cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Router keeps overriding my fixed channel selection

vadek
Chat Champion
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 12

Despite my setting a fixed channel for 2.4Ghz on my Hub, it still keeps switching to the more congested channel 6. Surely if I'm having connection issues and manually select the best channel it should stick to that channel. This is really annoying me.

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 12

Hi @vadek 

Now that you have WiFi optimisation disabled, I can help a lot with this if you want.

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal or no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results so that I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 12

Hi David,

I don't know why nothing is showing on the 5GHz band, you could try resetting the router to factory default settings

Chris

0 Likes

vadek
Chat Champion
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 12

Hi Debbie. Yes. I use a laptop about as far from the router as I can get in my house. It held up really well while streaming Wimbledon but after that it started losing the connection. I found that was trying to connect on the 5GHz band, so I renamed the 5GHz to hide it from the laptop. Sadly, it still loses the connection occasionally, but it's not as bad. My phone connects on 5GHz but the hub says there's nothing connected on 5GHz. It's lying.

Regards, David

0 Likes

Message 4 of 12
0 Likes

vadek
Chat Champion
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 12

Thanks Debbie. I'll see how it goes from now. Out of interest, why does my hub say I have no connected devices on 5GHz when I know for a fact that my mobile phone is connected to 5GHz?

0 Likes

Message 6 of 12

Hi vadek

I was able to locate the details with the information provided in your Community Profile.

Thanks

0 Likes

vadek
Chat Champion
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 12

Thanks Debbie. But how do you know who I am in terms of account, phone number, router etc?

0 Likes

Message 8 of 12

Hi vadek

Apologies for this.

The WIFI optimisation has now been switched off, please let us know how the connection compares.

Thanks

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 9 of 12

The support team will be back on Monday, and will be able to disable Wi-Fi Optimisation for you, once that is done it will stay on whatever channel you select.

vadek
Chat Champion
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 12

My router version is "TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub version SG4K100136". I'd like to request that TalkTalk disable WiFi Optimisation please. I'm an ex IT professional so I know what I'm doing (mostly). Please stop my router from choosing its own channel! Thanks.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 12

Assuming that you have the Sagemcom FAST 5364 router, you need to request in your reply that TalkTalk disable WiFi Optimisation for you.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they?