cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Turning Wifi Hub light on and off

Geoff_B
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 7 of 7

I have a quite new Sagemcom wifi hub (router) that has a single white light on the front when it is connected to the internet. This device is in my bedroom because that's where my main incoming BT socket is located.

It would be nice to turn off the hub's light each night (as it is rather bright and lights up the room), and then turn it on again every morning. How to do this?

Well, the only way appears to be to log into the router, find the Advanced settings, go to Light Control, and select either on or off. I mean, has the world gone mad?!

So, could someone in TalkTalk please feed back a plea to the designers of these hubs and suggest that in future they implement a much simpler method of turning the light on and off - i.e. a toggle switch on the hub itself!

Many thanks, and apologies if I haven't posted this in the correct community post section.

Geoff_B

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6

Message 1 of 7
0 Likes

Message 2 of 7

Thanks Debbie,

Geoff

0 Likes

Message 3 of 7

Hi Geoff

I can feed this back to our Devices Team.

Once the light has been switched off then you can leave this switched off, you don't have to change this back every day.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 7

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have seen the help page you refer to, which actually prompted my initial post. It seems absurd in this day and age that the only way to switch the light on and off is to log in to the router and go through a few layers of menus. If I want to switch it off every night (as it's rather bright at night in my bedroom) and then switch it on again in the morning, I have to keep logging into the router. Hence my plea for future router designs to include a simple toggle switch instead. There seems to be a general move these days to having to log into a network do some of the simplest operations.

It's not a major issue, just a comment that life could be made a bit easier, especially for us older folk.

Best wishes,

Geoff

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 5 of 7
0 Likes

AllyM
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 7

I'm sure I have seen a router (can't remember the model unfortunately) which had a switch on the back to enable/disable the status lights, so if you do a bit of searching on the internet you may find one which suits your needs. I would guess that the additional cost of something like that on cheap budget units wouldn't be considered worthwhile for the infinitesimally small number of people who would actually use the feature.

Alternatively, you could put a bit of black tape over the light each night,

or just leave the light switched off (it doesn't really tell you much anyway).

or just put up with it being on (is it really that much of an issue that your room isn't absolutely pitch black?)

0 Likes