Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Can receive but not send emails using Apple Mail

13 REPLIES 13
cglover2
Whizz Kid

I'll try and provide as much information as I can:

I have 2 email addresses affected one that is a Ukgateway.net which has been like this for a while and a Tiscali.co.uk one which was fine until recently. Both receive e-mails but will not send!

I am using Apple Mail 13.4 and macOS Catalina 10.15.7.  The two accounts are both POP and have been for ages.  

I was thinking about changing them to IMAP and was looking at their settings and might have inadvertently changed something but don't know what.  Bizarrely, they are showing that the SMTP server is 'NONE' but if I try to change it to smtp.tiscali.co.uk, it won't let me and reverts to NONE.

When I do manage to set the SMTP server I get this message:

The sender address obscured for customer security was rejected by the server smtp.tiscali.co.uk.

The server response was: cX24kWy3iIGNH Authentication Required (TT401)

Any help would be appreciated.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @cglover2 

The sender address is valid.

There are two reasons for the (TT401) error and fail to send the message. You'll need to verify the e-mail address and password in your account properties. Normal password verification is required. 

Keychain may be presenting the wrong password or simply that the outgoing server is not set up correctly for the email account.

Account Type  IMAP (recommended) POP3
Username username@tiscali.co.uk username@tiscali.co.uk
Password Yes Yes
Incoming host name imap.tiscali.co.uk pop.tiscali.co.uk
Incoming Port 993 995
Incoming Security Use TLS/SSL TLS/SSL
Outgoing host name smtp.tiscali.co.uk smtp.tiscali.co.uk
Outgoing Port 587 587
Outgoing Security Use TLS/SSL TLS/SSL
Authentication method Password Password

Or you can select the tick box to automatically manage connection settings.

If asked to accept a certificate the response is Yes / Accept.

You may need to save wanted mail messages and then remove the mail account from Apple Mail to set it up afresh.

If you wish to screenshot and post the outgoing server settings then just remember to image edit the first part of your email address before uploading.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2021

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

cglover2
Whizz Kid

Thanks@gondola for the response but not sure I understand.  You say:

You'll need to verify the e-mail address and password in your account properties. Normal password verification is required.

How and where? is this in Apple mail preferences or in my TalkTalk profile and what do I need to do to action this?

I have attached a screen shot of my current set-up, not really sure what is wrong with it!

Gondola
Community Star

Hi cglover2 

Is your password just 6 characters?  If so, it'll be the reason that the server is rejecting the credentials. I recommend a 12 - 15 multicase letters and numbers password plus symbol.

Upgrade your legacy mail password 

Also, the outgoing SMTP username and password is not optional so when you've upgraded the password make sure you enter that in both the incoming and outgoing server settings.

OCE_Ady
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi cglover2, you're in very good hands with Gondola. Please let us know if you need more help. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

cglover2
Whizz Kid

But the password has been the same for ages! Would it not work if I just used the same information in the outgoing smtp server?

Gondola
Community Star

A weak password will get rejected and your mailbox is liable to suspension.

Enter something similar to your password at howsecureismypassword. A 6 character password is likely to be cracked by a computer in less than a second.

TheHornedOne
Insightful One

@cglover2 wrote:

But the password has been the same for ages! Would it not work if I just used the same information in the outgoing smtp server?

The MacBook Air & MacBook Pro M1 computers perform at 11 TRILLION operations per second, which means they can tell you what your password is, even before you enter it @cglover2, so from a security angle, it doesn't much matter what you come up with♠️

~R.

cglover2
Whizz Kid

Just an update, out of interest I filled out the username and password in the 'optional fields and after a few seconds the smtp server account field reverted to 'None'.

Also I have the Tiscali email address on my iPhone (but as imap) with the same 6 character password and it works fine!

Also @TheHornedOne are you saying it doesn't matter if I keep the 6 character password? Not too sure what you are telling me!

TheHornedOne
Insightful One

@cglover2 wrote:

Also @TheHornedOne are you saying it doesn't matter if I keep the 6 character password? Not too sure what you are telling me!

Just reflecting on why the emailing process has to be such a battle cglover, it really shouldn't be this way!

~R.

cglover2
Whizz Kid

@TheHornedOne totally agree, also disappointed that I haven't received any further comments/help/suggestions!

OCE_Ady

Hi cglover2, Gondola has advised you well. Did you follow Gondola's advice? 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

cglover2
Whizz Kid

Hi Ady,

Honest answer is no. Gondola just suggested changing my password to more characters but as I said in a follow on post, my password has been the same for ages and is used on my iPhone and iPad without any issues.  If it was a password issue wouldn't the system have told me? Also the same password is used on the pop server and I can receive e-mails without any problems, it is just outgoing that doesn't happen!

So can you confirm that a six character password would have this effect and when did it change without any warning (as I said previously worked ok until recently, but the @Ukgateway one hasn't for ages!).

Look forward to your comments.

OCE_Ady

6 character passwords don't meet the current minimum requirements for a secure passwords. I believe Gondola was referring specifically to Apple devices and yeah it can cause the problems. 

Ady