email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outgoing server not available?

Scrumps
First Timer
Message 5 of 5

I've just built my father a new PC (for Xmas) and when I try and set up his POP 3 e-mail address (xxxxx@toucansurf.com) but when I try and "Test settings" I get a connection to the incoming e-mail server but it doesn't connect  to the outgoing server.

I can receive external e-mails correctly - but can't send at all - E-mails just stick in the Outbox with a "Send & receive " error.

I noted down all the settings from the old machine and have loaded them on the new one but no joy.

I've tried loading the settings in to my PC at home as a second account (to my primary) but still get the same problems.

I've tried going into the account via "mail2web.com" and can send and receive OK so the password I've used is valid and works!

Any help gratefully received.

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4

Message 1 of 5

Hi Scrumps, thanks for posting back to let us know that Gondola has helped you get this sorted. I've marked Gondolas post as the best answer for you. This will help other members find the same fix that helped you more quickly. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 2 of 5

Hi Scrumps 

Nice one. We appreciate you taking time out to let us know the settings are all working.

Happier New Year from Gondola and family.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved + Accept as Solution

Message 3 of 5

Gondola - Thanks.

Settings above applied and all working.

Still wondering why we've had to change them and no notification beforehand!

Scrumps

Gondola
Community Star
Message 4 of 5

Hi Scrumps 

Worth checking that the toucansurf webmail is working as expected and that sending mail is ok.  So open an Internet browser like Chrome or Firefox.

Enter the toucansurf email address, select Continue.

Enter the toucansurf email password, select Sign in.

Compose and send the same mailbox address a mail message. Check that the sent mail is copied to the Sent objects folder and arrives in and stays in the mailbox Inbox.

Is your father a TalkTalk Consumer home broadband customer and if so is the toucansurf email address added to his customer MyAccount? Managing your email in My Account 

Assuming that the answer is yes and therefore there will not be any restriction to webmail only access.

The recommended setting for an email client is shown in the IMAP account column. The same folders that are seen via an Internet browser will be seen in the email client. But you can if you choose use POP3 but this interacts with the Inbox only. Remember that if you wish mail messages to be seen on multiple devices to either use IMAP or set the POP3 account to leave a copy of messages on the server.

The Toucansurf email settings you need are:

Account Type  IMAP (recommended) POP3
Login / Username user.name@toucansurf.com user.name@toucansurf.com
Password toucansurf password
toucansurf password
Incoming mail server mail.talktalk.net mail.talktalk.net
Incoming Port 993 995
Incoming Security SSL SSL
Outgoing mail server smtp.talktalk.net smtp.talktalk.net
Outgoing Port 587 587
Outgoing Security STARTTLS STARTTLS
Outgoing Authentication Yes, Normal password
Yes, Normal password

The email address is of the form firstname.lastname@toucansurf.com

If you need specific advice for an email client let me know which one you're using. Or you could simply use an Internet browser and sign in to webmail as there's no special settings required.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved + Accept as Solution