cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

One of my email addresses is unable to be accessed from from my email clients. Webmail is OK.

NeilH9
First Timer
Private Message
Message 5 of 5

I have deleted the account from Apple mail and if I try to add the account again a message is received saying "unable to verify account name or password" and will not launch. I have a Thunderbird mail client with the account but this returns a message "log in failed"

Talktalk webmail is functioning. I have spent several hours trying to sort this out on the helpline and chat. The address was working up until 12 January 2023 and I have a Talktalk email plus account for £50 / year. Is there a possibility that Talktalk have stopped my mail clients access? I have checked all the email settings of my accounts and they are all the same. Can anyone help me?

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4

Message 1 of 5

The iphone and iPad and MacBook Air running Ventura are all capable of secure mail to the TLS 1.2 encryption standard that's the minimum required for TalkTalk Mail.

Thunderbird 78 is not up to date and has not yet been withdrawn from support by Mozilla and will support TLS 1.2 on older devices.

However, MacOS 10.11 and Mail 9.3 is not capable of TLS 1.2 so must not be used with TalkTalk Mail. My advice would be to retire that Mac and in its place use the newer MacBook.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Message 2 of 5

Thanks for your advice. I'm sorry for the delay replying. (I wasn't sure how to)

I am using MAC with OSX El Capitan 10.11.6 with Apple Mail version 9.3

Thunderbird 78.10.0

Iphone7 OSX 15.7.3

iPad mini with OSX 12.5.6

MacBook Air Ventura 13.0.1  mail version 16

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 5

Looks like you've signed out of Community @NeilH9 .

Do you think you could sign in again and let us know what Apple devices you're using, what their Operating system is and what the email software version is. This is so advice can be given on compatibility of the device and the use of secure mail encryption to satisfy TalkTalk Mail security requirements.

Prepare for TalkTalk Support - include in the Community Profile (not in these public posts):

Scroll down to Private notes to add the customer email address and MailPlus account number

Check and Save changes

Select here: Update your profile

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 5

Hi NeilH9 

Good to know that webmail is working to keep you in touch.

As a last resort, TalkTalk are removing IMAP / POP3 access for mailboxes that are still being accessed using insecure email settings. You'll not be able to get any email client to authenticate a connection until full access is restored. Having the email address listed in your MailPlus MyAccount will mean that although you're no longer a TalkTalk Consumer home broadband customer your mailboxes will have full access whilst there's an active TalkTalk MailPlus subscription. But all mailboxes require secure mail access.

So we just need to get full access restored and, in the meantime, make sure you have the ability to use secure mail settings on all the mail collection services and devices you use to connect to any TalkTalk mailbox you have. I'll request full access be restored and that'll happen next week.

What Apple mail devices are you using? Apple was late in adopting TLS 1.2 secure mail encryption so some devices may not be capable of using secure mail to the required standard. I'll advise on compatibility.

Settings for Thunderbird are given below.

On updating the Thunderbird email software Server Settings (incoming mail) and outgoing SMTP server settings, for any active mailbox that does have IMAP / POP3 access, you'll possibly be asked to accept a new certificate (yes, accept) and to enter the email password when using Thunderbird to read or write emails so have the current password ready (when you've set a new password). Tick to remember or save the password before entering it. Each email address needs to have it's own settings and its own outgoing SMTP server because outgoing authentication requires the email account User Name and Password.

User Name is the full email address and Password is the email password.

• Start Thunderbird
  • Select the Thunderbird triple line menu top right
  • Select Account Settings from the menu
  • Select Server Settings under the email account name in the left side panel
  • Use the entries as shown in the table
  • Look down the left side panel to Outgoing Server SMTP
  • Select Edit to update the Outgoing server settings as per the lower entries in the table below - remember to select the correct Outgoing Server for the correct email account.

Thunderbird email client settings for all TalkTalk Mail domains including talktalk and tiscali and their sister email addresses are:

Account Type  IMAP secure Email Account
User Name Full email address
Password Email password
Incoming mail server (IMAP) mail.talktalk.net
Incoming Port 993
Incoming Connection Security SSL/TLS
Authentication Method Normal Password
Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp.talktalk.net
Outgoing Port 587
Outgoing Connection Security STARTTLS
Authentication Method Normal Password

If still in trouble take screenshots, image edit to obscure the first part of your email address and upload here using the camera icon above this Reply area.

Let me know when Thunderbird is back in action for secure email both incoming and outgoing. However, if you happen to have a POP3 account then the only difference to the above table is the incoming server port that's 995 for POP3 secure mail.

After you've changed the settings have another go. NB this is for the email accounts that have not had IMAP / POP3 access withdrawn as yet.

The TalkTalk Mail Support Hub is your go to resource for information, guides and Community support for TalkTalk Consumer home broadband and MailPlus subscribers.

Select here:
TalkTalk Mail Support

TalkTalk Mail help

Email settings and device setup guides for TalkTalk Mail

Setting up TalkTalk email on a Mac PC using Mac Mail

Setting up TalkTalk email on iPhone

Setting up TalkTalk email on iPad