cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

speed problem

Lesman
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 265 of 265

Hello.

I have a contract for a Fiber35 package. The download speed is about 27 Mbps and the upload speed is about 6 Mbps. On February 23, the speed suddenly dropped to about 13 Mbps to the router and 11 Mbps to the PC. A line check showed a problem. On March 2, an engineer arrived. After his visit, the speeds did not change much and the line test continued to show the problem. After about three weeks, the line test shows that everything is fine, but the speeds to the router are 18 Mbps and to the computer 15 to 16 Mbps. This situation continues to this day. I don't understand why the speeds can't go back to normal as they were according to the subscription, and it's been over a month! My neighbor has Internet on the same network and still has normal speeds and we are connected the same way!! I do not understand! I'm still using the original router and cables I received when I first connected, and why is the speed difference 2 to 3 Mbps? Please explain this problem to me and help me get back to normal.

0 Likes
264 REPLIES 264

Message 1 of 265
0 Likes

Message 2 of 265

Ok. No problem, I can use it.

It was replaced quite a while ago when the internet problem occurred again.

I will work on it and see what happens.

Les

0 Likes

Message 3 of 265

OK thanks. The speed that the router syncs at really depends on the line profile and the background noise on the line. If the router is in sync at a high speed, an increase in noise on the line can cause the router to lose sync and resync at a lower speed due to the increased noise, it will then stay in sync at the lower speed until the router is rebooted. So I can understand why rebooting the router would increase the speed but I can't understand how rebooting the router doesn't increase the speed but swapping it for another router then swapping back to the original does result in a speed increase

Is there any reason why you can't just continue to use the older router if it doesn't have the same problem with speed dropping?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 265

This has been done before and today. No effect.

Les

0 Likes

Message 5 of 265

If you just switch the router off for 30 minutes rather than replacing it does this not restore the speed?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 6 of 265

I don't know the answer to this question.

But to "recover" the speed I have to connect another router. The speed returns to normal and I can go back to the old router.

After that it doesn't matter which router is working.

The speed is the same on both. In my opinion, connecting another router would cause your internet broadcasting to "wake up".

This is very strange and incomprehensible to me.

Les

0 Likes

Message 7 of 265

So if you switch back to the other router will the speed drop again? Is there a problem with the router that you are using at the moment that stops you using this in the long term?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 8 of 265

Hi Chris

Yes, I know that.

I wrote about it in my last email.

But this effect was achieved by switching routers. It is not a solution to the problem that I do it every now and then.

Please read my previous emails with Michelle today.

Les

0 Likes

Message 9 of 265

Hi Les,

The sync speed is now 32Mbps, have you noticed any improvement?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 10 of 265

The router I work on is about 3-4 months old and was sent as a replacement for the previous one. I don't know if it matters, but when I had the old router model there were no such problems.

The tests you are doing do not show anything but you do not tell me why the "miraculous rebirth of speed" occurred after replacing the router and returning to the old one.

If at that moment we did not touch the external and internal lines at my home, the conclusion is obvious - either these routers are acting strangely or the problem is with the internet provider.

I do not know what options you have, but I expect this situation to be resolved and closed, not to pay for an engineer to look at it, who will state that the connection is good and did not find a problem.

Do what you think so that this finally ends.

Les

0 Likes

Message 11 of 265

Hi Les,

Unfortunately when the tests are all clear on our side, the only option we have is to arrange an engineer visit to the property. We can only arrange a specific line/exchange engineers when the tests identify a potential external line fault. How long have you had this replacement router for? Did we send this recently?

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 12 of 265

This situation is not the first time and another visit of an engineer to my home so that he finds nothing and I will have financial problems later is pointless. After each such repair (only in my home the engineer does not repair anything, but only takes measurements) the situation returns after about 2-3 weeks.

To put it mildly, it is all strange.

I have currently connected another router and the speed has increased to about 30 Mbps. I disconnected it and connected the old router that I am still working on and is currently connected. The speed has even increased to about 32 Mbps and is maintained.

This situation is not the first time and I have already reported it to you.

If the line is indeed clear, looking for the cause at my home is pointless. The problem must be somewhere else.

Best regards.

Les

0 Likes

Message 13 of 265

Hi Les,

Thanks for trying this. If the router is also still connected to the test socket at the moment then the only option we have is to arrange an engineer visit to the property.

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 14 of 265

Current speed dropped to 17 Mbps

Les

0 Likes

Message 15 of 265

Michelle

Sad news - restarting the router didn't change anything.

The speed didn't change.

Les

0 Likes

Message 16 of 265

Hi Les,

I'm sorry to hear this 😞 I've re-checked the connection stats now and I can see that sync speed has dropped but the line test is clear. Does it increase again if you reboot the router? If it does then it suggests a possible router issue.

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 17 of 265

Hi Michelle

Until Sunday everything was fine - the speed was about 31 Mbps.

Yesterday it started to drop and today it is about 19 Mbps.

No words for the quality of the repairs.

Les

0 Likes

Message 18 of 265

Hi Les,

Just checking back in to see if the speed has remained consistent since your last post?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 19 of 265

I'm glad to hear this Les and thanks for letting me know 🙂

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 20 of 265

Hi Michelle

I came home today to a very pleasant surprise - speed at around 32 Mbps. My wife told me that the speed after the repair was still at that level. Let's hope it stays that way.

Best regards

Les

0 Likes