cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Restricted to webmail

Andy47
Chatterbox
Private Message
Private Message

Message 9 of 9

My access to email via Thunderbird has been stopped.

I get the following message:-

Login to server mail.talktalk.net with username obscured for customer security failed.

My settings are as described on Talktalk pages

Server Settings

Server Name: - mail.talktalk.net

Port: -993

Connection security: - SSL/TLS

Authentication Method: - Normal password

Outgoing Server (SMTP)

Server Name: - smtp.talktalk.net

Port: - 587

Connection security: - STARTTLS

Authentication Method: - Normal password

Please reactivate my email.

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Andy47
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 1 of 9

Thanks, Ady access via Thunderbird is working again.

Message 2 of 9

Hi Andy47, your mailbox should be in full working order. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Andy47
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 3 of 9

I tried to use Thunderbird on Wed 22 March at 22:30 but was unable to

Got error message

Login to server mail.talktalk.net with username xxxxxxxxxx@onetel.com failed

Message 4 of 9

Hi Andy47, I've added your mailbox to those to be restored to normal function. Please allow 48 hours for the change to complete.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 9

Thanks for your help Gondola.

I am fairly sure that Thunderbird is the problem. I changed my password and since then have only used Thunderbird and webmail on Chrome on Windows and Android.

Message 6 of 9

Thanks for your help Ady.

I have updated my profile to show my email address.

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 7 of 9

Hi Andy47, please add the affected email address to private notes in your community profile so that I can get it restored to full service for you.

Ady

Gondola
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 9

The secure mail settings for Thunderbird are good so I've asked that full access is restored for the mailbox email address in your Community profile, Personal information, Private notes.

TalkTalk Support will respond here and then restore IMAP4 / POP3 access as soon as reasonably possible. Until full access is switched back on, use TalkTalk Mail webmail via an up to date Internet browser to keep in touch with email contacts.

Are you confident that no help is necessary checking other services / devices / email software for compatibility with TLS 1.2 encryption and the incoming and outgoing server settings in use? Did you identify the insecure settings, for example? Was the culprit device or software just Thunderbird using legacy settings that got a stop on sending or mailbox access switched off because ports 25 (SMTP) or 110 (POP) or 143 (IMAP) were used?

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution