cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Wifi Issues

Bw44057jason
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 27 of 27

Hi, i was wondering if anyone had some ideas what might be causing my wifi issues. My original setup was a router downstairs and issues upstairs due to distance etc. So to solve it had a talk talk extender installed. Extender seems to be fully setup correctly (all the lights on). However when it's on my wifi can drop massively everywhere around the house but maily when near it, i get 0.5mbps compared to 60mbps. It also takes out the sonos speakers downstairs too. I survive by plugging a cable into the extender and directly into my laptop in the daytime which works fine and I just use mobile data on my phone. Then at night switch the extender off so wifi then is generally ok in the main part of the house for the kids to use. The kids call it the wifi killer haha. The only thing that i can think of (could be completely wrong) is I'm staying connected to router downstairs getting about 20mbps due to distance and then when the extender is turned on I'm not switching to it and all it's really doing is causing interference and therefore causing my wifi connection to router downstairs to become worse. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

0 Likes
26 REPLIES 26

Message 1 of 27

Hi Bw44057jason

Thank you. 

@KeithFrench the router is Sagemcom Fast 5364-3.T8

Message 2 of 27

Yes it's a Sagemcom Fast 5364-3.T8, yes it's connected. One of your colleagues disabled auto optimisation.

Message 3 of 27

Hi Bw44057jason

Thanks for your reply.

Can I just check which router you received? Is the router connected at the moment?

Message 4 of 27

Hi Debbie, yes received my new router thanks. I still have same problems but Keith is helping me. Thanks 

Message 5 of 27

Hi Bw44057jason

Have you received the replacement router?

Thanks

Debbie

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 27

Thanks @Karl-TalkTalk 

Hi @Bw44057jason 

I will PM you a link for a guide of mine on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots that I have requested in my guide (no photos please they can be difficult to read as text can get out of focus when zoomed in), from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button (in a mobile browser it's the picture icon) on the post editor's toolbar with the Size parameter set to Large. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this puts the text out of focus. If you prefer PM them to me. If you do PM me, then please add a link in there to this thread, so that I can find it easily.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 7 of 27

Thanks Karl.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 27

Hi

I've turned optimisation off 🙂

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 27

Have you had TalkTalk’s Wi-Fi optimisation disabled on your Sagemcom FAST5364 router? When this is enabled, as it is by default, it has the power to override any Wi-Fi configuration changes that I might suggest that you need to make. This will not help rectify this type of problem if Wi-Fi Optimisation is allowed to change my suggested settings. Only TalkTalk can do this for you, you cannot do it yourself. If not, just request they disable this for you in your reply.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 27

Hi, it's a Sagemcom Fast 5364-3.T8. If I'm near the extender and then turn my wifi off then on again on my phone, it's really quick (70mbps) but after a few mins it starts to glitch again and sometimes drops to less than 1mbps. Phone sometimes jumps to data, it generally kills the sonos system too that sits between the router and extender. If I'm near the router i see the performance drop when the extender is on. Thanks 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 27

Hi @Bw44057jason 

What make/model of router did you get sent as the replacement?

Keith

0 Likes

Bw44057jason
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 12 of 27
Hi Keith, thanks for help, yes happy to wait until th router arrives. 

To answer your other questions, yes I've currently got a w611av in but I've tried a 610 too. For info I didn't use the WPS option, I just followed the default instructions to power up next to each other initially and then moved the extender to the new location. 
Thanks, I'll be touch
Jason
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 27

Hi @Bw44057jason 

That actually means that you did use the WPS option, but probably didn't realise it. It automatically put the router into WPS mode without you doing anything. That is why it needs to be near your router to start with.

Let me know after the new router has been tried.

Keith

Bw44057jason
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 15 of 27
Hi Keith, thanks for help, yes happy to wait until th router arrives. 

To answer your other questions, yes I've currently got a w611av in but I've tried a 610 too. For info I didn't use the WPS option, I just followed the default instructions to power up next to each other initially and then moved the extender to the new location. 
Thanks, I'll be touch
Jason

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 27

Hi @Bw44057jason 

@Debbie-TalkTalk has asked me to help you with your WiFi issues, before getting started, it is worth waiting for the new router to be tried first, as my in-depth help will be wasted on the old router if you are going to stick with the new one when it arrives.

Just to confirm, which TalkTalk WiFi Extender do you have, is the D-Link DHP-W610AV two unit kit? If so there can very well be some improvement to be had by optimising the channel usage of both the router & extender. It does sound to me like they are probably using the same channels as each other, which is very likely to cause the issues you describe. The channels will probably be the same as each other if you just did the WPS connection method, but there is an advanced configuration area for it I can talk you through if required.

Please let me know when you have tried the replacement router & decided which one is best.

Keith

Message 17 of 27

Hi @KeithFrench

Would you be able to offer some advice please?

I have sent a new router for testing but wondered if you could also take a look at set up etc and offer some advice?

Thank you.

Message 18 of 27

Hi Jason

I've enabled your Private Messages just in case you did want to send a message.

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive. Let us know once the new router is connected and we can take a look at this again.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 19 of 27

No that's fine, i was just going to talk some more detail. 

0 Likes

Message 20 of 27

Hi Bw44057jason

Apologies, we only provide online support on the Community.

Would you prefer to send me a Private Message? (on the Community)

0 Likes