cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Security Breach

geoffcort
Popular Poster
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 12

Yesterday all the details of another talktalk user were posted on my e-mail account page, personal messages, the lot! His outgoing e-mails were all scam alerts. Since then my incoming e-mail has been blocked. I attach a screen dump. I tried to post this yesterday but it does not seem to have gone through!

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11

Message 1 of 12

@geoffcort PLEASE DON'T IGNORE THIS. 

Thanks to another customer providing their information,  the security team have been able to identify the cause of the problem. Your mailbox has been hacked as has the one your're seeing folders for. The hacker has added the other mail account into your webmail so that they can manage both without the need to keep logging in and out. You need to run antivirus and malware checkers on every internet connected device she has. Then you need to reset your email password. If you reset the password before scanning your devices you may well remain hacked as they spot the change and use the new password.  Let me know when that's done please.

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 12

Hi willh-g, please start a new topic and PM me with the name of the folders you're seeing that you shouldn't and the TalkTalk address that is showing them. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 12

Hi GeoffCort, please confirm the affected email address so that we can resolve this. 

Ady

0 Likes

Message 4 of 12

You must start your own thread for this, @willh-g.

Return to the message board and click start a topic. 

Your own personal information details must be complete in the profile area too and also add your mother-in-law's details, in Private Notes, at the end of that section. 

Go via your avatar, settings etc....SAVE CHANGES. 

Staff will pick up your new thread during the week. They are not on here at weekends. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

willh-g
Sightseer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 12

I am having exactly the same issue with my elderly mother-in-law's account. Sometime on or before 31st March an additional set of email folders appeared, appended to the end of her normal folders, in the webmail interface. I have spent 2 lengthy chat sessions with the support team on her behalf but they have not been able to resolve the issue.
It is not a caching issue as trying on a new device gives the same result.

I have contacted the other account owner suggesting they urgently seek help from their end.

Unless TalkTalk can get this resolved quickly I will be raising the data breach with the ICO for investigation as it is obviously not an isolated incident.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 12

If this isn't your registered email its affected please let me know straight away.

Ady

0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 7 of 12

Thanks for the additional info. I'll get it over to security and the email team. 

Ady

0 Likes

geoffcort
Popular Poster
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 12

I have now realised that it is not Mr. Dalrymple's e-mail account that I am seeing but his name has been posted as a an additional archive folder under "My Folders". It then has numerous sub-folders containing all sorts of personal information, which is still being added to!

I have now contacted him to make him aware of the beach of his privacy and since I now have no alternative but to leave Talk Talk, I was finally (and rapidly) contacted from sales by a sentient human being to whom I was able to give all the details. She said she would report it - but I am not holding my breath. As I will be obliged to continue using my Talk Talk e-mail addresses for a while longer, I would be grateful (as I am sure Mr. Dalrymple would) if you could - finally - remove his personal data from my account page.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 12

Hi geoffcort, I've logged into your account and can see only 3 email addresses. Is that what you see? If so which one is not yours?

Ady

0 Likes

geoffcort
Popular Poster
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 12

Thank you Ady. I have scanned all devices and changed my password. The account now appears unblocked. However, I still have Robert Dalrymple's e-mail account on my account page and can read all of his personal messages, which I believe may well infringe your privacy and security policies. Will you advise him of this or shall I? I can do so from an external e-mail address, as I think my talktalk ones must be compromised. When will you remove his address from my accounts page? 

0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 11 of 12

Hi geoffcort, have you reset your password for the email address having also scanned all your internet devices for viruses?

Ady

0 Likes