cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Unable to make internet calls on Whatsapp over Wi-Fi

ThomasYoungman
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 11 of 11

Since we had full fibre installed in late January, we're no longer able to make internet calls on Whatsapp (and Discord) over our wi-fi connection. The call hangs and then fails to connect, on both iOS and Android - see attached for a screenshot of what happens on iphone. We are forced to make such calls on our mobile data (4G) which shouldn't be the case while we're at home.

We have tried the solution suggested by the iOS error message, to give Whatsapp access to the local network in privacy settings, but that option is not available. We have spoken to Whatsapp support and they have referred us to our ISP. We are certain that the problem lies with our home network, as it only started happening after the full fibre was installed, and only happens when we are connected to our wi-fi, and not other wi-fi networks. HomeSafe options are turned off.

I see from other posts (such as this one) that the issue has been solved by provision of a new router. We are still using the same router from before FTTP was installed.

I have updated my community profile with contact details and account number in advance.

Thank you

Tom

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Message 1 of 11

Hi Tom

That's great, thanks for letting us know.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 11

Hi Karl

Thanks for this. I was checking with everyone in the house, and yes this seems to have solved all the issues we were having. Thank you again for your help!

Tom

Message 3 of 11

Hi Tom,

Just made a small change to the router, try this again and see if it works. If not I'll send a replacement router to see if that helps.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 4 of 11

Good afternoon Michelle. I have just tried turning the router off for over 30 minutes and I'm afraid all the problems I've mentioned persist now that it is back online (see in particular the attached screenshot of a failed whatsapp call.)

If I could, I'd just like to draw your attention to the previous forum post I mentioned in my original post. That user was having very similar problems with connecting to whatsapp for calls on wi-fi, and their problems were solved with a new router.

Kind regards

Tom

0 Likes

Message 5 of 11

Morning,

Have you also tried powering down the router for a full 30 minutes and then retested again as this will reset the current session?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 6 of 11

Yes, I believe there are other related problems:

1. Whatsapp often takes some time to connect before it will load messages (see screenshot). This only happens on the home wi-fi, not on 4G.
  2. Discord voice calls do not work from laptop over wi-fi - "no route" error is displayed.
  3. https://www.speedtest.net/ no longer works - it hangs on "Finding optimal server..." indefinitely (see screenshot).

All of these also have only started after FTTP was installed.

T

0 Likes

Message 7 of 11

Thanks for the information. Do you have any problems with anything else, any other apps? Does Whatsapp work OK apart from the calls?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 8 of 11

Hi again, I've checked the back of the router and it says it is a Sagemcom FAST 5364-3.T8.

Meanwhile I also attach the Whatsapp error message on Android.

Thanks

T

0 Likes

Message 9 of 11

Hi Chris

Thanks. The router dashboard page says:

TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub
version SG4K100130

Is that the information you need?

T

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk