email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipex POP increasing sync errors making the service unuseable

Artistef
Chat Champion
Message 53 of 53

I have a long standing Pipex account and over the last few months I have several had long periods - sometimes an entire afternoon, when I cannot receive e-mails. My connection has been down all day today, and intermittent for the last week. I am using pop.dsl.pipex with Outlook for Mac v16.9, and I get regular sync errors, either 'Connection to server failed or was dropped' or "An operation on the server timed out'. The messages are there when i use a netmail on a browser, and I don't seem to have any trouble sending. I have other devices connecting with IMAP and they seem unnaffected, but I need the POP account for my workflow. Does anyone have a fix?

0 Likes
52 REPLIES 52

Artistef
Chat Champion
Message 1 of 53

Just an update. For the last month it's been been taking an average of 24 hours for Outlook to connect for long enough to get emails over POP. I have become entirely reliant on Thunderbird set up for IMAP to get functioning email. I will be doing a system update with a clean install when convenient and when I do that I will probably abandon POP completely as it really is a complete basket case.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 53

Unfortunately, that's not how the complaints process works. You'll need to open complaints individually not as a group. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 53

No, I've not complained to the CEO team. Others have tried and got nowhere. Perhaps you could complain to that team on our behalf and show them all the threads on this forum with the same issue and give them lists of all the individual fault tickets you have raised on this problem ?

Eureka! Pipex mailboxes have migrated!
0 Likes

Message 4 of 53

As one of the other members did you can raise a complaint to the CEO team.

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 53

OCE_ADY yes the problems may be intermittent but they are persistent and have been ongoing for several months. In my experience they occur multiple times a day.  Just because the problem doesnt suit TT's investigation standards doesnt mean it doesnt exist. What other routes do we have to escalate this issue further ?

0 Likes

Message 6 of 53

The admins will test the connections in webmail. They've consistently found a temporary issue after testing the individual mailboxes that have been reported as having the issue. They won't test anything on the mail servers unless they see significant numbers.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 53

@Ady-TalkTalk wrote:

"Individual fault tickets are closed as right when tested"

But are the email admins actually doing any testing to try to access the problem mailboxes using POP/IMAP, if not then any testing they are doing is pointless and is never going to reproduce the issue.

If the admins could just set up a mailbox to test with using POP and then try to connect to it from outside your TalkTalk corporate network I'm sure they would see the problem.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 53

You're very welcome. 

0 Likes

Pal353
Super Duper Contributor
Message 9 of 53

Thanks for your reply Ady. I am pleased that Webmail will still be available.

Pal353
0 Likes

Message 10 of 53

Hi Pal353, webmail is not affected by the closing of the webspace service. The problem with the POP issues for Pipex is that it's intermittent and not affecting enough of you at the same time to generate the necessary amount of noise to be an incident. Individual fault tickets are closed as right when tested as they're so intermittent. 

0 Likes

Pal353
Super Duper Contributor
Message 11 of 53

Hi Ady. I was at my daughter’s who is a non-legacy TalkTalk customer but I don’t know her settings. I use the TalkTalk home page and log in with my email address and password, then select dsl.pipex.com from the drop-down list. I have used the same system at home this afternoon with a bit more success. Do I understand from your reply to another query that access to Webmail will cease on 16 July? If so, will there be a replacement for those many occasions when none of my three email clients work? Or will everything be fine once ex-Pipex customers are moved to the new TalkTalk server? I have a gmail address which never has any problems at all and may soon reach the conclusion that I will have to use that for all emails.

Pal353
0 Likes

Message 12 of 53

Hi Pal353, could you sign in using POP then or did that fail too?

0 Likes

Pal353
Super Duper Contributor
Message 13 of 53

An example of when Webmail isn't working is now. 9.35 pm on Monday 2 July. I did eventually log in but then was unable to open any messages. Yet again not good enough.

Pal353
0 Likes

Message 14 of 53

Just for the record, I use webmail as a fallback to check that the fault definitely lies between the server and my e-mail client, all my mail is usually on webmail, perhaps a conversation with BT Openreach might reveal something. The problem has been ongoing in varying degrees for years now, and I suspect that at the heart of it is POPs obsolescence, it must have a shrinking client-base, along with shrinking tech support. I sometimes have the notion that the server manager occasionally defaults to dialup and routes everything through a dusty old modem in the basement!

0 Likes

Pal353
Super Duper Contributor
Message 15 of 53

A comment on webmail. When I cannot get emails using any of three programmes I have, I resort to webmail. Sometimes I can then get them, other times webmail is not available. I am concerned that OCE Ady cannot get the people who matter to take the problem seriously, but not surprised as they have been ignoring it for months, if not years. I read elsewhere that those of us with “legacy” accounts will be moved in due course to the wonderful new TalkTalk email programme, but we will still keep,our old Pipex or Tiscali email addresses. So I continue to stick with TalkTalk, though its share price has fallen sharply and I read that a takeover is not beyond the bounds of possibility. But we legacy customers really have suffered and no-one seems to do much about it.

Pal353
0 Likes

Message 16 of 53
So they can't assess our problem when we are actually using the functionality that has the problem, they can only assess our problem when we use WebMail, which they know works perfectly, wonderful !

My experience of this issue so far is that I have no problem with WebMail at all, I don't use it often, but whenever I have it has worked perfectly. It sounds like they are trying to prove if our mailboxes are corrupt or damaged in some way with their testing. I thought we had already established this was not the case months ago.

It doesn't feel like there is any issue with our mailboxes themselves (which is why WebMail works fine, and why they can never find an issue when they examine the mailboxes of people that tickets have been logged for). The problem feels like it is in the authentication layer, so we are not being authenticated successfully, and therefore can't get to our perfectly happy and functioning mailboxes.
0 Likes

Message 17 of 53

Sorry but I never use webmail and really not sure what that will prove as my problem is connecting to the POP servers, which is the same issue that everyone else has as far as I can see.

0 Likes

Message 18 of 53

Hi stevesurrey, the only update is that they can't assess your problem whilst you're using POP3 and they need you to test in Webmail. If you could just do the old double check when it fails in POP3 quickly test webmail. I know you've all said it affects all forms of login to our servers, but I can't get them to take this seriously. 

0 Likes

Artistef
Chat Champion
Message 19 of 53

For the last week the time between the errors has increased slightly allowing most of my e-mails to get through. For a moment I thought it was fixed, but a brief scan of the error messages shows the problem is still very much at large.

0 Likes

Message 20 of 53

It seems much the same. Got a little better for a while but by no means working perfectly, and now seems much the same as it has been for several months.

0 Likes