email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

POP Server not working?

RonM99
Conversation Starter
Message 17 of 17

Not receiving mail since Wednesday 12 May evening. MS Outlook using POP for receiving mail responding with error (10060) - cannot connect to POP Server.

tiscali.co.uk addresses.

Sending and webmail seem OK

Ronnie

16 REPLIES 16

Message 1 of 17

Hi all, just to clarify it was an unplanned change to DNS records that led to tiscali records defaulting to very old versions that obviously no longer work. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 17

@Gondola wrote:

Ron, just to let you know that today's situation is not a planned system change it's a system fail as I cannot see any other explanation for what I'm seeing in testing.

@Gondola , thanks for that information.

I had just assumed that after many years, they had decided to consolidate all their legacy companies onto the TalkTalk domain and (knowing how TalkTalk tend to operate at times) hadn't bothered to warn us.

Message 3 of 17

@Gondola wrote:

Ron, just to let you know that today's situation is not a planned system change it's a system fail as I cannot see any other explanation for what I'm seeing in testing.

So is it another issue with server certificates like we had yesterday (main talktalk.net domain I think it was) now spread to most of the legacy domains?

Eureka! Pipex mailboxes have migrated!
0 Likes

Message 4 of 17

@Gondola wrote:

The Ideas Hub is for useful suggestions.

Thanks @Gondola 

Hint taken! 🙂

0 Likes

Message 5 of 17

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

RonM99
Conversation Starter
Message 6 of 17

@stevesurrey 

Just to say I fully agree with your comment on the need for prior warning on system changes.

I guess there might be quite a few email users out there with legacy addresses who will be wondering what has happened to their incoming messages. Probably not many who use/check this Forum.

I wonder if TalkTalk phone or chat support will be helpful?!

Thanks again to @Gondola 

Ronnie

Message 7 of 17

The Ideas Hub is for useful suggestions.

Message 8 of 17

Sticky Posts and the Help Hub are all very welcome (I do use them) but I suspect the vast majority of TalkTalk customers never look at them. You certainly dont routinely check the support hub to see if the recommended server settings have been changed. Since most customers get an email once a month about their bill it would be so much more helpful if such critical changes were brought to our attention there. A short banner message with a link to the Hub would be so simple.

Message 9 of 17

Hi AllyM 

Just to humbly acknowledge your thanks.

Faults / mistakes happen at the least expected moments. I don't see the current tiscali incoming mail issue as in any way planned by TalkTalk although sometimes the email admins do seem to inhabit a ring-fenced world where talking to us outsiders doesn't happen.

The recommended settings for email clients were planned and published via the TalkTalk Mail Support Hub (Email settings - find out more) a while back.

Kudos to ypvs24 for mentioning the sticky posts at the head of the Email forum.  This is Ady and me increasing the self-help content for current issues that members can hopefully take advantage of in addition to the Support Hub content.

Message 10 of 17
There is a sticky above from Gondola about updating legacy mail settings

Message 11 of 17

@Gondola excellent advice.

It may sound silly, but I didn't even think to try  mail.talktalk.net.

It would have been nice if they had given us some advance warning that they were going to do that.

Message 12 of 17

Worked for me too. Thanks.

I'm not surprised if there has been a merger of mail servers for ease of maintenance

RonM99
Conversation Starter
Message 13 of 17

Hi @Gondola 

OK I will update.

Thanks for help.

Ronnie

Message 14 of 17

Hi Ronnie

The mail settings Email settings - IMAP & POP3 are good for all TalkTalk consumer managed domains. i.e. they can use the talktalk.net host name and servers.

So, I'd recommend upgrading to use the talktalk.net host names and keep those settings. A password may need to be provided so save / remember the password.

RonM99
Conversation Starter
Message 15 of 17

Hi @Gondola 

Thanks, that fixed it.

Do I leave this setting or wait for the pop.tiscali.co.uk to be fixed?

What about the SMTP setting? Should this be changed?

Ronnie

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 16 of 17

Hi @RonM99 

Server is there but the security certificate doesn't seem to be accessible for the tiscali.co.uk domain.

Change the incoming mail server host name to mail.talktalk.net