cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Slow internet despite good downstream line rate

Jny5855
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 10 of 10

Hi, we've been having issues with broadband speed in the past week or so. The router is connected at 49.64 Mbps, but speedtests average around 5-10 Mbps (last one was 3.5), with the occasional burst of 20. We used to get around 40-45 Mbps a few weeks ago.

Is this a router issue? The wifi channels aren't overlapping with neighbours, and the signal quality is 90-100% with an RSSI of -45 db. I'm unable to run a wired speedtest at the moment.

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9

Message 1 of 10

Hi Jny5855

That's great news, thanks for letting us know 🙂

I have sent you a Private Message with a link to a short survey for the Community.

Thanks again.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 10

Hi,

I've swapped the hardware over and everything seems to be working fine.  I think this can be marked as resolved now.

Thanks for all your help.

Message 3 of 10

Hello,

How are you getting on, has this now been resolved?

Thanks

Message 4 of 10

Hi Jny5855

No problem 🙂

The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 5 of 10

That would be great, thank you.

Message 6 of 10

Hi Jny5855

I'm sorry to hear this.

Would you like me to send a new router?

0 Likes

Message 7 of 10

To update on my last post - the 30 minute power cycle worked for a while. Today net connectivity degraded (often full speed, but frequently timing out), and eventually we lost internet access and the router stopped responding (192.168.1.1 was inaccessable, although devices still had wifi connections). I had to do another power cycle to restore it to normal.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 10

How does the speed compare if you run a wired speed test?
Could you also try powering down the router for a full 30 minutes

Unfortunately I'm unable to run a wired test, I don't have any devices with ethernet that can get close enough to the router.

Powering down the router often works for a day or two (although I normally just keep it off for a minute or so). The speed is currently back to normal after doing this.

I don't know what issue this is solving - is there a problem with the router, or is it out of my control?

Thanks for all your help.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 9 of 10

Morning,

I'm sorry to hear this and I will take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault and the sync speed looks consistent. How does the speed compare if you run a wired speed test? Could you also try powering down the router for a full 30 minutes and then retest the speed again please as this will reset the current session and can often increase the throughput speeds.

Thanks

0 Likes