email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changed password and lost all emails.

FiMcM
Popular Poster
Message 25 of 25

Good morning, 

I changed my email account password yesterday and can no longer access anything in my inbox that I had before the change. My sent emails are still there, but I'd really like to get these emails back. Can anyone help? 

Many thanks!
Fiona

0 Likes
24 REPLIES 24

Message 1 of 25

Thanks Fi, I've passed that over for you. Hopefully, you won't have long to wait. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 25

That's great, thank you for coming back to me so quickly. I don't have either of those in place. 

Thanks!
Fi

0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 3 of 25

They've come back already and asked if you can confirm that you have no filters and no autoforwards in place that might have caused this. They asked others, but I've already answered those. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 25

Hi, 

That's fantastic, much appreciated!

Thanks, 

Fi

0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 5 of 25

Thanks for confirming that, I've raised the fault ticket for you. Unfortunately, we don't have a guaranteed fix time for these so I'd suggest chasing us on Wednesday if you've not heard back before that. 

0 Likes

Message 6 of 25

Hi, 

I am indeed! Thanks, 

Fi

0 Likes

Message 7 of 25

And you are using the new webmail interface https://apps.talktalk.co.uk/appsuite/ aren't you? The reason I ask is that some customers are still using old shortcuts and it means you only see mail that was there before you were migrated onto the new platform. 

0 Likes

Message 8 of 25

Hi, 

Nothing to apologise for, thanks for following up on it! I changed my password and lost all emails prior to that in the inbox [when accessing through webmail]. Anything stored in a folder was okay, but I lost everything in the main inbox - I'm wondering if it can be restored? As my Kindle only holds a limited number, I've lost them from there, too. I'm somewhat anxious it will happen again, I'm trying to keep tabs on what's in the inbox. 

Thanks!

Fi

0 Likes

Message 9 of 25

Thanks Fi, so you changed your email password and now when you login to webmail there's no mail showing in the inbox? Sorry to be asking these questions, but I need to be clear in the fault ticket.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 25

Hi, 

I use the Kindle email app, which is set to never delete from server and sync for one month. If I access my account anywhere else, it's always through webmail - typically on my laptop. The account isn't synced to my phone, Outlook, or any other devices. 

Thanks!
Fi

0 Likes

Message 11 of 25

Hi Fi, if you don't use webmail on your Kindle then it's likely that, that is the device that's pulled all the mail from the server. Do you use a mail app on the kindle or webmail in a browser like you do on the laptop?

0 Likes

Message 12 of 25

Hi, 

Thank you. I'm not sure where to find this - I use Talktalk webmail on my laptop, I don't have this account linked to Outlook, and the only device it's synced to is my Kindle. I cannot see anywhere that will let me look at the settings for the account. Should I unsync the Kindle? I'm sorry if I seem a little dim, but I don't know how to solve this, and I would really like to fix it if possible. 

Thank you!
Fi

0 Likes

Message 13 of 25

No Fiona, those details from TalkTalk Mail show you the information you need to set up your email client or email app like that on your Kindle but using the TalkTalk recommended IMAP account settings.

What Ady is saying is that the email admins will look at your email account logs.  If they find any device has connected to the email Inbox using POP3 protocol and has downloaded and deleted emails they'll simply confirm that the 'lost' emails were downloaded to that device.

So Ady just needs confirmation from you that you have not had any device connecting using POP3 protocol that has downloaded the 'lost' emails.  You've not yet confirmed what email setup you're using with the laptop.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Message 14 of 25

Hi, 

I think I've found it - do these details show the information you need? 

settings.jpg

Many thanks, 
Fi

0 Likes

Message 15 of 25

Hi, 

Thanks for getting back to me - I'm really struggling to follow the help you're trying to give me, I'm sorry. I can't identify where in the webmail settings I can find how my email is set up. I haven't changed anything aside from the password. All I can find are the basic settings. Can you please tell me where I can find the advanced settings? 

Many thanks, 
Fi

0 Likes

Message 16 of 25

Hi Fi, I need you to confirm your settings before I raise a ticket. The only team who can see what's happening with a mail account on the new platform is the small team of admins. If they see devices collecting mail using POP3 they'll just reject the ticket. 

0 Likes

Message 17 of 25

Hi Fiona

A password change doesn't delete emails from the mailbox.  A POP3 email client on default settings will download and delete emails from the Inbox leaving the emails just on the device. 

But you've indicated your Kindle, although on the suspected POP3 setup, being set to never delete.  Is your laptop also running an email client on POP3 settings?  If so, the emails could be on the laptop. Or are you just using the laptop with TalkTalk Webmail and TalkTalk MyAccount for the password change? 

A TalkTalk OCE will pick up this topic and raise a fault ticket to have the mailbox checked out.  It's possible that the mailbox has got a fault so worth a check if you're sure no devices have downloaded the emails.

In the meantime, please update your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) to include your name, current address and contact 'phone numbers and then scroll down and add the email address to Private notes and then Save changes.

0 Likes

Message 18 of 25

Hi, 

Thank you for this, I really appreciate it. I'm still confused though - it seems that the Kindle isn't the issue. The only thing I changed was my password, which I did on my laptop via the talktalk website, and when I access my email through TalkTalk webmail every email prior to the password change is deleted. They aren't in my trash, they're just gone! Are they recoverable, or should I give this up? 

Thanks!
Fi

0 Likes

Message 19 of 25

Hi Fiona

I've removed the Kindle image from your post because it was revealing your email address. You may wish to delete the image from your Community profile or let me know and I'll make it unviewable.  I've reposted here but obscured the email address.

Kindle Email.jpg

The answer is that the Kindle has been set up as a POP3 account using unencrypted email over an insecure connection. 

However, the Kindle is being shown here as being set up to never delete email from the server.  When set up like that the Kindle will not delete after a threshold time as previously indicated and will simply download emails to the Kindle but leave all emails on the server. You'll need to sign in to TalkTalk Mail to delete emails.  Or there's the option of deleting emails when deleted from the Kindle Inbox.

As a minimum, I do suggest you change the settings to use port 995 incoming with Use secure connection ticked - Security type SSL/TLS. Tap Next and for the outgoing SMTP server the port is 587 with Security type as STARTTLS. Also verify the selection of “Require Sign-In“ using your full email address and email password.

The email settings are here: Email settings - IMAP or POP3 with the current POP3 account use the POP3 column as a reminder of the settings for talktalk.net email.

Message 20 of 25

Email settings.JPGHi Gondola, 

Thanks for getting back to me, really appreciate it! I'm possibly being obtuse, apologies if that's the case, but I can't find advanced settings, only basic? I've attached an image from Talktalk webmail and one of the settings on my Kindle. If you can let me know where to locate the advanced settings through webmail I'll send you this - I've been through everywhere I can think of. I made no changes other than the password, and the loss of emails occurred at that time. 

Thanks!
Fiona

0 Likes