Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Unable to receive or send mail to South Africa

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
First Timer

I have been trying to send mails to a friend in South Africa, but they never arrive. I don't get an undelivered message, it looks like they have been sent ok. He tried sending mails to me and has the same problem, ie i never receive them. All other mail is ok. Can anyone explain this?

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @jackiem1959 

What's your email domain? (the bit after the @ in your email address).

How are you sending messages? TalkTalk Mail (webmail) or using an email client like Outlook / Apple Mail / Thunderbird?

Check for messages in your Spam or Junk folder as a fail of authentication could mean they end up being automatically delivered there.

Mail messages can fail for a number of reasons including wrong address, sending IP address on a blacklist, rate limiting by the receiving mail service, non authentication by the sending mail service, spam blocking by the receiving mail service or recipient's mailbox...and more.  Usually there is a bounceback error message to the sender to indicate why a fail happened.

See if you can establish contact via another mail service like Gmail.

Gondola - Halloween ghoul guide

To avoid my red eyes . . . If I spooked a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
First Timer

It's talktalk webmail for me telkomsa the other end. There is nothing in either of our spam folders and both of us are receiving other mails. I will try sending from another account and see if that gets through.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @jackiem1959 

Let us know what happens.  If either of you receive error messages upon sending mail messages let us know what the full error message is.

Just in case it helps your friend in SA, there is a very similar Community to get help with email issues. Their email client setup guides seem quite dated and don't appear to recommend setting up secure connections for sending messages. 

Telcomsa.net webmail portal.

Gondola - Halloween ghoul guide

To avoid my red eyes . . . If I spooked a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi jackiem1959, have you checked your mail filters to see if there's anything in there that might be blocking their mail. You can disable the filters for a few days to test if there's nothing specifically with your friends mail address.

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
First Timer

Still no resolution on this. I tried sending from two other accounts, a gmail account and my work outlook account. The gmail got through to SA, but I never received the reply that was sent back to it. This is the only email account that is giving me problems, so it must be something to do with the telkomsa set up.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi jackiem1959,

Thanks for the update, has your friend queried this with telkomsa?

Chris