cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

What is the minimum guaranteed speed for Fibre 65?

Qwghlm
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 69 of 69

I normally get around the 45Mbps from my Fibre 65, recently I have had a lot of problems with intermittent broadband connection, which is normally sorted out by Openreach using new wires to to local junction box.

The last time was about two weeks ago and it was back up to a consistent 45Mbps.

I have just tried to stream a video and it stated not enough speed.

Checking on the PC it's down to 22Mbps, this is normally a precursor of the same old intermittent connection problem yet again, (about 10 in the last 2 years).

What is the minimum guaranteed speed, because when I run a speed test it tells me I'm getting 24Mbps with a guaranteed minimum of 17Mbps?

This cannot be correct that the minimum is 17Mbps when I am paying for a service that states 65Mbps.

0 Likes
68 REPLIES 68

Qwghlm
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 21 of 69

Speed is now down to 12.6 according to the router and Broadband Speedchecker, the TT speedtest just says "Sorry there was a technical error - we're working on it" etc.

Interesting that it comes up with an error rather than showing  the 12.6Mbps speed eh?

Nothing sinister there then.

0 Likes

Message 22 of 69

The trouble is every time they check it the router is showing steady white, so they say it's OK.

I was texting TT help yesterday and they really don't or won't understand the problem.

Ended up stating they thought it was the cache in my browser causing the disconnect issue, but I don't see how that would make the router flash red/white, (line has just gone down while I type this, got an error message "Sorry, unable to complete the action you requested", now back up 30 seconds later).

I can't consistently stream an on-line game either as the line keeps going down and the game crashes, that's nothing to do with the browser.

They got all shirty when I said I wouldn't delete the cache as that's not the problem, and it would lose all of the usernames etc. that are used on the various sites, so would be a nightmare for nothing.

So I started up Brave instead of Chrome and deleted the cache on that browser, of course it didn't make a difference, then I gave up with them as they were insisting next that I had a problem with one of my devices WiFi connection that was causing it.

The same with the on-line line test, if I can get to the link it means the router is steady white, so shows no problem.

Of course, if the router is blinking red/white I can't get to the line check page, Catch 22 in all it's glory.

I'm going to try to keep a log of how much uptime there has been on the router, it's dropped the line twice this morning already, but it's difficult to catch all of them because I'm not at the PC 100% of the time.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 23 of 69

OK, well there is something clearly amiss if your router keeps disconnecting. I would park the minimum speed argument for the moment and wait for the support team to come back and check your line. Bear in mind that they won't be back online until Monday. 

0 Likes

Qwghlm
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 24 of 69

It's now been stable for the last 53m10s according to the router connection up-time

I'll just have to wait and see if it falls over enough to get something done.

0 Likes

Message 25 of 69

Phone not used today, I've been disconnected over half a dozen times this afternoon

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 26 of 69

OK, so you have you tried at the test socket? Any issues on the voice side will affect your broadband connection.

0 Likes

Message 27 of 69

Whenever it drops to 18 the landline quality is not good, when it's 45 it's as clear as a bell

It has always been a problem between the exchange and my house, never in the past 5 years has been internal.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 28 of 69

Sorry to rewind this a bit, but have you checked your router at the test socket and for any issues on the voice side?

0 Likes

Message 29 of 69

Good idea, I will check on how to do this, might attach the transcript where I'm tol Fibre35 is guaranteed 35 min, but Fibre65 is only 17

0 Likes

Message 30 of 69

Talktalk speed test to router

Unfortunately internet connection is very intermittent, avey time talktalk test it they say no problem.

Router information states connected for 00h11m10s so last outage was 11 minutes ago.

0 Likes

Message 31 of 69

@Qwghlm 

As the front line staff are only able to work with the (obviously incorrect) speed figures they have on their systems, I would suggest you try to escalate your complaint to the CEO's office to get this investigated.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 32 of 69

Sorry you are still having issues. "Speed" being seen where?

0 Likes

Qwghlm
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 33 of 69

Here we go again, broadband connection has been intermittent all day today, contact TalkTalk can't find a problem and the speed is back down to 18

But, of course, there is nothing wrong with my line even though if I switched to Fibre35 it would be 35 minimum as confirmed by one of your staff.

Unbelievable.

0 Likes

Message 34 of 69

@Qwghlm wrote:

truly "Insightful"

You do realise the the "insightful one", "wise owl", "philosopher" etc, etc, are just labels applied by the forum and not anything members have chosen themselves?

@Qwghlm wrote:

And why I believe TalkTalk have manually adjusted the minimum speed on my line.

I've been with TalkTalk long enough to realise that many of their IT systems don't work they way they are supposed to, and rarely seem to get fixed. I'm certain this is another IT screw up rather than anything deliberate and malicious.

Message 35 of 69

"Obviously, none of this directly affects your broadband service when it is working properly. It only becomes an issue when your connection is slow and it is difficult for you to get TalkTalk to book an Engineer to look into it."

Exactly why I am trying to sort it out, truly "Insightful"

And why I believe TalkTalk have manually adjusted the minimum speed on my line.

0 Likes

AllyM
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 36 of 69

@Qwghlm ,

The estimated speeds for Fibre35 seem correct as that package is limited at 40Mbps downstream sync speed which I would expect to give approximately 37Mbps actual download speed as quoted. The figures they have for Fibre65 on your line are clearly incorrect for some reason. I'm not sure how you go about fixing this as the customer service operators seem to only be able to quote and work with the incorrect figures the system tells them.

Obviously, none of this directly affects your broadband service when it is working properly. It only becomes an issue when your connection is slow and it is difficult for you to get TalkTalk to book an Engineer to look into it.

Message 37 of 69

Just had an interesting online chat.

Couldn't make it up, so Fibre 35 would give 36-37 with a guaranteed 35, Fibre 65 would give 19.7-21.9 

Fibre 35 is 70% faster than Fibre 65, hmmm, and both are the same price.

13:27, Dec 10
wendy: Fibre 35 speeds are Highest download is 37.0 and lowest is 36.0. Minimum guaranteed speed is
13:28, Dec 10
You: Are you sure the minimum speed for my line is 35Mbps, I am being told elsewhere it is 17Mbps
13:29, Dec 10
You: Sorry, that should be 18Mpbs
13:31, Dec 10
wendy: I am talking about Fibre35.Please allow me a minute while I check on Fibre65
13:32, Dec 10
You: No, FIbre 35 is what I am interested in, but I need to know the actual minimum that TalkTalk will be
guaranteeing my line speed to be.
13:34, Dec 10
wendy: With Fibre 35 you will be getting the above speeds.
13:36, Dec 10
You: So TalkTalk will guarantee a minimum of 35Mbps for my line, anything below 35Mbps and an
engineer will be sent to see what the problem is?
13:37, Dec 10
You: Thank you for all of this, what would my total bill be now without TV, and with Fibre 35 please?
13:37, Dec 10
wendy: Yes if you have speeds below 35 you have to chat in and tests will be ran
13:38, Dec 10
You: It's currently £41 pm
13:38, Dec 10
wendy: As you have Unlimited UK calls boosts your charge will be £43.95
13:40, Dec 10
You: So Fibre 35 is £2.95 more than Fibre 65? £29.95 Vs £27?
13:41, Dec 10
wendy: Fibre35 is £29.95
You: I'm currently paying £27 for Fibre 65
wendy: Same price as Fibre65
You: Fibre 35 is the same price as Fibre 65?
You: That's just mad

13:43, Dec 10
You: So if I stay with Fibre 65, what is the guaranteed minimum speed below which TalkTalk will send an
engineer out?
13:44, Dec 10
You: Specifically for my line?
13:44, Dec 10
wendy: Your Fibre65 highest download is 21.9 and Lowest is 19.7
13:46, Dec 10
You: So Fibre 35 has a higher speed than Fibre 65?
13:47, Dec 10
wendy: Upon checking on my end it seems like that.
13:49, Dec 10
You: OK, thank you for your help with the TV, I will have to think about 35 Vs 65

0 Likes

Qwghlm
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 38 of 69

Also interesting that I am being told in your chat line....

"Fibre 35 speeds are Highest download is 37.0 and lowest is 36.0. Minimum guaranteed speed is 35.0...."

0 Likes

Qwghlm
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 39 of 69

So far Utility Warehouse is £1 cheaper with a guaranteed minimum of 32Mbps, (I wonder how they can guarantee that and you can't?).

Still to ring your Loyalty Team.

0 Likes

Message 40 of 69

I'll do that when I've finished talking to Utility Warehouse, they supply my gas and electricity so I might as well go to them for broadband as well then, seeing as I've had to buy a recording freeview box as you've stopped supplying them.

0 Likes