cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Could not connect to "mail.onetel.com" Cause: connection refused (10061) since 2 March 2018.

32 REPLIES 32
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi, my email client "Eudora V7" which has for >10yrs worked very well, suddenly has problems retrieving my  *@onetel.com emails. Despite talktalk online instructions to use "pop.onetel.com" server, my client has always used "mail.onetel.com" server to connect using pop3.

I tried changing this setting but got the same result, so changed back.

During the week from 2-9th March I also had problems with the alternative "Horde" logon which now seems to work OK but I would dearly like my own client to be back up and running.

I noticed that

Jaynehr (Onetel mailzone ‘Mail server closed connection unexpectedly ‘) .

Managed to get her problem solved fairly quickly by " Community Team" and was hoping for similar treatment if possible, since problem occurred with onetel and on the same day.

Many Thanks !

konundrums
Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @konundrums

First a note:

Moderator Note: konundrums - to see your post, please verify your Community Membership by clicking on the verification link in the Community notification email.

The error message 10061 is the refusal of the mail server to connect to your email client.  This is because the client settings are incorrect.  Username / password / server name / ports - you need to make sure all are correct.  

First, the onetel mail server including the has recently been down so that's slightly confused the issue.  Also confusing the issue is mixing up the email client settings. You need to first stick to either IMAP or POP3 settings.  You say the client has always used mail.onetel.com so I conclude that you've been using IMAP settings. Let's stick to the IMAP settings.

Here are the IMAP settings for Onetel: 

Onetel Account Type  IMAP (recommended)
Login / Username username@onetel.com
Incoming mail server mail.onetel.com
Incoming Port 143
Outgoing mail server smtp.onetel.com
Outgoing Port 25
Outgoing SSL No
Outgoing Authentication No

If these settings do not result in a connection then the password has been changed. The system will have changed the password if it was weak or if suspicious activity has been detected.

You'll need to verify your ownership of the email account. Just double check that you've added to your Community Profile, Personal Information (Click here) all of the following in the Private Notes area at the bottom of the page:

Email address affected.

Your Full Name.

Date of Birth.

Phone number linked to the email address when first registered.

Full postal address linked to the email address when first registered.

Include your mobile contact number and times to call - daytimes when you'll be there in person to receive the password and speak to the email team (for your security they won't leave a message with the password and there's no number to call them). Don't forget to save changes.

The personal information is essential to verify the details recorded for the owner of the email address.

This topic has been escalated for the attention of the OCE's (TalkTalk Community support team) and the email expert will respond to you right here to help you with account or password recovery.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Gondola,

Many thanks for rapid reply and the tip to verify my email address which I have now done using the Hord logon system.

With regard to my email client Eudora7.

"The error message 10061 is the refusal of the mail server to connect to your email client. "

I agree with this entirely.

However:

"This is because the client settings are incorrect.  Username / password / server name / ports - you need to make sure all are correct.  "

Strangely these settings have not been altered for many years and have always worked.

Further more, in Eudora7 I can see no way of stipulating which ports should be used.

I can also confirm that in the "Tools" - "Options"-"Incoming mail" tab "Server Configuration" box POP3 has always been ticked NOT IMAP.

I can not claim to understand the ins and outs of this configuration but what I do know is that until recently it has always worked OK so I am somewhat at a loss as to why these same settings have suddenly stopped working, and why you assume from the server settings that I have been using IMAP rather than POP3 to download my emails.

Is it possible that my client program has gained access to the onetel mail server for many years DESPITE the incorrect settings?

Many thanks for escalating this issue to the email expert !

Cheers !

konundrums
Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @konundrums

I assumed you'd used IMAP settings in Eudora7 because you'd set it up to use the IMAP server.

Here are the POP3 settings for Onetel: 

Onetel Account Type  POP3
Login / Username username@onetel.com
Incoming mail server pop.onetel.com
Incoming Port 110
Outgoing mail server smtp.onetel.com
Outgoing Port 25
Outgoing SSL No
Outgoing Authentication No

The selection of ports is a default setting in Eudora 7 or achieved with a separate configuration file, other than a tickbox for the use of port 587 which is not used by the Onetel servers.

Onetel mail does not offer secure mail. It and Eudora 7 are rather outdated legacy systems. My recommendation would be to 'retire' both.

But as you've logged in to the Onetel email via Horde then your email and password are working. So, either there are still ongoing issues with the onetel server or the above settings will work for POP3 email.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi konundrums, has Gondola got you sorted on this? If not please let us know. 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi OCE_Ady,

Fraid not, I have tried all his helpful suggestions except "retiring" my email client....all to no avail unfortunately.

It would seem obvious (as Gondola has pointed out already) that this is NOT a password issue, unless something has gone seriously wrong with the server.

Is he correct in assuming that server mail.onetel.com ONLY recognises IMAP configurations?

If so why has my POP3 config worked so well for the last ten years ?

Many thanks for any help you can provide

Cheers

konundrums
Highlighted
First Timer

I'm also having this issue.

My account is fairly legacy (15 years) and I've been using Gmail to collect emails for years without any issues.

Since the 2nd March, Gmail has been complaining the server isn't responding.

Pings to mail.onetel.com and pop.onetel.com resolve to the same IP (62.24.128.151) but timeout. Considering smtp.onetel.com responds to pings, am I correct in assuming the pop server is still down ?

I can access the account fine through mailzone. 

I wouldn't mind decommissioning the account at this stage, considering there doesn't seem to be any way to change the password, but how does one do that ?

I would know the address the account was registered to, but would have no idea the phone number at this stage.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter
New info ... I have checked my client log and it seems that Eudora after multiple attempts, managed to connect for about 55seconds on the 8th March.
konundrums
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi bublehead,

Many thanks for chipping in on this thread!

I like the "fairly legacy" description.

I think your observation

"Pings to mail.onetel.com and pop.onetel.com resolve to the same IP (62.24.128.151) but timeout."

might go someway to explain why my POP3 settings always worked on what is supposedly only an IMAP server.

Perhaps error 10061 includes a timeout possibility as "dead silence"  can easily be construed as being  "a refusal to connect".

Let us hope that perhaps other users can also shed more light on what is going on with the onetel servers !

Cheers

konundrums
Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @konundrums

It's the same server so of course the IP address is the same.

But passing POP3 commands to the IMAP server port or vice versa is not going to give predictable results.  I see that Service Status is still reporting some issues for some customers so probably best to await the all-clear before continuing to troubleshoot this.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Gondola,

Seems you know how this whole setup works, so I will follow your advice and wait.

Where did you see that the

"Service Status is still reporting some issues for some customers"

I haven't had time to explore the entire web site so that pointer would be very useful.

Many thanks for taking the time to help out.

Cheers

konundrums
Highlighted
Community Star

Hi konundrums

The service status dashboard is here: Service Status. The link is also on the Community grey header bar, In the Yellow Browse tab under the Help with your Service link and on the Help page. Just click on the email icon and if that's amber or red a pop-up page will appear giving details. 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Gondola,

Many thanks for the pointer ....I am a bit slow on the uptake but I have got that now.

"Latest Update, 18:30 12th March

A number of customers have had service restored and we're continuing to focus on restoring service for the remaining affected customers.  We'd like to apologise for any inconvenience caused during this time."

.... I will wait a while, to see if this turns green !

Hey bublehead ....are you also one of the "remaining affected customers" ?

Cheers

konundrums
Highlighted

Hi konundrums, I've been told that the incident is going to be closed. The admins discovered that all the current complainants are overseas when having problems accessing their emails. Are you overseas at the moment? If not and you still can't access mail using Mailzone then we'll have to get your password reset. 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi OCE_Ady,

If by  "Are you overseas at the moment?" you mean outside the UK .....

..answer is

Yes I am traveling in Europe...

Didn't think to mention this before ....sorry !

I am a bit concerned that you say "I've been told that the incident is going to be closed" !

Does this mean the problem will continue until I return to UK?

Cheers

konundrums
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi everyone,

Having followed Gondolas helpful link I have found the following !

"Are you currently outside the UK? I'm told that if you are you'll only be able to access Onetel mail using Mailzone from now on."

This is not good news either for me or for many others I suspect.Quiet_face

Onetel is not a FREE service and quite frankly since Talktalk took over it has been a constant source of hassles. Unless this is a temporary thing it is possible that I will have to look for a new service. This will be a tremendous upheaval for me....all my business emails are routed through onetel.

Cheers

konundrums
Highlighted

Yes is the short answer. It seems we no longer support mail clients access to Onetel from outside the UK. You can still access your mail through Mailzone wherever you are. 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi all,

THIS IS BAD NEWS scream_with_fear_face

Email service costs the same ...... but facilities are being reduced.

No automated migratory solutions are being suggested.   Talktalk is NOT being very HONEST

Cheers

konundrums
Highlighted

We don't charge for any of our mail services. In fact most current Onetel users aren't customers of TalkTalk for any paid for product. I think I've been very honest with you. I asked the questions and got you the answers and posted them I'm not sure how much more I can do in terms of keep you informed, but feel free to ask if you have more questions. 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi OCE_Ady,

Please don't get me wrong.

I am extremely grateful for the info you have supplied, and even more so for the posts by Gondola, who seems to have a whole bunch of ideas all worth trying IMHO.

However:

Although I do not wish to challenge your beliefs and loyalty to your employers,

@ "We don't charge for any of our mail services."

01/03/2018TALKTALK ONETELDD £1.02

The above is copied directly from my bank statement, so I am afraid that on this particular occasion you are sadly mistaken.

This has been charged by Direct Debit every MONTH since I stopped being a Talktalk customer > 10 yrs ago, but carried on using my  *@onetel.com email account. I receive no other service whatsoever from Talktalk.The amount might seem small until you add a few thousand other users it then adds up to tens of thousands£ a year. Which is quite a nice automated cash cow.Wink

The possibility of trying to communicate with Talktalk concerning this issue via a premium rate phone number scream_with_fear_face (yet another automated cash cow ) does NOT appeal to me at all.

As such this forum is my only resort.

So once again many thanks for explaining that:

EMAIL CLIENTS WILL NO LONGER WORK WITH ONETEL FROM OUTSIDE THE UK.

This info is CRITICAL for many traveling onetel customers who HAVE been PAYING for a supposedly stable EMAIL service in a vain attempt to maintain their privacy and avoid having their personal details passed on for "commercial exploitation".

Cheers

konundrums