email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

POP3 Support

JimSmith
Whizz Kid
Message 7 of 7

I recently received the email from TT about the email upgrade. In this I was told that I have a POP3 client connecting to the mailbox. This is intentional and without doing a serious amount of reprogramming I cannot use IMAP on that client. Please advise what TT's long term intentions are with regards to continuing to support the POP3 protocol.

Jim
0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6

Message 1 of 7

Hi JimSmith, I've had no information to say that we're planning to stop supporting POP. I do know that it's the bane of the Email Admins' lives and if they had their way POP would no longer be supported, but the business has not yet made that decision and I'm not aware that it's even going to be considered. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 7

Thanks. Currently I have an export to .pst running with "do not export duplicates" set, I'll see what that does, although the delete account and start again (letting it download afresh from the server) will probably be a winner. After creating a backup, of course!

Thanks again. emoticon.thumbsup.title

Jim

Message 3 of 7

...I was going to reply and say you'll get a couple of emails in the week prior to the upgrade, so a few days' notice. The email you got was the first and indicated there's a week to go.

The hint about what would happen is in this sentence. "An IMAP set up will allow you to automatically synchronise your emails on TalkTalk Mail to any device and will prevent your messages from being duplicated after the upgrade."

The bulk of the emails now being downloaded to the POP3 account aren't new ones just the reindexed old ones left in the mailbox prior to the upgrade and will duplicate those previously downloaded. The issue now is to recover the POP3 email client performance by deleting the duplicates. It's not an easy task. But if the emails on the server represent all the emails you wish to keep you could simply delete the POP3 account on the device, set it up again keeping copies on the server, mark all emails as unread and download again.

I'm sure that if POP3 access is withdrawn at some time in the future then there will be advance notice.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved + Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Message 4 of 7

Hi Gondola

Oh BUM! After I posted the reply to your helpful message I saw that I had just received an email from TT saying that the upgrade was complete. I now have a couple of thousand unread emails to deal with.

Hey Ho!

Thanks for the help 🙂

Jim
0 Likes

Message 5 of 7

Hi Gondola

The body of the email is:

Password recovery:
If you don’t remember your password or you’re unsure your password recovery details are up to date, we’d like you to change your password and update your account details. You can do so here.

Keep your calendar:
If you also use the calendar feature in the current TalkTalk webmail:
Please visit our helpful site for steps to back up your calendar so you don’t lose any of the information. Be quick – there’s only a week to go.

Device set-up:
We’ve also noticed that some of your devices use a POP3 set-up to retrieve emails from your mailbox. This is an old set up that most email systems no longer support. To bring you the best customer experience, we recommend that you change your settings from POP3 to IMAP as soon as possible. An IMAP set up will allow you to automatically synchronise your emails on TalkTalk Mail to any device and will prevent your messages from being duplicated after the upgrade.

For information on how to switch from POP3 to IMAP click here.

There's very little information that helps. I have the server settings such that messages are left on the server until deleted completely from the client, so that I can use IMAP on my portable devices. If I know just when the change-over will happen I can prepare appropriately (create a backup of the PST file for instance).

Jim
0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 6 of 7

Hi Jim

My understanding is that both IMAP and POP3 accounts can be used with the new TalkTalk Mail platform.  TalkTalk will confirm.

There is a heads-up for some legacy email accounts.  When they are migrated to the new TalkTalk Mail platform, the way the emails are indexed, for the POP3 UIDL command, will have to change.  This will cause all emails stored on the server to be downloaded again by POP3 email clients.  If your POP3 client operates in the default mode of downloading and deleting from the server then this isn't an issue.

Did the email mention this specifically or just recommend that you switch to using an IMAP account?  A screenshot of the email advice (obscure any personal data) would be good to see so we know what's being sent out.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved + Accept as Solution

0 Likes