPLE-DEVICES-POST-IOS-14/m-p/2793348

@KeithFrench wrote that very helpful article, so he may be able to clarify if the message you are seeing is likely to be related.

0 Likes

keysoft18
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 10 of 12

I see it on my iPhone 12

CFC11F61-D9C2-4E92-8540-4C59FBEB8796.png

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 11 of 12

Hi @keysoft18,

Is this appearing on all devices that you connect with, or just specific devices ?

What type of devices are you seeing the message on (e.g. Windows 10 laptop, iPhone, Android phone etc.)

0 Likes