cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Really annoying intermittent internet

gwatuk
Enlightened One
Private Message
Message 8 of 8

Our internet is intermittent and has been for some time.

Devices connected by wifi stop working and their settings say that the wifi is connected but there is no internet. However it is possible to access the router's dashboard from such a device and this says that the router is in fact connected to the internet.

When this happens the connection can fail on all wireless devices or just some of them.

The router's status light indicates that it's working OK (steady white light).

Sometimes the internet is restored after a while but other times I need to reboot the router to solve this problem.

We also notice sometimes that a problem has been happening because the YouView box displays a message saying that its internet connection has been restored. However the box is connected by wifi, so it's not possible to tell whether this has been a failure of its connection to the router or of the router's connection to the outside world.

And to complicate things further, for some time we've experienced loss of internet and the router has indicated this and that it is recovering from a disconnection (flashing red light).

In recent weeks this has been a problem along with slow speeds.  On two occasions we've had visits from Openreach engineers to try and fix this.

Last night I rebooted the router several times throughout the evening. And on one occasion a few minutes after having done this the router started flashing red and all internet connection stopped for a short while.

A double whammy ☹️

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

Message 1 of 8

Hi gwatuk

No problem. The router is on its way, please allow 48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

gwatuk
Enlightened One
Private Message
Message 2 of 8

I think that would be a good idea, thanks. 

Message 3 of 8

Hi gwatuk

Would you like me to send a replacement router for testing?

0 Likes

gwatuk
Enlightened One
Private Message
Message 4 of 8

Hi Debbie, this is the only router that I have access to. 

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 5 of 8

Hi gwatuk

Can I just check have you recently tested with a different router?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

gwatuk
Enlightened One
Private Message
Message 6 of 8

Thanks Karl.

Router has had a 30 minute powerdown and is now plugged in to the master socket via a brand new filter.

Since then I've already seen one message from the YouView box saying broadband has been restored.

The router log shows a very large number of DNS name resolution failure messages - is this normal?

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 7 of 8

Hi

Tests are clear but I can see an increase in CRC errors at the router and also a slight increase in Voltage across the line.

Have you checked the router at the test socket and a 30 minute powerdown of the router to clear the session to see if the errors clear.

With regard to voltage it is only slightly elevated, but if this continues with the router at the test socket then we may need to look at an engineer,

Thanks  

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes