cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Specific Items Dropping from Wifi and not recovering and need router reset

Mackam
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 60 of 60

Hello,

Wondered if anyone has had a similar problem to what I have been facing for last 4-5 months. I have an issue were certain devices drop from WIFI connection to router and wont reconnect themselves until I reset the router. Two of these are the Nest Thermostat and Eufy Doorbell and Security Camera. 

They work fine and every so often (usually at night oddly) they drop from WIFI connection and only way to recover it is to reset the router. Its always these two devices but sometimes other things two. 

I reset router to factory settings and eventually I was given a new one but that is still doing it as well so I am a bit stuck now. Is there a fault log or something in router that would show why these devices cannot reconnect automatically if they drop off?

0 Likes
59 REPLIES 59

Mackam
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 1 of 60

This can be closed now as resolved and engineering fee has been refunded. 

Message 2 of 60

HI Mackam

Thanks for your reply.

If you do experience any further issues then please let us know.

Debbie

0 Likes

Mackam
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 3 of 60

Its been the same, download and upload are slightly down on what we had before 46 Mbps versus 58 Mbps before and 15 Mbps versus 16 Mbps but lot better than it was. Still not sure how it fixed itself before the visit but seems all good now. Hopefully the DLM ups the speed slightly back to where it was. 

0 Likes

Message 4 of 60

Hi Mackam

How's the connection been since your last ppst?

0 Likes

Message 5 of 60

Hi Mackam

Thanks for your reply.

In regards to the WIFI optimisation, this has been switched off on your line.

Only TalkTalk can switch this on and off for you.

Debbie

0 Likes

Mackam
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 6 of 60

FYI he changed the socket and the speed went up a little bit more (60 download and 17 upload) but then reset DLM and it went even lower so not sure socket made that much difference but he insisted to change it as other one was old even though it was working. I did say just leave the  Upload has now dropped back to 14 Mbps but hopefully DLM will move that back to 16 over time. 

For the WIFI issue I will monitor it with new firmware and wifi optimization turned off. Where is this optimization is it something I can turn on and off or not?

0 Likes

Message 7 of 60

Hi Mackam

I will check the engineers notes again this afternoon.

Thanks

0 Likes

Mackam
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 8 of 60

Ok thanks, they have definitely changed something as its been like this consistent since 28th April and the day of engineer visit its suddenly back to normal. 

0 Likes

Message 9 of 60

Hi Mackam

Unfortunately I can't run the line tests now until Openreach close the fault (this is where I can see the sync speed)

It's possible Openreach have done something but we would have to wait for Openreach to confirm this on the fault ticket, sorry.

0 Likes

Mackam
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 10 of 60

Can you see you end the speed has now increased also back to where it was on 28th April?

0 Likes

Message 11 of 60

Hi Mackam

I'm glad to hear that the speed has increased.

We are unable to cancel the engineer visit now as the engineer is due to attend this morning. I've also checked and the engineer hasn't left any notes to say they have completed any work as yet.

0 Likes

Mackam
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 12 of 60

Hello, I did a final check this morning before the engineer visit and I suspect they may have changed something as its now back to 16 Mbps and the engineer hasnt been yet. I had this before where they got a ticket or whatever and checked it and fixed it without coming. Can you cancel any visit now as its not needed whatever was wrong somebody has fixed (I havent changed anything) can you double check the sync now?

0 Likes

Message 13 of 60

Hi Mackam

The engineer visit has been arranged for tomorrow 16/05 AM (8am - 1pm)

It would be worth asking the engineer to reset DLM after they have completed their investigations.

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 14 of 60

Hi Mackam

The WIFI optimisation is switched off (I've just checked)

I will book the engineer visit now and I will post back to confirm the date and time.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Mackam
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 15 of 60

Yes its the same. Last night we also had the original problem as well where several devices dropped WIFI and needed router to be reset to recover them. It hadnt happen with other router so could be either wifi optimisation or the firmware. How do I check if WIFI optimization is on or off?

I have now put old router back FYI

0 Likes

Message 16 of 60

Hi Mackam

The upload sync speed has remained at 7.3mb.

Is your availability for an engineer visit still the same? I will then book the engineer.

0 Likes

Message 17 of 60

Hi Mackam

The WIFI optimisation wouldn't affect the upload sync speed on a wired connection.

Personally I would wait another couple of days (due to the recent DLM change) just to see if the speed increase continues. If there is no significant change by Monday then we can book the engineer straightaway.

Thanks

0 Likes

Mackam
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 18 of 60

I would look to you to decide if engineer is needed or not, currently my upload speed has been reduced by around 66% and has been now since 28th April, this wasn't even the original fault. 

Have you changed anything else that could have caused it? You mentioned WIFI optimization but surely that cant effect upload speed on wired connection. All I can say is two weeks ago it dropped and its not recovered. 

0 Likes

Message 19 of 60

Hi Mackam

The test ran on 05/05, the upload sync speed was 7.2mb. The upload speed today is 7.3mb, I know this isn't a massive increase, however this has only started in the last 24hrs so DLM may continue making the changes to the line profile and gradually increase the speed further.

I can arrange the engineer visit but we would need 24hrs notice to cancel the visit (if required)

0 Likes

Mackam
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 20 of 60

When you say you can see its increasing what can you see exactly? From what speed to what speed? 

I would suggest booking engineer if you think thats needed and then if suddenly fixed itself can cancel. Previously when booked engineer they have resolved it without actually coming to me, so yes please book it.

0 Likes