cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Can only see one line of emails using chrome

davegildo
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 21 of 21

Following the latest upgrade to webmail  I can only see one line of emails on chrome. I have to scroll down to see each one. I can't see them because of the large space above the emails and the massive advertising banner at the bottom. It is extremely difficult and time consuming and easy to miss emails as I cant see anything below the first line. How can this be resolved please.

20 REPLIES 20

Message 1 of 21

Hi davegildo

Thank you for letting me know about using Firefox as an alternative browser. I just tried it and for me it shows 4 emails, which is an improvement. Going forward, I may check my emails by switching from laptop to tablet where I can view them in portrait rather than landscape. It's not an ideal option, but the best one I currently have and shows 15 emails at a time. Good luck in finding the perfect solution, if there is one 😀.

Message 2 of 21

Hi @davegildo 

Yes, thanks for the feedback as it is very useful.

Don't worry about the "your browser is not supported" message. That message is from Open Xchange the operator of the TalkTalk Mail platform. On what is essentially a mobile device the supported browser is Chrome because that is the default browser that Open Xchange use to test the code and any changes made to the code.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Message 3 of 21

HI not making any progress in chrome on my chromebook but I have downloaded firefox and in firefox I can see 6 lines of emails which is much better even though when logging in to mail again there was a message saying mail is not compatable with this version.

Perhaps this will help others with chrome who are struggling.

Thank you

David

Message 4 of 21

The user interface and display of a 'standard desktop' is something else. Tablets, phones and Chromebook display icons for apps.

The browser would normally have a mobile site mode and a desktop site mode.  Software developers will alter the display to suit both the mobile display mode and the desktop display mode.

I cannot see what you see or how you have Chrome set up nor do I have a Chromebook to test with.

What I suggest is to go to PlayStore and download the Firefox browser that is supported on Chromebooks. Look to see if there is any difference in the display for TalkTalk Mail and see in the settings if that will switch to Desktop site mode.

Message 5 of 21

I have just discovered from google the following:

Most laptops have a desktop where you can store shortcuts, files, and programs. Chromebooks, however, don't have a traditional desktop;

This maybe a stupid statement, but I'm guessing I could already be in desktop mode, as I am using the device as a laptop.

Many thanks for trying to help.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 21

The Chrome triple vertical dots menu icon would normally have a Desktop site tick box.

If not then navigate to the TalkTalk Mail page using the Chrome browser and then:

• Select the Chrome browser triple vertical dots menu icon top right
  • Select the Settings cog icon
  • Select Site settings and scroll down to Desktop site and toggle the switch to ON (right)

0 Likes

Message 7 of 21

Hi Gondola

Yes, you are right, my laptop does also function as a tablet, but I never use it in tablet form, always as a laptop. My emails are set on "list" and don't show preview text, as they always have been. I am not very tech savvy and have clicked the triple dots menu icon top right, but there is no "desktop settings" that I can see. Would it come under something else?

0 Likes

Message 8 of 21

OK, so is this device a multifunction Chromebook that operates as a tablet and laptop?

Others have achieved better results in landscape format by two things. Setting the TalkTalk Mail list of emails to not show the preview text and setting the Chrome browser to desktop settings via the Chrome triple dots menu icon top right.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 21

Hi Gondola, I am using a Chrome lap top. Thank you for your suggestion, which I have tried, and turning the screen sideways did actually increase the viewing to around 12 emails. This does help, but is not ideal, and I still find it frustrating not being able to view my messages as I used to before the Talktalk email update. Thanks again for taking the time to help, which is much appreciated.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 21

Are you viewing on a tablet device and have you tried holding the tablet in portrait style i.e. longest edge to the side?

Message 11 of 21

No I have tried everything and I cant find a way to reduce the large gap above the two emails I can see which would allow me to see more instead of just a waste of space. It is very frustrating.

0 Likes

Melan4
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 21

I have the same problem. It's so frustrating. Did you resolve the issue?

Message 13 of 21

Hi davegildo, I've added you to the list of those posting on here who are affected. I'll provide more information as I have it. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 14 of 21

Hello, I can still only see 2 lines of emails.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 21
Thank you I have done that but nothing has changed except I had to sign in to mail again.

0 Likes

Message 16 of 21

Hello,

How are you getting on?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 17 of 21

Thanks for the screenshots.

I can see that the vertical space for the TalkTalk Mail window is restricted so you're not seeing as much as you should do. Also, for some reason the Folder icons for the Inbox sub folders are double line spaced so taking up more space vertically than they should.

I recommend that you carry out a Chrome browser reset.

Enter in the Chrome Address bar chrome://settings/resetProfileSettings

and select the blue button Reset settings.

That will fix the display issue.

Message 18 of 21

sorry the screenshot didn't appear to work, trying again.

Screenshot 2024-01-18 19.39.57.png
0 Likes

Message 19 of 21

I have been through all of the settings and been able to see 2 lines by getting rid of the preview text.

Here is a screenshot of how it looks now.

Screenshot 2024-01-18 19.39.57.png
0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 20 of 21

Please take a screenshot so we can see what you see. Upload here using the picture icon above this Reply area.

There are some things to do to workaround the issue but we need to start with where you are currently.

0 Likes