cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Wi-Fi Hub port forwarding

davecm
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 60 of 60

Hi. Are there any networking experts out there who could advise on how best to replicate the current port forwarding rules, used on my ASUS wi-fi 6 modem/router, on the Talktalk Wi-Fi hub.

In particular what I should select in the Service drop down list on the hub port forwarding settings for each rule shown in the attached file. The rest is fairly obvious.

My aim is to configure the Wi-Fi hub as an exact mirror of the Asus router, so that if needed for Talktalk testing, or if the Asus router is faulty (which it was recently), I can do a straight swap, without having to reconfigure either the router, my NAS, or any connected devices, each time.

So I'd plan to give the Wi-Fi hub the same SSID, passwords and other settings, as the Asus.

The port forwarding is necessary for the NAS external access functionality, and the ports used are chosen because the Asus router reserves several common ports for its own use, e,g, 80, 443, 5000, 5001, 500, 4500. If these default ports for the NAS are used,  they conflict with the router, so I have to use alternative ports.

Windows, Android, Synology NAS
0 Likes
59 REPLIES 59

Message 41 of 60

OK thanks, our product team are currently looking into it, I'll let you know when I have an update

Chris

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 42 of 60

I think if it had the phone port it would be the Sagemcom FAST 5464.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 43 of 60

No, it looks perfectly standard in hardware terms. Photo of label on rear attached. I've changed all the access details from those shown.

20220323_093029.jpg

Message 44 of 60

OK thanks, Does the router have a telephone port on the back, possibly covered with tape?

(I've removed some of the info from your previous post - I can still see it if I need it)

Thanks

Chris

Message 45 of 60

Yes, I copied and pasted the info from the hub GUI. It was suppled a couple of weeks ago.

0 Likes

Message 46 of 60

Thanks for the information. And as far as you're aware this is the firmware that it was shipped with?

Chris

0 Likes

Private Message TalkTalk

Message 47 of 60

Serial Number [removed]

Hardware Version FAST5364 3.00

Software Version SG4K100136

GUI Version 5.6.1

System Up Time 00h06m21s

MAC Address [removed]

0 Likes

Message 48 of 60

Hi davecm,

I'll ask our product team about this and get back to you when I have some more information

Chris

Message 49 of 60

Hi Keith. It was supplied by Talktalk a couple of weeks ago, as I needed to send my own router for repair or exchange. Looked to be new in unopened box.

0 Likes

Message 50 of 60

Not at present, as I can't configure to meet my requirements.

I could install a firmware update from a file, if you can provide a download link, or I could provide a secure upload link.

Or if we can arrange a day and a time window, I can leave it connected for a couple of hours, or overnight.

0 Likes

Message 51 of 60

Hi davecm,

Do you currently have the Sagemcom connected?

Chris

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 52 of 60

I don't think that this firmware was ever released, I have no idea how you have it. I will ask TalkTalk to see what can be done about it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 53 of 60

The firmware version appears to be TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub version SG4K100136

I'm unable to add any port forwarding rules at all.

First there appears to be a character limit to the rule description

A 4 digit limit on the port numbers

A blue highlight on the external host field if I enter *

Even if I select one of the pre-defined rules rather than Other, to create my own rules, nothing can be saved.

On clicking Add, a brief message in red indicates something has gone wrong, but not what!

I tried adding rules in both the Access section and in the Device section, all of the above applies to both.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 54 of 60

No, you can change the router's IP address DHCP scope & reserved IP addresses to match that of your Asus, so long as you are on firmware 2816 minimum.

Keith

0 Likes

davecm
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 55 of 60

Thanks for the detailed reply. I'll give that a go. Laptop wi-fi card is set to prefer 5GHz, and always connects to the Asus on that band. On the wif-fi hub it connected to 2.4Ghz on first 2 attempts, then 5Ghz after. Asus router, laptop and tablet all wifi 6, which is why I bought it.

Any hub issues likely with changing the default router IP, DHCP address range and reserved IPs to match the Asus, i.e. 192.168.50.1 and upwards? I'd like to be able to swap the routers whenever needed, without reconfiguring any other devices, as there's DDNS, VPN server, several remote internet connected devices which rely on DDNS+non standard port numbers to connect, and NAS firewall involved.

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 56 of 60

Hi @davecm 

Thanks for that. The Service Dropdown box in the port forwarding rules I always leave set to "Other" and then build my rules as required. The most common mistake people make is the "External Host" field, which should always be left at the wildcard setting of an asterisk (*).

Most of those bugs were fixed in V2816, & the remainder were fixed in the later V130.

There was never really a bug though of devices failing to connect to the most appropriate WiFi band. This all depends on the quality of the two bands where a device is currently. Two devices placed side by side can get different reception quality due to the unpredictable way that WiFi signals travel & get both reflected around & absorbed by all sorts of things. This is all down to the WiFi adapter in the device deciding which band has the better signal. If that chooses the 2.4GHz band, then Band Steering will try to move it to the 5GHz band, if the device supports it. Band Steering has various thresholds that could be set to change its behaviour, but they have never been exposed to the UI for user configuration. So really in answer to this one, it is totally down to the WiFi adapter's choice of band to use, not the router's.

Keith

davecm
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 57 of 60

Hi Keith

The hub is a Sagemcom Fast 5364.

You may also happen to know if the many firmware issues with early versions of the hub have now been resolved. I bought one in 2018, and after having 2 of them with hardware faults I returned them for a refund and bought an alternative from a store.

The particular firmware issues I experienced were:-

Router config backup could be saved, but could not be restored.

Several settings, e.g. edited connected device names, could be set and saved, but they then disappeared.

The router log was unusable and not fit for purpose.

Devices failed to connect automatically to the optimal wi-fi band, the 2.4Ghz and 5GHz bands had to be given separate SSIDs, and compatible devices connected to the appropriate band.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 58 of 60

Hi @davecm 

@Michelle-TalkTalk has asked me to help you with your port forwarding. Before I can do so, I need to know the make/model of TalkTalk WiFi hub that you have. There are two of them & they are totally different to configure.

Keith

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 59 of 60

Hello,

@KeithFrench - is this something that you might be able to help with?

Thanks