email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mail upgrade for dial.pipex account?

Mal469
Chat Champion
Message 66 of 66

I have today received notification emails about the TalkTalk mail upgrade to two dsl.pipex accounts (one an alias of the other).

Will I be receiving the same for my dial.pipex account, which I have had for ever, still use, and is now classed as a (free) legacy account, under the auspices of TalkTalk Business for some reason?

0 Likes
65 REPLIES 65

Message 21 of 66

Ady,

The telephone number in my profile is correct and current. It was used by Shamim from TTB to call me on Saturday. This last case was raised by me online, although I have phoned in the past, to whatever number I found on the TTB website. Shamim's call came from 0800 955 5511, but in her case message she advised me to call Support on 0803 083 3003 if necessary.

Regarding the password, back in Post #29 you noted that TalkTalk would need to look to see why a new password was not accepted, I having tried to change that on my primary Dial address, albeit through the DSL MyAccount, with which I had associated Dial address.  I would want to change it, as Shamim has attempted for me through TTB, to something memorable to me (but random to everyone else). What I want to avoid is locking myself out of my Dial webmail, which is working at the moment, by password confusion.

I almost feel that I am in the middle of a turf war. Back in Post #32 you said that Dial Pipex domains were used by home customers and TalkTalk Business, but that TT Consumer had been given control of all Pipex domains. TTB still seem to think I am one of theirs and only last week raised the (FOC) invoice for the next year's service. You seem to imply that I have been given duff gen.  I knew about the SPF problem, but have been told that the current issue is a DNS problem. 

I suspect that TalkTalk would prefer that we all go off and get Gmail or Hotmail accounts, so that the company doesn't have to worry about email at all.

Mal469

0 Likes

Message 22 of 66

Mal469, is the telephone number in your profile correct and current? What number are you calling for business support?

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 23 of 66

The email admins have changed an SPF certificate but that was last week and the fix was immediate. I can change a password for you and the effect is immediate not sure why you're waiting days for it. If I did it you would have to wait a few hours for a call with the new password but other than that there's no wait. 

There's an incident open for this problem, I'm working directly with the email team and I'm providing all the examples they have for the issue. So far we've not been able to identify the cause of the problem. We can't replicate even using the mailboxes of those affected. It just works everytime, that said we're committed to fixing the problem for all concerned. 

I'll have a chat with the business team to see where they're getting the information. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 24 of 66

I'm not trying to add it, it's there already! Do TTB know that my account is now under residential services? 

On Friday I was advised by TTB that the problem was ongoing and the case was closed. Invited to submit a review I gave a not very flattering report. This elicited a lengthy response from Shamim on Friday evening, and a long phone call on Saturday morning. Evidently the case was closed because otherwise auto-updates will be sent three times a day, which tends to annoy customers. She has now left it open but 'snoozed'.

She gave a lengthy report on the problem, which I am copying here for the benefit of others:-

"However, this is part of a network service incident which is causing issues across the Pipex service. ISP (Internet Service Provider) team have identified this is a result of some SMTP DNS changes that were done to prepare for the email migration and it can be fixed with a new certificate, which ISP have now ordered. A further update will be provided once more information has been provided and investigations have been done. Unfortunately, we do not have anything that we can offer as a temporary measure i'm afraid, neither we have a timescale when the issue will be resolved."

I may have misunderstood, but I believe that actual servers may have to be obtained.

She also offered to change my password, as she had the necessary admin authority to do so. She indicated that the change could take up to 24 hours to be effective. So far it has taken 54 hours! On her advice I am still using the old password until it stops working, lest I suffer the "3 strikes and you're out" lockout. 

Interestingly, whilst the TalkTalk Consumer platform requires for a password upper and lowercase letters, numerals and a punctuation character, the TTB system won't accept punctuation!

On my son's suggestion as a temporary measure I have set up auto-forwarding from my Dial account to my DSL account, which I can access with my email client. (at the moment!). 

Thanks for your continued interest.

Mal469

0 Likes

Message 25 of 66

You can't add a Pipex mail account to a TTB account their now managed under residential services. 

Ady

0 Likes

Message 26 of 66

Hi Ady,

For your further info - I raised a case yesterday with TalkTalk Business Support. Their response this morning was:-  'Pipex mail clients are currently experiencing issues with there mail accounts. This is a known issue and we are working to resolve the issue. At this time there is no further update. The cause of the issue has yet to be identified.'

This is not encouraging!!   I will refrain from commenting on the proposed takeover of the business.

Mal469

Message 27 of 66

Hi Ady,

I'm not sure quite what you are asking here. I can log into my Dial webmail using the primary account or its alias (which also happens to be my default contact email for my DSL account - not the recovery address). The same password works for both.

When using a mail client, the Dial account is described by its alias name but the server address is the primary account. For fun I tried changing the server address to the alias; it was accepted but nothing downloaded.

There are two other aliases associated with this Dial account. I added the primary to the listing under my DSL MyAccount, so that it would be associated and kept alive, but could the fact that it is a TTB account cause any confusion? Clutching at straws here. Should I make another direct approach to TTB support?

Mal469

0 Likes

Message 28 of 66

Hi Mal469, was that mail account that you used an alias by any chance? The mail for an alias all goes to the inbox of the primary of which it's an offshoot.

Ady

0 Likes

Message 29 of 66

Hi Ady,

I have done a bit of testing and found that I can send from the Dial account with both secure and unsecure settings (with my 8 character password), but nothing is received in my email client with either. The last download was on 29 Sept at 18:40. The confirmatory TalkTalk email at 21:55 did not get through. My DSL accounts continue to behave (touch wood!).

If you say that there is no open incident with Pipex mail at the moment, does that apply to the TTB side of things?  Am I stuck in a sort of limbo between the two sides of the business? I don't know when I can approach TTB again to see if a password change would help. I don't want to compromise access to my Webmail, which is still working at the moment.

Mal469

0 Likes

Message 30 of 66

Hi Mal649, there's no open incident for Pipex mail now.  However, lots of customers are reporting that they can't use the secure mail settings in their mail clients. Try using the unsecure settings for now and let me know what happens. 

Ady

0 Likes

Message 31 of 66

Hi,

Today I had a online chat with Richard on Support at TalkTalk Business, about my problem. He reported that there is currently an ongoing network incident that is affecting the Pipex servers. I continued that "I understand it is likely that my password is now too short to be acceptable. However, I see no way to change it. I did attempt to do so via the Consumer MyAccount but have been told that since my Dial Pipex account appears to be TTB that it is not possible."  He confirmed that "Under normal circumstances we would be able to change that for you here at TalkTalk Business. Due to the incident that is ongoing,, it is not possible as we are unable to access the systems required to amend this at the moment."

He confirmed that it had been escalated but there is no timescale for the repair yet.  It is being treated as a priority incident. 

I told him I wasn't holding my breath!

Mal469

0 Likes

Message 32 of 66

Hi Ady,

Sorry, I didn't see your latest reply before posting. In the past I have embarked on lengthy phone calls with TTB, but we are in new territory here.

Mal469

0 Likes

Message 33 of 66

Hi Gondola and Ady,

I guess that this thread has been buried by all the other messages over the weekend.

How soon might I expect a response from TalkTalk or TalkTalkBusiness? I can't be the only one in this mixed situation. Incidentally the Dial address is in the format abc12@dial.pipex.com. I just received an email notification (viewed in webmail) of a new invoice for my (TTB) Dial account, the annual no cost invoice, but once again I cannot make any of my passwords work to view it. This is becoming incredibly frustrating and time-wasting.

I, too, have been having btinternet emails timing out, even though my current DSL password is 10 characters including uppercase and numbers (admittedly without a punctuation character). One might embark on password upgrades if one didn't worry that, at the moment, it might lock one out completely.

Mal469

0 Likes

Message 34 of 66

Hi Mal469, I've passed your mail address onto the team to investigate. I may need to raise a fault ticket in the near future, but for now we'll play it by ear. 

Ady

0 Likes

Message 35 of 66

Hi Mal469 

OK, the thread is escalated to TalkTalk and I'm sure they'll see straight away if your home broadband service is linked to a TalkTalk Consumer MyAccount where the primary abcd12@dial.pipex.com needs to be linked.

I appreciate the confusion because pipex mail domains were used by both TalkTalk Business (TTB) and home customers.  TalkTalk Consumer (home customer division) were given the management responsibility of all pipex domains including dial.pipex.  To avoid disruption there was no change to the webmail login for pipex users that, until a few days ago, was the TTB netmail login. 

However, TTB billing for pipex mail customers ceased when the Consumer division took over the management of pipex mail because, until the introduction of MailPlus for non-TalkTalk Consumer, mail only, customers, there was no billing from Consumer for mail services. 

Hopefully, Ady will pick up on Monday to see the way forward.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

Message 36 of 66

Hi Gondola,

The MyAccount I was using is a Consumer Account (I think) based on abcd12@dsl.pipex.com. In this I associated the abc12@dial.pipex.com account, which isn't downloading emails, and there attempted the password change.

However, I believe the Dial account is considered a Business account (don't know why, perhaps historic). Confusingly it was a Consumer email on Tuesday that confirmed the upgrade, since when downloadsnceased. I don't think I have created a MyAccount for the Dial account. Accessing the account details that I can see, I can't find where to change the email password if I need to. Interestingly, in contrast to what has been specified here, the settings are given as Port 587 and Port 110, but no SSL and no authentication.

Incidentally, another DSL primary account is still working with an 8 character password at the moment.

Any idea where I go now?

Mal469

0 Likes

Message 37 of 66

Hi Mal469 

Just reading back through this thread before escalating - I'm not clear on whether you do have a TalkTalk Consumer MyAccount.  A TTB MyAccount wouldn't work.

Please confirm.

Message 38 of 66

Hi @Mal469 

OK, the original password would not be accepted as it does not meet security requirements but the email address is a primary so should have had a new password accepted. Therefore TalkTalk will need to investigate to see why a new password is not accepted.

Message 39 of 66

Hi Gondola,

The existing password is the original 8 lowercase alpha characters I have used for 20 years, and has been accepted consistently until this latest update.

I was applying the change to the primary abc12@dial.pipex.com (changed to protect the innocent).

Thanks for the escalation.

Mal469

0 Likes

Message 40 of 66

hi Mal469 

You should only have to wait a maximum of 5 minutes for the password change to go through.

But the system will only work correctly with a password change to a primary email address.

So, two questions before I escalate for a fault ticket:

• Is the existing password length less than 8 characters?
  • Are you entering the primary email address for a password change?