email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difficulty Configuring Mobile Device to Read TalkTalk Email - Please Help!

JRT26_8
First Timer
Message 5 of 5

Dear Community,

I have used the Talktalk portal’s email facilities for many years. I have also used IMAP to read Talktalk email on a range of mobile devices (iPad, mobile phone, etc). However in March 2020, access to email on all my mobile devices stopped working. I did not make any changes to my setup before just this, the ability to receive email on all mobile devices failed spontaneously on 5 March 2020. However, I can still read my email via the Talktalk portal.

I should note that I’m not a novice at this kind of thing, I have successfully set-up email accounts for other servers using iPads and mobile phone in the past. However, I can’t get my Talktalk email account to work on any mobile device. My attempts to set up reading Talktalk email on my mobile devices (using the configuration below), result in ‘incorrect username or password’ messages (and occasionally ‘server not found’). I’m stumped and I would really appreciate some help.

I wonder if anyone can provide the correct steps to setup Talktalk email accounts on mobile devices. Specifically, is this correct:

1. Account type (iOS): other
  2. Name: <my real name>
  3. Email: <my talktalk email address xyz@talktalk.net>
  4. Hostname: mail.talktalk.net
  5. Password: <the password I use to access the email portal>
  6. Port 993 (inbound), 153 (outbound)
  7. SSL enabled

Is the password to use in step 4 the same as the one I use to login to the Talktalk portal? If not, how do I set-up this IMAP password?

Thank you so much,

Janice

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4

Message 1 of 5

Hi JRT26_8 

So long as the talktalk.net email address is listed in the current MyAccount for your Fibre35 service then you can access an active mailbox via webmail and email apps. 

The table I showed gives the settings to use in a mobile email app. When setting up email it's best to connect the 'phone to your home wi-fi so that you can check the Internet is working and by doing so the email setup can be tested live.

Tell me what mobile 'phone you use and what email app you wish to use and I'll try and provide tailored guidance. Take screenshots of the settings and upload here after obscuring the first part of the email address. I'll then see what you see and comment on any changes needed. Let me know of error messages at any part of the setup.

Gmail, BlueMail and Apple email apps usually set up just by entering the email address and password. You may not need manual settings for the incoming or outgoing servers. The password is the same as for webmail access but must comply with current security requirements. If the password is weak then it's going to need upgrading for reliable access via email apps and webmail. 

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

Message 2 of 5

Hello Gondola,

Thank you so much for your informative reply. I am really grateful that you took the time to help me.

In answer to you questions, I am a Fibre 35 plus TV + Mobile customer on the TalkTalk network.

When I login to MyAccount and go to the Manage TalkTalk Mail page I can see my mailbox (xyz @ TalkTalk.net) listed in My Mailboxes - is that sufficient to permit access by mobile devices?

My confusion is, given this, how do I configure the IMAP/POP details for this mailbox, I am unable to find any settings or configuration menu that might allow me to do this. If you could give me a few pointers in this direction I would be really grateful.

Thank you so much.

Best Regards, J.

0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 3 of 5

Hi JRT26_8, Gondola's advice as always is great. Please let us know how you get on. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Gondola
Community Star
Message 4 of 5

Hi Janice

Heads up that orphan email addresses, that's TalkTalk Mail addresses not added to an active TalkTalk Consumer customer MyAccount, are being limited to Internet browser webmail access and flagged for deletion if no action is taken*. TalkTalk email notifications are being sent.

Are you a TalkTalk Consumer home broadband or MailPlus, mail only, subscriber customer and if so is the TalkTalk Mail email address added to your customer MyAccount?  Let us know your customer status and if you're taking a full-fibre home broadband service from TalkTalk. Manage TalkTalk Mail options are not yet included in the full-fibre MyAccount management. 

Email not showing in My Account

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your email address and password, select Sign in. If you know the current email password you'll get signed in via this webmail access.

* The action to take to restore email access on supported devices is:

• Add the email address to an active TalkTalk Consumer customer MyAccount
  • If not a customer, rejoin TalkTalk for home broadband or subscribe to  TalkTalk MailPlus

About TalkTalk MailPlus

When you have your TalkTalk email address added to a customer MyAccount, one way or another then the email settings you need are here:

On updating the email software incoming, outgoing and some advanced server settings, you'll possibly be asked to accept a new certificate (yes, accept) and to enter the email password so have the current password ready. Tick to save the password before entering it.

Supported* email client and app settings are:

Account Type  IMAP (recommended) or POP3
Username Full email address
Password Email password
Incoming mail server mail.talktalk.net
Incoming Port (IMAP / POP3) 993 / 995
Incoming Connection Security SSL/TLS (Use SSL on for mobile)
Outgoing mail server smtp.talktalk.net
Outgoing Port 587
Outgoing Connection Security STARTTLS (Use SSL on for mobile)
Outgoing Authentication Required Yes
Authentication Method Normal Password

Apple/Mac Mail Connection Security is use TLS/SSL

It's also important to make sure the email address is added to a TalkTalk Consumer customer MyAccount to avoid restriction to webmail only access and possible deletion. 

Email not showing in My Account

TalkTalk Mail Plus is the mail only subscription service for TalkTalk Mail users in the UK that are not home broadband customers.

* Email clients, apps and devices that do not support secure mail using a minimum of TLS1.2 connection security are not supported.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution