Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Virgin.net email address closed down unexpectedly

ANSWERED
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
First Timer

My mum has had a Virgin.net email address for 20 years. Two days ago she could not access her account anymore. After speaking with Virgin at length via phone and chat, they told us this:

You see, to be able to use Virgin Media's email service a customer must have an active internet account with Virgin Media. The email address you're referring to the virgin.net service was a joint venture between the Virgin Group and NTL/Telewest. To keep a dial up account and its associated email addresses active it was necessary to dial in to the service at least once every 90 days.This service closed in 2013. Any email access should have been lost naturally once the dial up service closed. Virgin Media sold this service to Talk Talk in 2015. All users were advised at time of transfer that their email access would cease 12 months after the transfer. Those 12 months expired in the month of June 2016. Sadly, some email accounts have remained open long after the cut off dates and they are termed as "orphan accounts."  The system often missed the deletion of some accounts, however, Virgin Media systems are finding and removing all the accounts not connected to an active customer anymore. Even if you had a Virgin Media account or if you were a Virgin Media customer, we would still be unable to help you in this case, since we've sold the service to Talk Talk.

So they said you (talk Talk) have now deleted the account without any warning. My mum has used this account for 20 years and was using it up until a couple of days ago. Thousands of emails, messages, and most importantly contact details and address book have been lost. We do not want to continue to use virgin.net, but the address book and messages would be very helpful.

Can you please help find a way for my mum to get back her emails and address book?
Highlighted
Community Star
Solution

Hi @Tomnew_ 

I don't think your mum will be able to recover the deleted email account unless Virgin Media will recover it for her. TalkTalk had no control over Virgin Media email accounts.

The information that you've been given by Virgin Media about TalkTalk deleting the virgin.net email account is factually incorrect. A blatant lie.  Everything else they said is true.

Your mum's email account is known by Virgin Media as an 'orphaned account'. She should have received emails from Virgin about the planned deletion of her email account after 12 months and maybe recent emails advising of impending deletion.

Virgin Media retained total control of the virgin.net email account when broadband customers were moved to TalkTalk.  Normally Virgin Media will delete an email account, including its messages and contacts list, 90 days after a customer leaves them. However, in the case of customers transferred to TalkTalk they allowed a special concession of 12 months before the email account should have been flagged for deletion in 2016. In some cases that deletion didn't happen but Virgin Media are now catching up on 'orphaned accounts' that they should have deleted 3 years ago and they are now deleting those accounts. This is entirely a Virgin Media thing as TalkTalk didn't inherit the email accounts of ex Virgin customers.

There are several posts on the Virgin Media Community about this email deletion issue and this is one. Also see the post about Orphaned accounts. 

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Tomnew_, Gondola has given exactly the right advice and pointed you in the right direction. Please let us know how your mum gets on with Virgin. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
First Timer

Hello - I have had the same problem as your mum - TalkTalk tell me to speak to virgin, but virgin tell me to speak to talktalk

who is responsible for closing the account and can it be reopened?

have you had any success?

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @kim007 

See post 2 in this thread.  I've explained that Virgin Media are responsible for the management of virgin.net mail accounts. Virgin Media policy was to allow former broadband customers that were inherited by TalkTalk to keep their mail accounts for 12 months before deleting those mail accounts.

Some mail accounts remained active beyond the 12 months but Virgin Media are now deleting those mail accounts. There's nothing that TalkTalk can do as it's entirely a Virgin Media matter.

A TalkTalk broadband customer can create up to 5 talktalk.net mailboxes in the broadband MyAccount and the advice article Managing your email in My Account explains how to create and manage those mailboxes.

Unfortunately the TalkTalk MyAccount cannot recreate a virgin.net mailbox as those are entirely under the control of Virgin Media.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer