email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can't download onetel emails to Outlook or Thunderbird

RebGershon
First Timer
Message 8 of 8

Hi, I'm new around here. I have had a Onetel email address since May 2002 and had been a broadband and later on phone customer as well but have not had a Onetel account per se for many years now although I was able to retain my email address. I have some questions/comments. I have always used a mail reader program initially Netscape mail then Outlook Express until that was axed by Microsoft and since then I've used Thunderbird.

1. I had the same problem with my email account as Simon and had received 2 emails last week from TalkTalk advising an impending upgrade to TalkTalk mail and advising changing to Imap. No mention was made about POP3 server account name changes which appear to be twofold: a: using your full Onetel email address and b: changing the 'o' to uppercase. Having done these 2 alterations about 15 minutes ago I'm now downloading to Thunderbird again. Phew!!

2. Last Friday I must have spent nearly an hour on the phone to a TalkTalk-Ontel support agent who never mentioned anything about the above changes and was only really interested in getting me to setup an Imap account which we did and then spent ages telling me that the reason why the changes are taking place is because TalkTalk are intending to close down the email addresses of anyone who isn't paying for their address like myself or pay £50/year for the privilege of keeping the address open! They have done the same thing with a Tiscali address I have too. I thanked him for his help with the Imap but replied that why would I pay £50 when I can just migrate to a free Gmail or similar address.

A lot of time and frustration could have been saved if only the support guy could have told me what I found tonight on the website after googling.

3. I tried to sign up for the forum but was told my email address was already in use-news to me. I requested a password reset in the hope that my username would be revealed and when the reset email address arrived it was addressed to 'Hey ER_R003_004284_1'.

Is there anyway of changing this to a username of my choice?

Thank you in appreciation of your help and replies.

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

Message 1 of 8

Hi RebGershon, username is now changed. It looks like Gondola's covered all the bases in the support of your other issue.

Please let us know how you get on. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 8

Hi ER_R003_004284_1 

OK, so a bit of explanation is needed.

Onetel mail was introduced as an email service that offered a basic insecure connection to the mail server. To assure the connection to an SMTP sender is genuine that connection must be made from the TalkTalk network to get IP address authentication. Many networks block port 25 outgoing connections anyway and do not usually support email relaying. Orange did support email relaying.

From a non TalkTalk network you'll not get IP address authentication. So, that's why you've ended up using a personal domain sender that is designated as a permitted sender for your onetel outgoing mail.

Using SSL/TLS encryption to provide authentication and a username and a password to sign in to the tiscali mail server via DNS lookup should work perfectly well from the majority of UK networks.

You should be able to use your outgoing personal domain server in the same way as you do for onetel.  So the answer to your question is you don't need to use the tiscali SMTP server... but I can't see a reason not to use it. 

Your email client would select the outgoing SMTP server that's specified in the email account settings when you first set up the account for your tiscali email.

You're getting a fail of username or password so what's being presented to the incoming tiscali mail server is not recognised as a valid or acceptable login to download your mail messages.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . and to help others Best Answer

Message 3 of 8

Hi again Gondola,

thanks for the information re the username change.

Not quite sure what you mean by 'What error message do you get when trying to send a mail message from your tiscali email address back to itself when using Thunderbird?' Do you mean sending an email using thunderbird to myself?

All my outgoing going messages are set to go through a Zoho account as I haven't been able to send out using onetel for years. I used to use orangehome for a while after cancelling EE until they closed down the service and as I couldn't send via Onetel I looked around for a free email service firstly using GMX mail but then had problems with them.

If I try to retrieve emails from Tiscali I get: 'Sending of password for user username@tiscali.co.uk did not succeed. Mail server pop.tiscali.co.uk responded: Invalid login or password'

Do I have to use their SMTP address in settings as well perhaps? It's just so much easier to have 1 default outgoing server.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 8

Hi ER_R003_004284_1 

The Community username has to be changed for you by an OCE. Now that you've chosen a new username I'll escalate to OCE_Ady to change the Community username to the one you've chosen and placed in Private notes. Ady can see that and if acceptable will change it for you. 

The Thunderbird settings look just fine to me. What error message do you get when trying to send a mail message from your tiscali email address back to itself when using Thunderbird?

Message 5 of 8

Hi Gondola and thanks for your reply.

I've done as you suggested and put the username I want in the private notes box of profile page and pressed save but nothing seems to have changed.

Also, having had success with Onetel emails in Thunderbird I thought I'd retry Tiscali. My address and password log in on the webmail page but not in Thunderbird. I've checked and rechecked the settings which are currently:

Server type: pop mail server

Server name: pop.tiscali.co.uk

Username: myusername@tiscali.co.uk Port: 995

Connection Security: SSL/TLS

Authentication Method: Normal Password

but still no downloads.

Again, am I missing something vital here?

with Thunderbird. so it does seem case sensitive for me anyway.

0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 6 of 8

Hi ER_R003_004284_1, it was late on Friday when we discovered what was wrong. The comms to staff to let them know may not have been available at the time you called.  

Re everything else Gondola has got you covered it seems. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Gondola
Community Star
Message 7 of 8

Hi @RebGershon 

You can choose a new Community username.

To make sure your preferred name isn't already in use you can use the search bar top centre of Community pages. Select Members from the blue drop down pre-selector and key in your preferred username to see if it's unique.

Put the username in your Community profile Personal Information, Private notes - Personal Information (Click here): then scroll down to Private notes to add and then save changes.

I'm pleased you got Thunderbird back in action with the Username change to the complete onetel email address. I don't think a capital is at all mandatory as that's not in the specification.

The details of TalkTalk Mail Plus are in the link. Try TalkTalk Mail as it's way easier to manage than Gmail and the labelling faff. But each to their own. It's £5 a month or £4.17 a month equivalent if paying £50 up front for the year and you get 5 mailboxes so that's £1 a month or less per mailbox. You'll get time to try before you get restricted to webmail only access prior to deletion.

And if you come to TalkTalk for your home broadband service then any Mail Plus subscription ceases because TalkTalk Mail is free for TalkTalk Consumer home broadband customers.