cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Reset Email password and verification codes explanation in simple terms please

cruiseblogger
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 6

I am getting really confused and need some help.

I have decided its time to change the password for our emails but dont understand this verification code.  We have been with talk talk for a long time and dont have this set up.

What is confusing me is this: I know if I log into the community I dont need a password just a verification code.

If I set up verification for My account does that mean I dont put a password in any more just a code or is the verification for simply making changes?  ie i still log in with a password or would I no longer be able to log in without a verification code too?

Then same for emails.  Occasionally I use the webmail to look at emails and login with a password does this mean if I set verification up I would only log in with the code or can I still log in with a password and the verification is only there as a safety net if I make changes?

I read to change email password hit the I have forgotten my password button but then an email would go to our email and then would I still be able to open my email to get this code

Sorry I am driving myself around in circles with this.

Years back I could simply go into the account and change the password Life is becoming so complicated these days

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

Sorry  I think I need to get myself out of the panic mode first and consume all this.  I will go and read it properly.  I havent managed to get to the password recovery bit yet.  I am pretty sure these havent been set up.  

I really do appreciate your effort and detailed explantion

Message 2 of 6

You're making this difficult by doing things that I haven't asked you to do. I expected you to read the help content Changing your email password but clearly that was my expectation.

Hopefully you'll have pre-registered for password recovery an alternate email address and mobile number. Either can be selected in the password reset process to receive an emailed link or a 6 digit code by mobile text message to authenticate a password change. It's worth checking these Reset details are present and correct before opting to change the password. 

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your email address and your email password, select Sign in. Update your reset details is an option on the User login menu top right on the blue header. Check, update and Save the Reset details if needed, then use the Reset password now button in the help page  Changing your email password.

My recommendation is to exceed the minimum required and use a password of 12-15 multicase letters and numbers and a symbol. A new password created from multiple words gives an opportunity to memorise the password that, for security, needs to be unique to the mailbox. The Internet browser that you use for TalkTalk Mail may also offer to generate a secure password and can save the login for you.

Use  TalkTalk Online Defence (SuperSafe) to keep your security strong and, as part of TalkTalk's security, is a  Password Manager that is useful for generating unique passwords, keeping those passwords secure, ready for your login.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Message 3 of 6

So I have just logged into our account and hit the extra security button to set up verification codes.  It said are you sure you want to do this I will need an app on my phone?

We dont do apps and gadgets so even more confused

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 6

The sign in to email is with the email address and password.

To change the email password you first set up password recovery options (Update your reset details) with an alternate email address and mobile number to receive the reset link or 6 digit code. Then if you have forgotten the password, cannot sign in to email, or don't have access to your customer MyAccount you have password reset options to use.

The TalkTalk Mail Support Hub is your go to resource for information, guides and Community support for TalkTalk Consumer home broadband and MailPlus subscribers.

Select here:
TalkTalk Mail Support

TalkTalk Mail help

Changing your email password

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

cruiseblogger
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 6

And also if I change the My account password does this automatically change the password for emails too or is this seperate

0 Likes