Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Unable to send using a personal domain

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Chatterbox

Since the recent issues with smtp-auth.talktalkbusiness2.net I can no longer send emails using my personal domain name as the From field - something I have been doing ever since I first had an F2S account. Sending using the @f2s.com address works but using the email address that I have used for the past 15 years gets me a "Sorry, you are not allowed to send from that domain (#5.7.1)" error message. Clearly when the issue was fixed they haven'r re-enabled this feature.

I did mention this at the end of the existing thread but I guess it should be a separate issue - hence this post.

I've tried sending a mail to customerservices@talktalkbusiness.net but I'm not confident that that's going to achieve too much!

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @PhilRB 

You'll need to persevere with TalkTalk Business Support as they're the only ones able to authorise any changes for you.

They'll need to request the hosting company to set the f2s SMTP server as an authorised sender for your personal domain email.

In the meantime, you may send using the f2s email address and change the 'friendly name' to you@personaldomain.co.uk to make it look like it's being sent from your personal domain email address.  Just a suggestion.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Chatterbox
Thing is I/They never had to do anything before - it just worked. Is it not just a setting to allow relaying or something like that?
Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Phil

I don't know about the legacy arrangements for f2s email addresses. But the f2s server does need to be set to allow you to use it to relay your personal domain emails.

It's to avoid a Sender Policy Framework (SPF) issue (e.g. silent rejection of the incoming email) where the recipient email address detects that the sender does not designate f2s as a permitted sender for the email.

Highlighted
Chatterbox

After a second email to customer services, I now have a case number - so I'll see what happens!

Cheers,

Phil

Highlighted
First Timer

Hi Phil,

I have exactly the same issue as you. I also have been a customer for 15 years or so and I've used various personal domains for my email addresses from day 1. I belong to a small consultancy made up of a number of individuals spread around the country. We have a domain name for the consultancy and we all want to send and receive emails from and to that domain. It's particularly important that our customers see us all as under our common domain name. Consequently it's no use to any of us to have to use the email addresses issued to us by our many and various email suppliers.

I've just had a long call to 0800 083 3003 and been told that there is nothing that can be done about it!

I can't function without using my personal domain name so I've set up an email account with yahoo instead. This allows me to setup my personal email address as an alternative to my "official" yahoo address; to prevent spoofing it sends an email containing an activation key to the alternative address and only completes the registration of that alternative address on entry of the activation key.

Having done that, I can choose the alternative address as the default sending address in yahoo webmail. Better still, I can set up my email client just like I used to for f2s before the recent change and send emails from my personal domain through the yahoo SMTP server; the recipient sees my personal domain in both the From and Reply-to fields, so it works just fine.

It would be better not to have to do this but, failing any satisfactory response from talktalkbusiness, it's a way forward.

Regards,
Paul

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Paul

What you've done is exactly what I described previously to Phil.

In your case you've registered your personal domain with Yahoo and Yahoo have updated the SPF record that designates your domain as permitting sending by the Yahoo servers. That way the personal domain email doesn't get SPF failures and rejections by the recipient mailboxes. 

Community supports home email users and on the TalkTalk Mail platform there's no ability to register personal domains for sending via the TalkTalk servers. 

Just out of interest, was your personal domain set up by TalkTalk Business designating the use of f2s servers as permitted senders?  And have TTB indicated why that's changed?

Highlighted
Chatterbox

I ended up setting up a hosted email service with ecohosting.co.uk. What annoys me with talk talk is they did this with no notice - which for something labelled business is unforgivable. As my email is now totally separate from talk talk, I will now be looking around for a different ISP!

Highlighted
First Timer

Hi Gondola,

Sorry for tardy reponse; I never got an email to inform me that someone had replied, and I only checked just now to see if there was any news.

I've never set anything up at all with TTB in connection with email addresses using my personal domain. It's something I've always just been able to do ever since I was a f2s customer (and before that, actually). Nothing needed to be changed after f2s became part of TTB until now. In other words the TTB mail server has always accepted emails from my personal domain without anything being set up for this by TTB, until this February.

Telephone support just told me what we already know - that the change is to prevent spoofing, but they couldn't tell me why the change has been implemented now without any publicity and without any work around. They repeated that nothing could be done about it and they closed my case.

To add insult to injury, whilst browsing the TTB main website, I noticed that my broadband deal was priced a lot less than I have been paying. It turns out that my contract ended and reverted to a more expensive price but I wasn't informed because "II had opted not to receive marketing calls". Pretty sharp practice.

My Yahoo email solution is now permanent and I shall be choosing an alternative ISP that treats its long-standing customers better.

Paul

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi Paul

Thanks for taking the time to return and let us know the reason for personal domain names failing to be accepted by the TTB servers. At least we'll have an answer for anyone else in the same situation. 

As for the TalkTalk advisory email that you ought to get during the 90 days prior to the end of the contract. I believe we should all receive this email as it's not marketing preferences driven but Ofcom driven. 

The Loyalty team are the people to ask for either via Messenger, LiveChat or 'phone.