cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

speed problem

Lesman
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 265 of 265

Hello.

I have a contract for a Fiber35 package. The download speed is about 27 Mbps and the upload speed is about 6 Mbps. On February 23, the speed suddenly dropped to about 13 Mbps to the router and 11 Mbps to the PC. A line check showed a problem. On March 2, an engineer arrived. After his visit, the speeds did not change much and the line test continued to show the problem. After about three weeks, the line test shows that everything is fine, but the speeds to the router are 18 Mbps and to the computer 15 to 16 Mbps. This situation continues to this day. I don't understand why the speeds can't go back to normal as they were according to the subscription, and it's been over a month! My neighbor has Internet on the same network and still has normal speeds and we are connected the same way!! I do not understand! I'm still using the original router and cables I received when I first connected, and why is the speed difference 2 to 3 Mbps? Please explain this problem to me and help me get back to normal.

0 Likes
264 REPLIES 264

Message 81 of 265

Hi Les

The only option we have is to arrange an engineer visit to investigate further.

Please can you provide your availability for this visit AM and PM?

Can you also confirm potential engineer charges Engineer charges

0 Likes

Message 82 of 265

I only want one thing - for this to end and for the Internet to be stable.

The installation in the house is unchanged.

This constant plugging, checking, etc. becomes annoying and only helps for a few weeks.

Do what you think is right to end this horror.

Regards

Les

0 Likes

Message 83 of 265

Hi Les

I'm sorry to hear this.

The line test is clear but I can see that the sync speed has dropped.

If you have tested with a different router at the test socket, then the next step will be an Openreach engineer visit.

Would you like me to arrange this visit?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 84 of 265

Hi Debbie

For about two weeks, I have noticed the Internet speed decreasing from 28 Mbps to about 7 Mbps, which it reached on Sunday, June 30, and has been maintaining all this time.

When I try to check the connection, I receive information that the problem is open as of June 30. But to this day nothing has changed. Will there finally be a competent person who will fix it once and for all? This troubled comedy has been running for over a year, with several weeks between problems.

I am asking for help in repairing and ending this failure marathon.

Regards

Les

0 Likes

Message 85 of 265

Hi Les

Thanks for your reply.

If you would like us to arrange an engineer visit then please let us know.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 86 of 265

Yes, I understand that the minimum speed is maintained, but I know that this speed can be higher and the Internet will work more smoothly. I had periods when you delivered speeds of over 30 Mbps. So it is possible, realistic and basically corresponds to the offer of the package I am paying for.

Continuing to trace the line probably won't change anything.

If you think there is nothing more that can be done here, we close the topic.

If the problems reoccur, I will let you know.

Thank you for your help.

Regards.

Les

0 Likes

Message 87 of 265

Hi Les

Your current speed is within the predicted range for your line. Minimum guaranteed speed is 18.4mb.

How would you like to proceed? Would you prefer to monitor for a little while longer to see how the connection is?

0 Likes

Message 88 of 265

I can't give you a definite answer because the internet speed was constantly changing. It ranged approximately from 32 to 16 Mbps. It wasn't as stable as it is now. This is the speed shown to me on the computer. I cannot check the speed to the router because the speed measurement on your website (via my account) has not been working for several days.

Les

0 Likes

Message 89 of 265

Hi Les,

Ok thanks. I've re-run the test again and it's showing the same fault again - Impairment in copper joint detected most likely close to customer premises.

The current sync speed is 30mb. Do you recall what sync speed you were seeing prior to the connection becoming unstable?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 90 of 265

Yes, the connected router is the same (recently received, I called it "new").

You did your last test on it.

Everything is connected.

Les

0 Likes

Message 91 of 265

Hi Les,

Thank you. I've re-run the line test and it's now clear. Do you still have the previous router that you could re-connect and we'll run the test again?

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 92 of 265

Of course. I unplug the router and phone for 20 minutes.

Les

0 Likes

Message 93 of 265

Hi again Les,

Ok thanks for confirming. Would it be possible to remove the router and phone for around 10 minutes so we can re-run the line test again with no equipment connected to the line?

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 94 of 265

Yes, it is in the test socket all the time

Les

0 Likes

Message 95 of 265

Morning Les,

Thanks for the update. I can see that the connection looks stable but the line test is detecting a potential fault towards the property. Is the router still connected to the test socket at the moment please?

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 96 of 265

Hi Michelle

I'm sorry that I'm replying only now, but I was away from home all day.

Since replacing the router, the Internet has remained connected all the time.

The speed is about 28 Mbps (it has not returned to the former about 32 Mbps).

I had three situations while working on the Internet in which programs suddenly slowed down significantly, only to return to full speed after a dozen or so seconds. I don't know if it is related to the sudden drop in internet speed or there is another reason.

Should I do anything else or switch the router connection from the test socket to the normal one?

Regards

Les

0 Likes

Message 97 of 265

Hi Les,

How has your connection been?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 98 of 265

Thanks Les. It can take DLM between 24-48hrs to make changes to the speed if the connection remains stable so I'll check back in with you on Wednesday if that's ok to see how the connection compares and how you're getting on.

Michelle 🙂

0 Likes

Message 99 of 265

Hi Michelle

Currently, the new router is connected via a test socket.
The speed checked on the TalkTalk website is 26 Mbps.
Should I do anything else and how long should I leave the connection via the test socket?
Regards
Les

0 Likes

Message 100 of 265

Hi Les,

Ok thanks for the update. Could you try connecting the new router at the test socket and let us know how the stability compares following this. We can then check the broadband speed again.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes