cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Speed to device poor and WiFi intermittent

CarletonG
First Timer
Private Message
Message 9 of 9

Please help!

Since switching to TalkTalk Fibre approx 4 weeks ago, we have had poor WiFi connection. Having performed a number of speed tests, it seems our speed to the router is excellent, however the speed to devices is measured as far below this. 

Ive read numerous posts but I’m left feeling even more confused. I’m studying for a masters degree so desperately need reliable internet. 

Thanks in advance clever people. 

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Message 1 of 9

Hi Keith,  I shall send screenshots via PM shortly

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 9

Thanks for that @Karl-TalkTalk@CarletonG I have just sent you a PM.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 9

Hi @KeithFrench

PM's are now enabled for @CarletonG

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 9

HI @CarletonG 

You currently do not have PMs enabled. I will ask TalkTalk to enable them for you.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 9

That is fine, you have the Huawei DG8041W Wi-Fi Hub.

I will PM you a link for a guide of mine on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots that I have requested in my guide (no photos please they can be difficult to read as text can get out of focus when zoomed), from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button (in a mobile browser it's the picture icon) on the post editor's toolbar with the Size parameter set to Large. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this just puts the text out of focus. If you prefer PM them to me. If you do PM me, then please add a link in there to this thread, so as I can find it easily.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 6 of 9

Hi Keith,

I checked and it’s the new black Huawai one. (Not sure if that’s the correct spelling)

0 Likes

CarletonG
First Timer
Private Message
Message 7 of 9

Hi Keith

We had no issues prior to the switch. I’ve tried the usual disconnecting everything, ensuring the router is in the best position etc. 

It’s the new black WiFi router (currently advertised as the upgrade). I’ll have to check tomorrow for the model number. Thanks

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 9

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

If you would like me to help you, please can you specify the make/model of TalkTalk router that you are using?

Keith