cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

VPN Has stopped working

Stebb
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 9 of 9

The VPN connection has stopped working when working from home. It used to work a treat but I haven't needed it since December. I Tried to connect yesterday as I'm currently isolating with COVID and just comes up with a message that connection couldn't be established so the port has been closed. I have gone through it with our IT guys (laptop, server and VPN) and all is set up correctly and pointing to a router fault. And reading the discussions here it appears there has recently been a firmware update which has caused the problem. Are you able to send a new router if needed or is there another simple fix? 

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Message 1 of 9

Hi @mattpearson88

Apologies for this. Please can you create a new topic on the Community, we can then take a look at this for you.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

mattpearson88
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 2 of 9

I have this ongoing issue too. Debbie could you please share what changes were made to the firmware I currently have Firmware Version: SG4K100130 on my device. I have been sent a new home hub but the issue persists.

PLEASE HELP

0 Likes

Message 3 of 9

Hi Stebb

A reboot of the router wont affect the firmware.

If you do experience any further issues then please let us know.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Stebb
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 4 of 9

Hi Debbie,

The VPN appears to be working now thank you. I can't say if a reboot is going to lose my broadband as it did before but will try that when I'm back in the office - can't risk losing the VPN again now I've got it back. I'll also check the windows update situation as suggested by skynet.

Thank you, your help is appreciated and whilst the outcome is (so far) positive and reasonably efficient, dear lord there must be a better way of communicating with you guys than through this forum.

Message 5 of 9

Hi Stebb

I've made a change to the firmware, please can you retest and let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 6 of 9

Hi @Stebb,

Do you have the Sagemcom Wi-Fi Hub, is it on firmware version SG4K100130 ?, if so your problem may be being caused by an issue with that new firmware version.

If you are using the built in Windows 10/11 VPN then that is the most common one that is affected by this issue, however to complicate things slightly Microsoft did release a Windows Update this month that caused issues with the built in VPN, they have since released a new update to fix it, but the new update is only currently an 'optional' update, so it would be worth checking in 'Windows Update' that the latest optional update to fix the VPN issue has been installed (KB5010793 on Windows 10).

If you do have this problem version of firmware, and it is still not working even with that fixed Windows update installed, then the staff here will be able to help tomorrow, they may be able to adjust some settings on your router, or they may just suggest sending you a new router of a different type.

0 Likes

Stebb
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 7 of 9

I have done that now.

Our IT support looked into it and changed some settings remotely on the router. It got the VPN working - however I have since rebooted the router and this resulted in total loss of the broadband altogether. The only resolution to this was to do a factory reset which needless to say, has put me back without the VPN again - though at least the broadband is now working again. 

I need this VPN connection urgently, I have some big contracts to manage and I'm currently isolated with covid!

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 8 of 9

Hi Stebb

Please can you update your Community Profile to include your name and TalkTalk landline number, we can then look into this further.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes