cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Wi-Fi Hub port forwarding

davecm
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 60 of 60

Hi. Are there any networking experts out there who could advise on how best to replicate the current port forwarding rules, used on my ASUS wi-fi 6 modem/router, on the Talktalk Wi-Fi hub.

In particular what I should select in the Service drop down list on the hub port forwarding settings for each rule shown in the attached file. The rest is fairly obvious.

My aim is to configure the Wi-Fi hub as an exact mirror of the Asus router, so that if needed for Talktalk testing, or if the Asus router is faulty (which it was recently), I can do a straight swap, without having to reconfigure either the router, my NAS, or any connected devices, each time.

So I'd plan to give the Wi-Fi hub the same SSID, passwords and other settings, as the Asus.

The port forwarding is necessary for the NAS external access functionality, and the ports used are chosen because the Asus router reserves several common ports for its own use, e,g, 80, 443, 5000, 5001, 500, 4500. If these default ports for the NAS are used,  they conflict with the router, so I have to use alternative ports.

Windows, Android, Synology NAS
0 Likes
59 REPLIES 59

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 21 of 60

Hi @davecm @Debbie-TalkTalk 

I have just tested all of those ports and they work OK in V136.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 22 of 60

I will need time to test that @davecm.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

davecm
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 23 of 60

Admin password changed ok

I would need to forward ports 80 and 443. Can  the Sagemcom hub (with correct latest firmware) forward all the ports I need, as shown in the earlier attachment?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 24 of 60

Hi @davecm 

These are the ports that the Huawei WiFi Hub cannot forward:-

TCP Ports 22, 23, 80, 443 

UDP 53

Keith

Message 25 of 60

Hi Dave

Wi-Fi Hub Black (Huawei)

1. Open your browser and type in 192.168.1.1 to go to the router admin page
  2. Login with your router username and password. You’ll find these on the sticker underneath the removable settings card on back of your Wi-Fi Hub
  3. On the Dashboard page, select See Internet Settings
  4. Then select Manage advanced settings
  5. Select Continue on the pop-up box
  6. Choose Advanced configuration
  7. Then select System management followed by Account management
  8. Type in your current router admin password
  9. Now type in your new router admin password, and again in the Confirm password box
  10. To finish, select Apply and then OK on the confirmation box
0 Likes

davecm
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 26 of 60

One last question. I couldn't see a way to change the Huawei hub admin password to something I can remember. Is that intentional, or did I just not look hard enough? Is there a full user guide? (Not concerned if it's technical, my job involves writing IT user guides).

0 Likes

Message 27 of 60

Hi Dave

Ok no problem.  Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

davecm
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 28 of 60

I will be visiting the friend, whose Huawei hub I installed yesterday, later today, so I could test the port forwarding settings on his hub, and confirm, before you send me a replacement. Will let you know. 

davecm
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 29 of 60

The port forwarding I'd like to use is shown in the attached pdf file. That way, if I need to swap routers for Talktalk testing, or firmware upgrades, I can literally swap the Talktalk hub for my Asus one, without having to reconfigure my devices which require port forwarding every time.

0 Likes

Message 30 of 60

Thanks Keith.

Dave - Just to double check (as I've just seen Keith's reply) You would still like to try the Huawei?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 31 of 60

Hi Dave,

Yes of course I am sure. You will find difference though as the Huawei cannot forward certain ports that the Sagemcom can.

Keith

davecm
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 32 of 60

Yes please, postcode ending in 9QL, just for confirmation

Message 33 of 60

Hi Dave

Yes they are practically identical but the Sagemcom hub has bronze holes on the front and the Huawei hub has black.

Am I ok to send it to the address linked to the telephone number in your Community Profile?

0 Likes

davecm
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 34 of 60

Hi Debbie

If the Huawei one is what I installed yesterday (according to the spec details I posted earlier) for a friend, but outwardly identical to the Sagemcom one, then that would be a good idea.

The Sagemcom one I have won't save any port forwarding settings, so I'm unable to use it.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 35 of 60

Hi davecm

We have 2 WIFI hubs, one is the Sagemcom and the other is the Huawei WIFI hub.

Would you like me to send the Huawei hub for testing?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

davecm
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 36 of 60

Are you sure Keith? Have Huawei produced one which externally is absolutely identical to the Sagemcom one?

Still waiting for an OCE to confirm whether they will update my firmware (from a never released version) to the correct version, or send me a replacement hub. I'd prefer one the same as the one I installed yesterday. The account holder's details are in my profile.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 37 of 60

The completely different UI is down to the fact that you have the Sagemcom hub & your friend as the Huawei one. They are different manufacturers and have always been totally different. However, their specifications are near enough identical.

Keith

0 Likes

davecm
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 38 of 60

Device info from friends hub I installed yesterday:-

Device Type: DG8041W
Description: EchoLife DG8041W Home Gateway
SN: 2153035991QUL6006384
Hardware Version: I.1.01
Software Version: v1.05t
MAC: 6C:EB:B6:FE:9E:98
CPU Usage: 1%
Memory Usage: 19%
Device Runtime: 0 day 20 hours 16 minutes 44 seconds
Custom Info: TALKTALK2WIFI

UI seems to expose many more advanced settings to the user than any previous version I've seen.

Would you prefer to update my firmware, or send me a replacement router.

0 Likes

Message 39 of 60

Hello,

Can I confirm, do you know what version of firmware they have on the router?

Thanks

0 Likes

davecm
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 40 of 60

A friend had a new Sagemcom wi-fi hub delivered yesterday. I installed it for him today. The UI is completely different from that on the hub you supplied to me recently. If the hardware is compatible, can we arrange a day to update the firmware?

If not, you could send me another new hub, and I can return the one with the unrecognised firmware.

0 Likes