cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Very Slow Broadband Upload

DayV2021
Team Player
Private Message
Message 31 of 31

I have been having ongoing problems with broadband speed, particularly with upload speed. I have spend hours on the phone with TalkTalk Technical Service, every time having to try the same routines of turning router off then on, resetting, disconnecting devices and so it goes on.

In 2021 I was experiencing problems with the Huawei router disconnecting repeatedly. I was told a firmware update was on its way. But at least I was getting my agreed upload speed of 2.2mbps.

Changing to a Sagem Router stopped the drop outs, well actually it reconnected if it did drop out, but at the expense of speed. I now get 17mbps download (13mbps guaranteed on Fibre 35), but only 1.4mbps upload (I am told I should get 2.2 / 2.4). 1.4 is not enough for Zoom calls, etc.

So is it the router again? I am also over 1km from the cabinet, and many more houses have been built in the area. I do have a cabinet around the corner, but apparently I cannot be connected to it.

Any suggestions on if the router may be the fault? Interestingly TalkTalk Tech Service say they can see 2.2mbps at my router, but when we look at the router dashboard, it reports back an orange signal with 1.7mbps! 

Andrew
0 Likes
30 REPLIES 30

Message 1 of 31

Thank you Michelle,

I hope so too. Today my broadband speed has been 17.7 down load but only 1.1 to 1.3 upload.

Kind regards,

Andrew

Andrew
0 Likes

Message 2 of 31

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear this and hopefully fibre will be available to you soon.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 3 of 31

Hi Ferguson,

Thanks for checking. I have fibre outside, but only that installed by Gigaclear.

I was put through to Future Fibre and they tried two checks but said it was not in my road and not planned at present.

I looks like my only option is Gigaclear or 4G. I have a temporary 4G MiFi from 3 that works great for Broadband, and means that both me and my wife can Zoom at the same time. I am told TalkTalk do not provide 4G.

Kind regards,

Andrew

Andrew

Message 4 of 31

Thanks Chris,

I understand. Maybe I will need to have a discussion with Openreach.

I appreciate the help you have provided to me. And it saves me sitting on the phone for hours while I am asked to keep turning the system off and on, for the 3rd, 4th or even 5th time. 😅

Thanks again.

Best wishes,

Andrew 

Andrew
0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 31

@DayV2021 Do you not have the option to upgrade to Future Fibre with TalkTalk? 

Message 6 of 31

Unfortunately I think it's unlikely that we would be able to have you moved to the nearer cabinet. To try to do this we would need to do a cease and reprovide which would potentially leave you without service for a while and then there's no guarantee that Openreach would connect you to the nearer cabinet, there's every possibility that they would connect back to the same cabinet

Chris

Message 7 of 31

Thank you for your reply Chris,

I am really looking for a better broadband speed. It is quite poor when people around me have better speed, I live in town and 2km down the hill my daughter is close to the cabinet and enjoying 70+ mbps download and almost half that upload. She is with TalkTalk. I should not have to keep turning everything off to have a zoom call. It also stops my wife having a zoom call on her laptop and me using zoom on my PC at the same time. So I will have to look for a suitable option. I have Gigaclear contacting me monthly by post and phone to take up their fire option which they have fitted in the road. So far, no one at TalkTalk has  offered me anything. Well one Advisor did offer Fibre 65 but said it would not be any faster!

So one final request: Is there any way that my line can be moved/swapped to a cabinet round the corner from me?

Kind regards,

Andrew 

Andrew
0 Likes

Message 8 of 31

OK thanks, glad to hear that it's worked well. Could you continue to monitor and let us know if you experience any further problems

Chris

Message 9 of 31

Hi Chris,

Over the weekend, all has worked well. Still at 1.4mbps upload. 

To ensure Zoom is ok, we switch off wifi  on our phones and tablet, and I disconnect my PC so that just the laptop (and I guess the TV, although is turned off), is using the router.

Andrew 

Andrew
0 Likes

Message 10 of 31

Thanks for the information. how has it been over the weekend?

Chris

Message 11 of 31

Hi Chris,

Yes mainly only Zoom meetings with several participants, like all the family on at once. Sometimes Team meetings are affected but mainly Zoom. Having said that, if my wife is uploading photos for printing, it takes forever.

Can I ask, is there any chance that we can be connected into the local cabinet which is just around the corner, rather than the one that is over 1Km away?

Andrew

Andrew
0 Likes

Message 12 of 31

OK thanks, I'm afraid we no longer have that router in stock, if we did I'd send one for you to test with. Does it only seem to be zoom meeting that are affected by the upstream speed?

Chris

Message 13 of 31

Hi Chris,

No we were asked to return it and given a prepaid bag to put it in.

Best wishes,

Andrew

Andrew
0 Likes

Message 14 of 31

Do you still have the other router?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 15 of 31

Hi Chris,

Yes. When talking with Tech Support yesterday, they asked me to reset the router using a paperclip, which I did.

Will there be any benefit to change back to the type (manufacturer) of router I had in early 2021 which gave me faster speeds but kept dropping out? I was told at the time that the firmware was due to be upgraded to  solve the problem. 

Andrew

Andrew
0 Likes

Message 16 of 31

If the downstream speed is below the guaranteed minimum then we can arrange an engineer visit to investigate but there isn't a guaranteed minimum for upstream so unfortunately we can't really arrange an engineer visit to investigate. Just to confirm, have you tried resetting the router?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 17 of 31

Hi Chris,

Yes download is above guaranteed speed 👍

TalkTalk are telling me I should receive 2.1 to 2.4 upload as part of my Fibre 35 contract. 1.4mbps which sometimes fluctuates, is a problem with Zoom meetings.

Any way the upload speed can be improved?

Andrew

Andrew
0 Likes

Message 18 of 31

Hi DayV2021,

Thanks for trying that.

Your upstream sync speed is a bit low but Openreach don't guarantee upstream speeds and the down stream speed is above the guaranteed minimum. Is your connection currently stable?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 19 of 31

Hi Chris,

I have done as you requested. Now back on, but left phone disconnected. Speed test is the same 18.4 download and only 1.4mbps upload.

Andrew

Andrew
0 Likes

Message 20 of 31
0 Likes