cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Email Hacked

hmead96
Participant
Private Message
Message 53 of 53

Hello! My email address h******ad@talktalk.net has been hacked. I cannot login or reset my password because I cannot access this email. Please help. This email was used to set up some of my social media platforms and they have all been hacked. This is a matter of urgency.

Harry Mead
52 REPLIES 52

Message 41 of 53

I've removed your email address from public display,  @hmead96, as, even if someone else is using it, you want to get it back, and you don't want people associating it with your forum name and masquerading around etc.

Simply never display personal information in the public thread.

Staff will follow up during the day.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

Private Message

Message 42 of 53

Hello again. The advice of the techincal team has not seemed to work. They said wait 24 hours from yesterday at 4.15pm to try to log back into my talktalk webmail and select "forgot password". They said my alternate email would be there as an option to select. I just logged in 20 mins ago and it was not there. The only options for the recovery email to be sent to were my hacked email XXXXX REMOVED FOR SECURITY REASONS which I cannot access and the email of the hacker (******232@gmail.com - this is how it looks on my screen). I'm not sure what to do from here. I still cannot access my talktalk email and the hacker, therefore, still has access to my Instagram and Snapchat accounts. They have been posting on both for the past 48 hours. I'm very worried and would like to get this resolved as soon as possible.

Harry Mead
0 Likes

Message 43 of 53

Yes, I will do. Thank you for your help so far. I'll keep you posted.

Harry Mead
0 Likes

Message 44 of 53

OK, well, ignore everything I've done to assist and just wait until the 'phone Technical Support people come back and tell you they've set up your Reset details.

Come back and let us know when you have access once more so we can take this topic off hold and close it.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Message 45 of 53

Ok thank you. I have also been in contact with the Talktalk technical team via online chat. They have submitted a form which will take 24 hours to process. I have provided my alternate email and phone number to reset my password. I will just have to wait now I think?

Harry Mead
0 Likes

Message 46 of 53

TalkTalk staff will reply to you right here and will then send you a Private Message (PM - via the envelope icon under your avatar when signed in to Community). That PM will ask you to confirm the account holder details that were provided when the account holder first created / registered the email address and then will ask you for your password recovery alternate email address and mobile number that you wish to use in the password reset process. 

0 Likes

Message 47 of 53

I don't recognise the alternative email address. It's not mine so it must be the hacker's. Is there a way of getting a new password even though I do not have an alternative email set up? I have two other email addresses I can use.

Harry Mead
0 Likes

Message 48 of 53

Have you tried the forgotten password option to see if you do recognise the alternative email address as yours?

The Reset password now button in the help article  Changing your email password will take you to password reset and recovery. 

If you recognise the email address from the *****hint, then you can send that alternate email address a link to authorise a password reset. But if you don't recognise the address then the hacker will have changed that to lock you out of getting a new password

0 Likes

Message 49 of 53

Thank you for your help. 

Harry Mead
0 Likes

Message 50 of 53

TalkTalk Support will pick up this thread as soon as possible and if verification of your personal data is successful then you'll be hopefully back in action from mid-week onwards.

0 Likes

hmead96
Participant
Private Message
Message 51 of 53

Hi Gondola, thank you for the information. I've updated my information via the link you sent me. I'm still not sure how to access my talktalk email account? When will I be verified so that I can change my password for my talktalk email?

Harry Mead

Gondola
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 52 of 53

Hi hmead96 

I'll let TalkTalk know that the password recovery options aren't available because of the actions of a hacker. Do you know how the hacker discovered your password?

A TalkTalk Support member will need to verify you as the registered email user and set up your password recovery alternate email address and mobile number (the Reset details) so you can send a password reset link or code to authenticate a password change.

As this is urgent - prepare for TalkTalk Support - include in the Community Profile (not in these public posts):

Account holder name, TalkTalk home 'phone number (if not Data Only broadband)

Alternative mobile contact number. Full address with postcode (in the Location box)

Scroll down to Private notes to add the email address needing recovery

Check and Save changes

Select here: Update your profile

A TalkTalk Support member will reply to this thread and then Community Private Message you to confirm your customer account details and or details related to the original registration of the email address. Also requested will be the alternate email address and mobile number for password recovery Reset details.

When verified the Reset details will be set up during a working week within 24 hours allowing you to set your own password via the Forgotten your password journey. Make sure the password is ultra-strong and unique to the mailbox. Check via the  TalkTalk Mail sign in that you can access the mailbox.

For a compromised mailbox I'd always suggest scanning your email devices for viruses and malware before changing any password.

Use the new password to access via the  TalkTalk Mail sign in check there's no Auto forward or Filter rule diverting your mail messages. Hackers set up or modify Filter rules to spy on your emails.

• Select the Main settings menu cog icon      top right on the blue header
    (Unmigrated mailboxes - use a triple line icon and if using a Mobile browser - use the desktop version)
  • Select All settings... or Settings from the top of the menu
  • Select Mail
    (Unmigrated mailboxes - select the inward facing arrowhead by Mail (or Email) in the left side panel and select Filter rules)
  • Scroll down to Rules
    If you see There is no rule defined then you need go no further.
  • Select the Chevron icon > to expand the Rules section and to delete a Filter rule including any Auto forward
    select the X icon to the right of the rule
    (Unmigrated mailboxes it's the Dustbin icon   
    The icon background will turn red
  • To confirm you really want to delete this Filter rule
    Select the blue Delete button

Let us know if you need more guidance.

0 Likes