cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

internet keeps dropping out for a few seconds then come back on

M-L-7
Participant
Private Message
Message 28 of 28

Hi,

For the passed few weeks my internet keeps "blipping" that is it goes off for a couple of seconds then comes back on.  I have tried all the recommendations to no avail.  It does vary sometimes it will be ok for a couple of hours then it will go off and on a number of times in an hour.

I have a TalkTalk Sagemcom Fast 5364 router and connect to it via wifi.

Any help gratefully received

0 Likes
27 REPLIES 27

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 21 of 28

If the 'Up Time' is saying the router has been connected for a long period of time then that would suggest the issue you have is with the Wi-Fi connection between your devices and your router, rather than with the router losing connection with the internet.

Have you actually used an App to determine the best Wi-Fi channels to use in your environment ?

Also, if you want to use static channels anyway it might be worth you getting the staff here to disable the 'Wi-fi Optimisation' on the router, just to eliminate that as a possible cause.

Message 22 of 28

According to the router it hasn't lost connect, which is really annoying as I know it has.

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 23 of 28

Ok, if you log into the router it will show you the 'up time', that would indicate if your router had lost its connection to the internet recently.

Message 24 of 28

Thanks for your input. I don't know if the light on the router goes out as by the time I have realised the internet has gone off and get to the router it will have come back on.

M-L-7
Participant
Private Message
Message 25 of 28

Hi Thanks for you advice, I am using fixed channels and they don't appear to be changing, at least whenever I have checked them they are as I set them, so I assume they are not changing.

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 26 of 28

If the LED does remain solid white you could try changing the channels that your router broadcasts the Wi-Fi signal on, you can use free smartphone Apps like this to see what channels are being used within range of your smartphone, you can then change your router to use channels that are less congested.

Be aware that the Sagemcom router has a feature called 'Wi-Fi Optimisation', this means it can change the Wi-Fi channel itself, overriding what you have set it to, it can randomly do this after minutes, hours or days !. So if you do find a channel that works well, but then things go bad again, check to see if the router has changed channel to something different to what you set it to. If you do experience this problem then just post back here to ask the staff to disable the 'Wi-Fi Optimisation' on your router, once that is done it will stay on whatever channel you set it to.

If the router is flipping between Wi-Fi channels excessively because of this 'Wi-fi Optimisation' feature, then this can also cause your devices to see intermittent dropouts, so getting this behaviour disabled would be worth while if you think it might be changing your channels a lot.

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 27 of 28

Hi @M-L-7,

Does the LED remain solid white on the router when you have these issues, as if it does you may well be suffering from Wi-Fi interference, or suffering from the router flipping between Wi-Fi channels.