cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Unable to connect to VPN

ml98lep
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 17 of 17

I've been unable to connect to my work VPN since yesterday.  I spoke to someone on online chat who told me talktalk IT department are working on it.  I want to know if there's an update as I urgently need to be able to work and am currently unable to!

16 REPLIES 16

StephenF
Community Manager
Staff
Private Message
Message 1 of 17

Hey ml98lep,

I'm Stephen the community manager and i can see you're not happy with the service received to date. Firstly let me take this opportunity to apologise many calls/contacts you've had to make before getting to a resolution, clearly this is not the high level of support we aim to deliver. I am however pleased to see that we've been able to find a resolution to the issue via the community in the form of a firmware update which I believe has resolved the issue. 

The issues with VPN that some customers have faced is nuanced and until very recently our only workaround has been to replace the router for a different make/model which so far has been known to resolve the issue, sadly it does however take a couple days to arrive which i appreciate isn't ideal. 

Manually updating the firmware isn't a full fix as it can cause DNS issues as mentioned by Debbie but also comes with the risk of permanently damaging the router if something goes wrong with that process which would leave you with zero connection. This is why we favour replacing the router as there is no risk to a loss of connection. 

I do however understand your frustration and I'll be investigating why it took so many calls and why the agent was unable to help initially as well as feeding back to the agents managers to address any issues in that process. I've also logged your complaint on the system CMP-210407 which i've marked as resolved, now that we've been able to resolve the VPN issue as well as feeding back the poor service received when calling us.

Thanks

Stephen 

Stephen, Community Manager

ml98lep
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 2 of 17

I have no idea what the DNS issue is - I have only been reporting a VPN issue.  Your reply doesn't answer my question

0 Likes

Message 3 of 17

Hi ml98lep

An issue was identified with the new firmware and a certain VPN client. I have ordered a replacement router to be sent ASAP.

The firmware I have also pushed through resolves the issue with VPN but not the DNS issue that the new FW fixes (this is why I have sent the different router)

Thanks

0 Likes

ml98lep
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 4 of 17

It is now working - FINALLY.  Can someone please explain to me why it's taken 8 phone calls from me (yes 8!), a live chat and a message thread here (including me pushing the issue 3 times) for someone to actually get on my router remotely to try and fix the problem!  If you can't, then please let me know how to make a formal complaint about the handling of my problem!

0 Likes

Message 5 of 17

Hi ml98lep

Please can you retest and let us know how you get on?

0 Likes

Message 6 of 17

Hi

This firmware does not resolve the issues with DNS which why the new firmware was rolled out.

I will post back shortly once this has completed.

0 Likes

ml98lep
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 7 of 17

YEs!  Why was this not s uggested earlier?!

0 Likes

Message 8 of 17

Hi ml98lep

Apologies for this. I can try a change to the firmware, are you ok for me to do this now? This will affect the connection for a short while.

0 Likes

ml98lep
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 9 of 17

Is there not just a way to update the router or settings?  I've already lost a day's work - 2/3 days if I have to wait for a new router!  I have deadlines that need to be met.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 17

Hi

OK, basically the router you have is at fault, so a different one is on the way to you that will fix the issue.

Thanks  

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

ml98lep
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 11 of 17

I'm afraid that reply means nothing to me - I'm not a technical expert!

0 Likes

Message 12 of 17

Hi

There is a known issue with the Sagemcom firmware affecting some types of VPN connection.  This is being addressed in a later firmware, but swapping the router for a different model hub does resolve the issue.

Thanks  

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 17

That reply doesn't really seem as though you've looked into my problem or tried to fix it?!

0 Likes

Message 14 of 17

Hi ml98lep

Thank you. I have ordered you a different make and model of router and you should receive this within the next 24-48hrs.

Please let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 15 of 17

THanks, have done

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 16 of 17

Hi ml98lep

Please can you update your Community Profile to include your name and TalkTalk landline number, we can then look into this further.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes