cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Wi fi from router very low

Gordon1946
Team Player
Private Message
Message 35 of 35

My router is showing a download speed of 16.5 being received but I am only able to get 7.6 on wireless ipad and laptop and 6.2 on a test wired laptop.

Spent 90 minutes on chat to support who kept telling me I was receiving the expected download. Finished no further on than i was using the automated troubleshooter the day before.

On Friday speeds were OK (16.5) on Saturday dropped to 10; Sunday onwards 8.

I have checked for local congestion on the wifi channels using Metageek Inssider and changed to lowest used but no difference. Any suggestions.

Gordon

Gordon 1946
0 Likes
34 REPLIES 34

Message 21 of 35

Hi Gordon1946

Apologies, we can send you a router for testing, would you like us to arrange this?

0 Likes

Message 22 of 35

No I did ask about a router for testing, but was told by Mycha he didn’t have availability of one to send.

it was my thought that router may be faulty as original problem of speed to equipment occurred on both Wi-Fi and wired ports even though router menu showed receiving download of 16.5, but your speed check results only showed 8.

I have tested all my internal wiring which appears ok.

Just note to let you know I do appreciate problems of resolving issues as I was IT Support manager for my organisation in Lancashire for 14 years befor retiring in 2011.

Gordon 1946
0 Likes

Message 23 of 35

Hi Gordon1946

Thanks for confirming. Have we also sent you a new router for testing?

Next step following this will be an Openreach engineer visit.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 24 of 35

Yes. It has been since I had contact with Mycha in Tech support online earlier in the week. Heard nothing further from him so contacted the community for help.

Gordon 1946
0 Likes

Message 25 of 35

Hi Gordon1946

Thanks for your reply.

I've checked the connection stats and the connection appears to be more stable but the sync speed hasn't increased.

Is the router currently connected at the test socket?

0 Likes

Message 26 of 35

Hi Chris,

Connection has remained stable over weekend at the reduced download speed of 15 mbs at the router with no changes made over weekend.

This is giving me a speed of 13.6 on my equipment.

Gordon 1946
0 Likes

Message 27 of 35

OK thanks. If the connection remains stable DLM should you move you back to the faster profile. Could you bump the thread on Monday and we'll check to see if anything has changed

Chris

0 Likes

Message 28 of 35

No. We haven't noticed any.

Gordon 1946
0 Likes

Message 29 of 35

It looks as though the line management system (DLM) has moved you to slightly slower profile due to disconnections. Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service, any noise on the line?

Chris

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 30 of 35

Sorry for the delay in responding @Gordon1946, obviously this won't be WiFi interference at all then.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 31 of 35

Hi Chris. Carried out as requested.

Router connection now 15mbs, down from the 16.5 I was previously receiving.

speed test on laptop and iPad now 13.8 where previously was at 16 until last Saturday when everything dropped.

Gordon 1946
0 Likes

Message 32 of 35

Hi Gordon,

Could you switch the router off and leave it off for at least 30 minutes then switch back on and retest, please let us know if there's any improvement following the restart

Chris

0 Likes

Gordon1946
Team Player
Private Message
Message 33 of 35

Thanks for your contact.

Router is Sagecom Fast 5364

Firmware SG4K100136

My broadband is FTTC

My problem does not only exist on wifi but also on wired connections.

Gordon

Gordon 1946
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 34 of 35

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a byproduct of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

If you would like me to help you, please can you specify the make/model of TalkTalk router that you are using?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes