cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

What is the minimum guaranteed speed for Fibre 65?

Qwghlm
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 69 of 69

I normally get around the 45Mbps from my Fibre 65, recently I have had a lot of problems with intermittent broadband connection, which is normally sorted out by Openreach using new wires to to local junction box.

The last time was about two weeks ago and it was back up to a consistent 45Mbps.

I have just tried to stream a video and it stated not enough speed.

Checking on the PC it's down to 22Mbps, this is normally a precursor of the same old intermittent connection problem yet again, (about 10 in the last 2 years).

What is the minimum guaranteed speed, because when I run a speed test it tells me I'm getting 24Mbps with a guaranteed minimum of 17Mbps?

This cannot be correct that the minimum is 17Mbps when I am paying for a service that states 65Mbps.

0 Likes
68 REPLIES 68

AllyM
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 61 of 69

@Qwghlm ,

It does seem very strange that you say you normally get about 45Mbps when TalkTalk seem to think the estimated speed for your line is 17 to 21Mbps. It is also odd that they even sold you the Fibre65 service if those were their estimates at the time.

What estimates do you get if you put your address in the BT checker here: BT Broadband (btwholesale.com)

martswain
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 62 of 69

@Qwghlm the maximum speed on Fibre 35 is 40/10

If you downgrade then those caps will apply to your line.

0 Likes

Message 63 of 69

HI Qwghlm,

Glad to hear that your speed has improved following the reboot, thanks for letting us know 

Chris

0 Likes

Message 64 of 69

Now this is very interesting, just turned the router off and back on and let it reset.

Just checked and it's back up to 46.3 Mbps

So hows that fit in with what Karl said?

My line is capable of above 40Mbps and I've a feeling that I wouldn't get 38Mbps, (which is the Fibre 35 max), on Fibre 35 either.

0 Likes

Message 65 of 69

How was I consistently getting above 45Mbps then?

And 17-22 was not the speed TT stated when I asked about Fibre 65, they stated 40Mbps which was achieved, and which I am happy with.

Something has changed to half it.

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 66 of 69

@Qwghlm  the speed depends on the length and quality of your line.

There is NO global minimum speed for either Fibre 35 or 65, each line in the UK will have their own individual characteristics.

You are not understanding the products and technology correctly.

You are on the wrong product.

@Karl-TalkTalk has given you the MGALS for your line so you should call TT and move to Fibre 35 as your line can never support anything above 40/10 which are the maximum speeds on Fibre 35.

0 Likes

Message 67 of 69

So if I get 22Mbps and the Fibre 65 states an average of 67Mbps, others are getting 112<bps.

That is clearly nonsense, so please give me a link to the TalkTalk page where it clearly specifies what download/upload speed to expect from Fibre 65.

It also does not explain why I get a consistent 45Mbps when the line is OK, and it only drops to that level when there is a problem between my home and the junction box.

As an extra, what would the minimum speed be if I were to downgrade to Fibre 35 seeing as that says 38Mbps.

Would it still be 17-21Mbps by any chance? 

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 68 of 69

Hi

your line is in sync at 22mb.  The esimated speed fornyour line is 17-21mb with a minimum guaranteed speed of 17mb, so your line is performing as it should.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes