cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Turning off automatic channel optimisation

Brian1978
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 21 of 21

When I select a WiFi channel  manually it reverts back to its previous channel after a few days.

I have read that its called 'automatic channel optimisation' and I have no control over this feature.

I like to use a app to determine which channels are the least congested and stick to that channel, but my router automatically changes to a more congested channel which obviously slows down my internet speed.

Is there a way to have this feature turned off?

Thanks

0 Likes
20 REPLIES 20

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 21

I doubt it, but you will have to consult the documentation provided by TP-Link.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Brian1978
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 21

This repeater/extender does have a Ethernet port. If I used that port would that turn it into a true extender?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 21

That is a repeater, not an extender. It all depends on whether you are suffering from intermittent no WiFi on the 2.4GHz band or not.

Repeaters connect back to the router via the router's Wi-Fi, whereas an extender connects back via Ethernet cable or powerline technology to a LAN port on the router. The repeater needs to be sited in a good position to receive a decent WiFi signal from the router, which may mean it still cannot reach the area you require. In addition to this, the repeater broadcasts out a fresh copy of the Wi-Fi signal in all directions, including back to the router. A repeater normally uses the same Wi-Fi channel as the router and this can cause the router's Wi-Fi signal to be cancelled out, leaving the repeater with no connection to the router. In addition to this, a repeater can cut your download & upload speeds by 50%, because the repeater has to serve both the router and the device.

Therefore a much better approach is to use a true Extender. These are often available in a kit of two units that connect over your electricity, back to the router. However, you may have problems with this sort of scenario if the two units are connected to different electrical ring main circuits. Some people have issues like this & others do not, so it is impossible for me to predict if this will be OK for you.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Brian1978
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 21

tp-link 300mbps wifi range extender model tl-wa850re

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 21

Thanks for those. Assuming it is a 2.4GHz only extender that shouldn't cause too much of a problem, unless it is not an extender, but a repeater. Then it could cause the WiFi on the 2.4GHz to cut out. What make/model is it?

Keith

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 21

What is the SSID (network name) of the extender & I will see if I can see this in your screenshots.

Keith

0 Likes

Brian1978
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 21

I live in a ground floor flat and the router is in the middle room. I get about 10 meter range from router then use a extender to get further to a outside shed. There are 6 echo devices and a few WiFi cameras a WiFi sockets 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 21

It should handle that number of devices, they are probably not all transmitting and receiving data at the same anyway. Of course your broadband speed could be an issue. 

It doesn't need extra cooling. How is the coverage throughout the property?

Keith

Brian1978
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 21

5 meters from analyser with a wall in-between.The router is 1 meter of the ground in a corner of the room out in the open. 

I have 29 connected devices, can the SAGEMCOM FAST 5364 be ok with that?
Would the router perform better if I place a small fan behind it to keep it cooler?

Thanks

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 21

Hi @Brian1978 

The only issue with your WiFi is the signal strength of the 5GHz band, which is a bit low. Please can you describe the approximate location of the router within your property & what is around it? How far is it from the analyser's location?

Keith

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 21

I will PM you a link for a guide of mine on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots to me in a PM (to protect your privacy), which I have requested in my guide. No photos please they can be difficult to read as text can get out of focus when zoomed in, from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button (in a mobile browser it's the picture icon) on the post editor's toolbar with the Size parameter set to Large. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this puts the text out of focus. 

Keith

Brian1978
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 21

Hi Keith, I don't mind giving your guide a try. Where do I begin?

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 21

Hi @Brian1978 

@Debbie-TalkTalk has asked me to help you. WiFi optimisation can change just about any WiFi option it chooses. If you would like my help, WiFi optimisation needs to be left disabled, as it is currently.

The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results so that I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith

Message 15 of 21

Hi Brian1978

Thanks for your reply.

The WIFI optimisation is still switched off. @KeithFrench can you help please?

Keith provides really good advice on improving wireless performance.

KeithFrench is one of our valued Community Stars and can help with a range of issues related to wireless and networking. At times he may ask you to send him test results via a Private Message to help analyse/diagnose an issue.  Although Keith does not work for TalkTalk, he very kindly shares his time and knowledge to help with others. 

If you need further help or, if we need to take any details such as personal information about your account like phone numbers, account numbers etc.  one of the TalkTalk team will jump in and help out.

0 Likes

Brian1978
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 21

The channel selection as been rock solid and I have been able to select a uncrowded channel without Wi-Fi optimisation changing it for me, which is what I requested.

But after a few days of testing there as been lots  of Wi-Fi disconnections  which I can't explain. In the past I blamed poor automated channel selection but now I'm not to sure.

Does anybody know if  'Wi-Fi optimisation' does anything more than just select the best Wi-Fi channel?

I would like to request Wi-Fi optimisation to be re-enabled on my account please.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 17 of 21

Hi Brian1978

How's the connection been since the WIFI optimisation was switched off?

Thanks

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 18 of 21

Hi Brian1978

Thanks for updating your Community Profile.

I've switched the WIFI optimisation off, please let us know how the connection compares.

Debbie

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 19 of 21

Hi Brian1978

Apologies for this.

Please can you add your name and TalkTalk landline number to your Community Profile, I can then switch off the WIFI optimisation.

Thanks

Debbie

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 20 of 21

I have asked one of TalkTalk's support to pick your thread up and disable WiFi optimisation for you.

They aim to respond within 48 hours (Monday - Friday) excluding Bank Holidays. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith