cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Secondary DNS doesnt get picked up if Primary DNS is down

vitachaos
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 3 of 3

I have a primary dns server running at home network which I have filled in to the router configuration from the router home page. Since right next  to it, there is an option for secondary dns I have pointed it to cloudflared 1.1.1.1 public dns as a failsafe. However when my home dns is down it never gets picked up and internet on all devices at home halts

0 Likes
2 REPLIES 2

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 3

Can you ping 1.1.1.1 from one of the affected devices?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 3

I assume that you are using the Huawei DG8041W router then? Where in the router are you setting the DNS servers up, I assume that it is in the router's DHCP server configuration, so each device is told on connection, that these are the two DNS servers to use?

Do the devices actually store this, in Windows, for example, using this in the command prompt will tell you:-

ipconfig /all

If the device has these stored, then it is down to the device to decide which DNS server to use.

However, if all devices are correctly storing the DNS servers & none of them can use the secondary DNS server, that is bizarre.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes