cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Xbox consoles (new and old gen) disconnect and reconnect repeatedly from Wifi

doolez
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 15 of 15

Every 5-8 minutes my Series S will disconnect from my Wifi for ~5 seconds before reconnecting like nothing happened. This is obviously not ideal for online play as it disconnects me from the game. Initially I thought it was an Xbox issue however I tried my old Xbox One and it also experienced the same issue. I have tried restarting my router, resetting my Xbox, changing the Port and nothing has worked. 

Recently I tried setting up port forwarding for the 7 ports listed here under Xbox Live, but was met with the error "THE CONFIGURED PORT CONFLICTS WITH THE INTERNAL SERVICE PORT" when trying to add 3 of the ports (including 80). Is this my issue? I have a Huawei router and noticed older posts saying it could not port forward basic ports. 

Thanks

0 Likes
14 REPLIES 14

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 15

Thanks for that @Debbie-TalkTalk 

Hi @doolez I will send you the PM now.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 3 of 15

Hi doolez

Sorry for the delay. Your PM's have been enabled.

Thanks @KeithFrench

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 15

You have requested that they be enabled, only TalkTalk can do this for you. I do not offer to email this document, as that would give away my email address.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 15

@KeithFrench Sorry, are you saying I just request enabling PMs here? If so I'd like them enabled. I'm also ok to use email if that is easier. I'm new to this community and couldn't find an option to enable in my profile/settings. 

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 15

Hi @doolez 

You do not yet have PMs enabled. Please request it in your reply & TalkTalk will enable them for you. If you let me know when this is done, I will send you the guide.

Keith

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 15

I will PM you a link for a guide of mine on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots that I have requested in my guide (no photos please they can be difficult to read as text can get out of focus when zoomed in), from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button (in a mobile browser it's the picture icon) on the post editor's toolbar with the Size parameter set to Large. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this puts the text out of focus. If you prefer PM them to me. If you do PM me, then please add a link in there to this thread, so that I can find it easily.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 8 of 15

@ferguson  Sorry, I missed this reply. Yes I do have it enabled. 

0 Likes

Message 9 of 15

@KeithFrench Appreciate the response, there's a bit here to process, so I will try address the individual points as best I can:

1. There is no impact on download/upload speed outside of the disconnects. My consoles both experienced normal behaviour (no lag/delay) up until the moments they disconnect and after they reconnect there is normal behaviour again. 
  2. I have tried on both bands and experience the same behaviour on each. A consistent 5-10 second disconnect approximately every 5-8 minutes. All of my devices were on the 5 band, until I switched my console to the 2.4 to see if that would experience the same behaviour (which it did). 
  3. All devices (console, laptop, TV and mobile phone when I have it) are in the same room and I've not seen any negative performance at all on any other device over the past two weeks while this has been happening to my console. 

I would appreciate if you could give me that guide to work through tomorrow morning (it's near midnight now). 

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 10 of 15

@ferguson Yeah, I came across that thread and tried the suggestion. Both are differently named and I have still experienced the same issue on both bands. 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 15

If the device keeps disconnecting, no amount of port forwarding will fix this, you need to identify why this device is disconnecting & resolve the issue. Even if you have other devices that are not disconnecting that is no judge of the state of your WiFi, because they could be using a different WiFi band to this device or the path taken by the WiFi signal to this device might be different, even if your other devices are nearby due to the way the signal can reflect & refract throughout your property. 

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal or no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a byproduct of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results so that I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 15

Alternatively, it could just be a wireless connectivity issue, have you tried splitting the SSIDs?

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Split-your-router-s-SSID-wireless-network-name/ta-p/230...

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 15

I cannot help with port forwarding, although @KeithFrench may be able to.

For what it's worth, my son has used both old and new Xbox consoles without issue using the same Hub as yours. Do you have UpPNP enabled? 

doolez
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 14 of 15

Just to note - no other device in my house has this problem. While the Xbox(s) temporarily disconnect, my phone and laptop etc all still function correctly. 

0 Likes