cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Security Breach

willh-g
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 3

Sometime on or before 31st March an additional set of email folders appeared, appended to the end of my mother-in-law's normal folders, in the webmail interface. I have spent 2 lengthy chat sessions with the support team on her behalf but they have not been able to resolve the issue.
It is not a caching issue as trying on a new device gives the same result.

I have contacted the other account owner suggesting they urgently seek help from their end.

Unless TalkTalk can get this resolved quickly I will be raising the data breach with the ICO for investigation as it is obviously not an isolated incident.

I can provide a screenshot of the issue as well as the details of the accounts to TalkTalk support if requested.

0 Likes
2 REPLIES 2

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 1 of 3

Hi willh-g, the security team have been able to identify the cause of the problem. You mother in law's mailbox has been hacked as has the one she's seeing folders for. The hacker has added the other mail account into your mother in laws webmail so that they can manage both without the need to keep logging in and out. She needs to run antivirus and malware checkers on every internet connected device she has. Then she needs to reset her email password. If she resets the password before scanning her devices she may well remain hacked as they spot the change and use the new password.  Let me know when that's done please.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 2 of 3

Thanks very much. Your prompt response has enabled security to investigate this issue. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.